Writing what family won't read.

Status
Not open for further replies.

heyjude

Making my own sunshine
Registered
Reaction score
The Bible is pretty full of violence, cursing, sexual infidelity, and more, and yet it is God's Word and extremely redemptive in nature. Does that carry over to fiction writing? It's a question we have to all wrestle with as writers and find where we arrive.

I love this. Most of my writing is dark in nature, but often I'm exploring how far down we can go before there's no redemption.

Of course, there's always redemption. No one's past hope. That's probably the overarching theme of my writing, if I had to pin one down.

Peirs, by the way, wrote a blurb for the book's back cover.:)

Oh, that's neat!

RJLeahy

Banned
Reaction score
Yeah heyjude, I thought so too. Both he and Ben Bova were very kind in that regard.

Lavern08

Sit Down, and Shut Up!
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
... I'm more concerned about whether or not I could sit down with Jesus and read it together without getting embarrassed or ashamed.

Our actions are a reflection of our beliefs. The things we read, watch, listen to, write, do, say, think about, how we spend our time... they're all reflections of our beliefs and the results are eternal.

Yeah that ^ ;)

Fabor

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
Washington state of the United States, Earth, in t
For myself this is a very interesting topic. I originally wanted to write a book that I wouldn't be embarrassed to have any of my family, friends or God read. I think I've stayed true to it.

Something that I learned early on in learning to write is that What we take in from all sources becomes the content we use to write. I want to write stuff that gives other peoples lives good content.

That all said we all write what we are comfortable with. Good luck to everyone else and keep writing.

katci13

creative genie
Registered
Reaction score
I let my characters be themselves, but I will draw the line if it's too much because it doesn't add anything to the story. I'm pretty comfortable with things in general so if I'm offended, I cut it back. And I don't let my characters say anything that offends me. And cursing and saying God at the same time offends me.

Honestly though, I have prayed a lot about the content of my stories in the past. At the end of the day, my conscious is clear and I feel that what I choose to write about it okay.

But I do write paranormal fantasy and my family and coworkers and friends are not all thrilled about it. I do get criticism and "concerned" lectures about it sometimes. However, it's what I want to write. I'm not writing it for them. It's your book so do whatever you want to do. Oftentimes I feel like people worry about the content because they don't understand it or feel like it's breaking some kind of iron clad biblical law. I respect that and I will never ask them to read it and it doesn't bother me that they don't want to either.

I read on a author's blog once that one of the keys to being a successful writer is to never apologize for what you write. If you feel secure about it and believe in it, then do it. Don't let other people force their concerns on you.

motilfan

Registered
Reaction score
I appreciate the thought about Jesus reading what I write. Thanks, Plain and Simple! I agree; whether my writing is intended for the Christian or the secular market, I think it should bring honor to the Lord.

I'd also like to throw in a comment about the topics that the Bible addresses... I think it should be noted that, while the Bible describes sinful things, it doesn't condone them. And it doesn't present them with the intention of tickling our dirty imaginations.

Following that pattern, I might be willing to reference that an adulterous relationship took place, or that someone murdered someone else. I will not, however, zoom in on the details of the action and try to give the reader delight over these acts. I think that would be wrong, and not in keeping with the pattern set by the Bible.

Any thoughts? Agreements? Disagreements? I think it's an interesting point, and worth discussing! :)

Katrina S. Forest

Registered
Reaction score
Website
katrinasforest.com
I have certain words I just won't write, because I know I'd hesitate to read them aloud. Others I'll write only when the situation really, really calls for it.

That's the case with my current WIP. In my opening pages, my protagonist overhears an adult saying something, doesn't know what it means, and repeats it to her parents. They ask her not to repeat it again. But I know that the first page often "sets the stage" in people's minds for the rest of the book so I'm nervous about the idea that some readers (okay, protective parents) might think I curse like a sailor for the whole book when the word never comes up again. ^_^;;

heyjude

Making my own sunshine
Registered
Reaction score
I appreciate the thought about Jesus reading what I write. Thanks, Plain and Simple! I agree; whether my writing is intended for the Christian or the secular market, I think it should bring honor to the Lord.

I'd also like to throw in a comment about the topics that the Bible addresses... I think it should be noted that, while the Bible describes sinful things, it doesn't condone them. And it doesn't present them with the intention of tickling our dirty imaginations.

Following that pattern, I might be willing to reference that an adulterous relationship took place, or that someone murdered someone else. I will not, however, zoom in on the details of the action and try to give the reader delight over these acts. I think that would be wrong, and not in keeping with the pattern set by the Bible.

Any thoughts? Agreements? Disagreements? I think it's an interesting point, and worth discussing! :)

Hmm... this is good stuff. You're probably right. Personally, I tend to dwell on the dark and seamy side of things in my books. Exploring the dark side makes the light seem all the brighter, all the more attractive.

I am trying to lighten it up a bit though...

Status
Not open for further replies.