Harry Potter, For those who love Harry Potter, pure bloods, 1/2 bloods, muggle borns and muggles all

Wind Ann Wise

The Quiet One
Registered
Reaction score
I love Harry Potter. It's awesome! I grew up with those books. My faves are (in order):

1. Prisoner of Azkaban
2. Deathly Hallows
3. Sorcerer's Stone
4. Chamber of Secrets
5. Goblet of Fire
6. Half-blood Prince
7. Order of the Phoenix

sadbeautifultragic

Registered
Reaction score
I seriously remember the first day I picked up a Harry Potter book (I read them all out of order lol.) It was summer and I was really young, and I went out back to tell my mom I was really bored. She told me "Go read Chris's big Harry Potter book in the closet!" I was REALLY bored so I got Goblet of Fire out of the closet and started reading it. I remember being hooked from the beginning, telling my mom all about it. Thus beginning the rest of my life. :hooray:

I agree though, with everyone else. I read the first couple out of order (I think it was like, 4 2 3) but then I just got them all from the library and read them in order before 5 came out, and I will say that was the more enjoyable way.

My favorites would have to go:

1. Order of the Phoenix
2. Deathly Hallows
3. Half-Blood Prince
4. Sorcerer's Stone
5. Goblet of Fire
6. Prisoner of Azkaban
7. Chamber of Secrets

I'm pretty sure Harry Potter is like, one of the best things that has ever happened to me.

-t.

readitnweep

Registered
Reaction score
I think Prisoner of Azkaban is one of the books I've enjoyed the most, and I've read a lot. My son had been given the first book right when it came out here in the States, but he was only 2, so I packed it away and forgot about it until, much later, when someone gave him the DVD to Prisoner of Azkaban. His dad and I watched it first to see what it was. Then I remembered we had the books (all three by then) and I read all three over the next two days.

I don't care for books 4-7 half as much as I do the first three, in particular the third, which is wonderfully plotted with beautifully crafted characters. I thought the Dursleys were too one-dimensional, but other than that I did like the first two.

The last four books tend to drag at times, especially the fifth one. But the concepts were great, and I loved Ron, Hermione and Hagrid.

EmilyBrooke

Queen of Gallifrey
Registered
Reaction score
Website
twitter.com
Harry Potter had one of the biggest impacts in my life. The world created by J.K. was one of the reasons I wanted to start getting into writing. I loved the idea that I could imagine something or someplace and turn it into words for other people to read. It's definitely why I'm so into fantasy and magic.

The first time I read it, I was nine or ten. My mom's friend came over and she knew I liked to read so she gave me Sorcerer's Stone. I read it in a day and demanded the others immediately. I've read them so many times they're falling apart. D: A few months ago my brother borrowed Goblet of Fire and it ripped in half. I burst into tears. But I was lucky enough to find a U.S. first edition for less than $10.

My favorites are:
1. Prisoner of Azkaban
2. Deathly Hallows
3. Half-Blood Prince
4. Sorcerer's Stone
5. Chamber of Secrets
6. Goblet of Fire
7. Order of the Phoenix

KAM_writer

Registered
Reaction score
I'm so glad a post like this exists here. <3

I have a lot to do on my writing to do list today, but had to pop in here right now to do a quick reply. :) I love this series so much. Last year when I went to London I got all the British versions of the series and want to read them all that way at some point because I'm that much of a Harry Potter geek. :p

My favorite Harry Potter books in order:
1) Deathly Hallows
2) Half-Blood Prince
3) Prisoner of Azkaban
4) Philosopher's Stone
5) Order of the Phoenix
6) Goblet of Fire
7) Chamber of Secrets

Vince524

Are you gonna finish that bacon?
Registered
Reaction score
Website
vincentmorrone.com
I used to write all the time when I was in High School. Wanted to be a writer, etc. But my parents kept saying there's no way, despite all my teachers telling me I was really good. My parents just didn't think anyone could make a future of that. So I went another way and stopped writing. Every once in awhile, I'd have ideas and think about writing again.

It was the Harry Potter books that really inspired me to refocus. I just so adored them.

No here I am at 41, (No old jokes!) and I'm about to get my first novel published!

Thank you JK Rowling.

And KISS.

KAM_writer

Registered
Reaction score
Hi,
Is there one Harry Potter book that you would recommend to an adult reader that doesn't want to read the whole series? One that can stand alone and captures the HP experience for an older reader?

That's tough. My boyfriend only read Order of the Phoenix while he was writing his thesis (on an unrelated topic to Harry Potter) and he liked it enough, but the thought of doing that confused me when he told me he'd only read that HP book and it still confuses me because I feel like each book builds on what happened in the previous book. While an adult reader might understand what's going on, when you see how all the plot lines intertwine with each other it makes it a better story as a whole.

