• This forum is specifically for the discussion of factual science and technology. When the topic moves to speculation, then it needs to also move to the parent forum, Science Fiction and Fantasy (SF/F).

If the topic of a discussion becomes political, even remotely so, then it immediately does no longer belong here. Failure to comply with these simple and reasonable guidelines will result in one of the following.
    1. the thread will be moved to the appropriate forum
    2. the thread will be closed to further posts.
    3. the thread will remain, but the posts that deviate from the topic will be relocated or deleted.
    Thank you for understanding.​

Non-fiction book recommendation, please!

Escape Artist

Plotting her escape...
Registered
Reaction score
Walking the fine line between cute and creepy...
I'm wondering if anyone has a good book to recommend me on what we know of the origin of the human species and that breaks evolution down in simple terms. Science was something that I just kind of shut my brain off toward when I was in school and that's something I regret now that I'm older and wish to know about this stuff.

I'm wondering if there's perhaps an "Evolution for Dummies" book out there somewhere? The library I frequent seems to have quite a bit of juvenile books from Isaac Asimov but I'm not sure if they're still up to date or not or even if they really apply to what I'm looking for...

Thanks!

RichardGarfinkle

Nurture Phoenixes
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.richardgarfinkle.com
Do you mind answering a few specifics to help narrow down the kind of book.

Are you concerned with evolution overall or with human evolution from relatively recent prehuman ancestry?

Are you after the latest developments or do you want a good explanation that isn't precisely up to date.

How exact do you wish the science to be (that is do you care about the particular methods used by biologists and paleontologists) or are you okay with an explanation of discoveries and theories without heavy analysis?

Escape Artist

Plotting her escape...
Registered
Reaction score
Walking the fine line between cute and creepy...
Do you mind answering a few specifics to help narrow down the kind of book.

Are you concerned with evolution overall or with human evolution from relatively recent prehuman ancestry?

Are you after the latest developments or do you want a good explanation that isn't precisely up to date.

How exact do you wish the science to be (that is do you care about the particular methods used by biologists and paleontologists) or are you okay with an explanation of discoveries and theories without heavy analysis?

1. Overall, I suppose, though I'm particularly interested in how it applies to humans and how scientists believe that we came to be the people we are today. And again, in simple language. I may know more about this stuff than I'm giving myself credit for, but I doubt it.

2. I'm gonna say the latter - a good explanation that may not necessarily be the latest and greatest.

3. I'm not too concerned with the methods as the methods themselves will most likely be Greek to me.

Thanks!

I read "On the Origin" only recently (two years ago). It's still very powerful, in my opinion.

Thanks for the recommendation!

RichardGarfinkle

Nurture Phoenixes
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.richardgarfinkle.com
1. Overall, I suppose, though I'm particularly interested in how it applies to humans and how scientists believe that we came to be the people we are today. And again, in simple language. I may know more about this stuff than I'm giving myself credit for, but I doubt it.

2. I'm gonna say the latter - a good explanation that may not necessarily be the latest and greatest.

3. I'm not too concerned with the methods as the methods themselves will most likely be Greek to me.

Thanks!

Thanks for the recommendation!

This is going to sound a little weird,but I recommend Larry Gonick's Cartoon History of the Universe Volume I and his Cartoon Guide to Genetics.

They're humorous, easy to read and convey the basics in context. They also have decent bibliographies.

For more in depth I recommend Stephen Jay Gould, but his focus isn't explicitly on human evolution.

lorna_w

Hybrid Grump
Registered
Reaction score
I'd actually recommend the BBC series Walking with Cavemen.

I believe they published an associated book