I'd say go with the first book. It's quick and gives you a general idea about the world as whole although, yes, the series takes more "interesting/darker" turns that appeal to older readers in the later books.

KAM_writer

Registered
Reaction score
Huge Rowling fan here. The only thing I really consider something like blasphemy is when people badmouth Harry Potter. Just started Pottermore. :hooray: Haven't got to the sorting yet. I'm loving all the little bits she added.

YOU HAVE CAS AS YOUR AVATAR!!! YOU ARE AWESOME!!!!!!!!!! :partyguy:

SAppleyard

Making friends with the Deadly Sins
Registered
Reaction score
Harry Potter is FANTASTIC. I remember my mom reading me the first two books, which she would then finish once I went to bed, but come the third I was reading them on my own. Everything was just perfect - though the angsty parts through the fifth book got a little annoying, but he was a teen so it happens.

In order of my faves:

1. Deathly Hollows
2. Goblet of Fire
3. Chamber of Secrets
4. Half Blood Prince
5. Sorcerers Stone
6. Order of the Phoenix
7. Prisoner of Azkaban (Mainly because the movie just ruined it for me.)

I love them all so much, but that is the order I'd put them in if I truly had to.

I'd love to see her go back to that world with their kids to see what would happen. Also I just miss HP and his world haha

Smish

Reads more than she writes.
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I can tell you my very favorite - Prisoner of Azkaban - but I can't rank the rest. They're all brilliant. I've read each book a couple dozen times.

(Prisoner of Azkaban was definitely my least favorite of the movies, though. It didn't even come close to capturing the greatness of the book.)

Kzordcid

I rite good
Registered
Reaction score
I love Harry Potter-- I was an absolute fanatic in middle school. I was sorted into Hufflepuff on Pottermore, though I haven't been on lately-- I kept failing at the Polyjuice Potion and gave up.

As for my ranking of the books:
1. Prisoner of Azkaban
2. Goblet of Fire
3. Deathly Hallows
4. Half Blood Prince
5. Philosopher/Sorcerer's Stone
6. Order of the Phoenix
7. Chamber of Secrets

ThatKnight64

D.R. Grant
Registered
Reaction score
Harry Potter was really the spark for my fantasy addiction which eventually led to wanting to write my own. I think I first picked up a Harry Potter book because my third grade teacher had confiscated Sorcerer's Stone from another student. I bought goblet of fire from the scholastic reader and was hooked from then on. I honestly have to thank J.K. Rowling for making reading so much fun. It opened a whole world for me.
I was sorted into Ravenclaw on Pottermore but I haven't really been back in awhile.

1.) Order of the Phoenix
2.) Goblet of Fire
3.) Prisoner of Azkaban
4.) Half Blood Prince
5.) Deathly Hallows
6.) Sorcerer's Stone
7.) Chamber of Secrets

tpolen

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.teripolen.com
I'm a huge Harry Potter fan! A friend recommended I read the books when I was 34 years old - just figured they were for kids, but loved them. Since then I've become a regular reader of YA books - some of them are so much better than adult fiction. I couldn't put them in order of preference because I enjoyed them all so much, but I do know Chamber of Secrets is probably my least favorite. I'm on Pottermore, but haven't visited lately - can't wait to be sorted! Visited The Wizarding World of Harry Potter at Universal Studios about 2.5 years ago and excited to be going back this April.

fredXgeorge

I heart sexy elves and wizards.
Registered
Reaction score
^ The Wizarding World of HP is the greatest place in the world (except maybe for the studio tour, which I really want to visit). So excited they're expanding Orlando, and building at LA and Japan. Though I do wish we got something in Aus so we didn't always have to travel so far. Oh well.

Cyia

Rewriting My Destiny
Registered
Reaction score
WWoHP really is amazing. I took my cousin's kidlets last year for what turned out to be "dead week" in Orlando. (A one week lull between Thanksgiving and Christmas where the parks are nearly empty.) The lines were about five minutes each, which was awesome.

I got so upset though. I'd had vertigo all day, but it had started easing off -- only to come back with a vengeance right at the loading station for the ride inside the castle. :( Had to send the kidlets on alone, then endure their squeals of how awesome it was.

fredXgeorge

I heart sexy elves and wizards.
Registered
Reaction score
Oh no, talk about bad timing!

LeakyCon 2011 was held there and we had the theme park to ourselves from 10pm-1am. Brilliant, except I had got a throat infection on the plane so spent the night holding my bottle of Pumpkin Juice up to my neck, in so much pain. Plus it got even worse because I was screaming on the rides. My friends and I went back on our second-last day and I had spent the days in between working on getting better so I did get to appreciate it, but still wish I had properly been able to enjoy our private night.

BetteDavis

Registered
Reaction score
I don't understand people who don't like Potter.Im a ravenclaw and my favourite books in order are

1.Deathly Hallows
2.Half Blood Prince
3.Chamber of Secrets
4.Goblet of Fire
5.Prisoner of Azkaban
6.Philosophers Stone
7.Order of the Phoenix

KAM_writer

Registered
Reaction score
I'm so glad a post like this exists here. <3

I have a lot to do on my writing to do list today, but had to pop in here right now to do a quick reply. :) I love this series so much. Last year when I went to London I got all the British versions of the series and want to read them all that way at some point because I'm that much of a Harry Potter geek. :p

My favorite Harry Potter books in order:
1) Deathly Hallows
2) Half-Blood Prince
3) Prisoner of Azkaban
4) Philosopher's Stone
5) Order of the Phoenix
6) Goblet of Fire
7) Chamber of Secrets

Ha! I just finished a re-reading of the series yesterday. I have to say that this order changed (slightly).
1) Deathly Hallows (always)
2) Half-Blood Prince
3) Prisoner of Azkaban
4) Philosopher's Stone
5) Chambers of Secrets
6) Goblet of Fire
7) Order of the Phoenix

A_McGowan

Registered
Reaction score
Oooh! I absolutely adore Harry Potter! My favorite book has to be the last one, simply because of Snape alone. It took so long to completely get through the mystery of him and the books got better with every one :') The unanswered questions are what keep me near constantly immersed in HP fanfiction. Seriously, I sometimes find myself spending hours more on FF.net than on writing anything :p The second one would be bottom of the list. I can remember reading it for the first time and completely dragging in it. For those of us who grew up reading them, it jumped slightly too far for me from the first and had too much description for a ten year old wanting to know what happens next. Still... now I absolutely love it. Basilisks are kick-***!

Krelian

I set fires to feel joy...
Registered
Reaction score
Wow, a Harry Potter thread. I have a feeling I will be here quite often.

First of all, the books in order, and then the movies in order, because the movies are all great in their own rights...

7. Harry Potter & the Sorcerer's Stone
6. Harry Potter & the Chamber of Secrets
5. Harry Potter & the Order of the Phoenix
4. Harry Potter & the Goblet of Fire
3. Harry Potter & the Prisoner of Azkaban
2. Harry Potter & the Deathly Hallows
1. Harry Potter & the Half-Blood Prince

I chose Half-Blood Prince because I tend to be a bigger fan of character development, and the development of Voldemort here is outstanding, not to mention all the rest of the MC's. Now, the movies are a different story...

8. Harry Potter & the Half-Blood Prince
7. Harry Potter & the Order of the Phoenix
6. Harry Potter & the Sorcerer's Stone
5. Harry Potter & the Deathly Hallows Pt. 1
4. Harry Potter & the Goblet of Fire
3. Harry Potter & the Chamber of Secrets
2. Harry Potter & the Deathly Hallows Pt. 2
1. Harry Potter & the Prisoner of Azkaban

The movie for Half-Blood Prince just omitted way too much. I suppose if you haven't read the books (and I have the same opinion for The Hunger Games movie as well), it stands as a good piece of film-making, but, again, way too much was missing here, particularly from the end of the book. Meanwhile, Alfonso Cuaron did a magnificent job in Prisoner of Azkaban, all the way down to the filmography. The whole end sequence with the colors dulled down, symbolizing the darkness of the Dementors, and, I could go on and on. It was fantastic... I shall read through what you all have written, and throw some comments in for funsies! :)

UndergoingMitosis

Waiting for interphase to start
Registered
Reaction score
Recent Harry Potter Emergency:

My sister was borrowing all of my (very well loved) hardcovers. It was family vacation time, so me and the brother and the sister were all, miracle of miracles, in the same place at the same time.

Well, the brother had a few (or a great many) drinks, and was sitting next to the sister, who had my copy of Order of the Phoenix in her lap.

Then he knocked over his glass of red wine. All over my Hardcover. Which I got on release day. Which I have read a dozen times. RED WINE ALL OVER.

My sister's pants were also ruined. This is not important.

So I'm all sorts of distraught. While I'm pouring my own glass of red wine (for sorrows drowning, of course), my uncle has the bright idea of putting baking soda on the red wine, thinking that this will soak the wine out of the pages and minimize the damage.

I came out of the kitchen to see my beloved Harry Potter book foaming all over the place and turning green.

I am in serious mourning, guys. This is way sadder than finishing Deathly Hallows.

Lesson learned: Don't let your siblings read your books while drinking near other siblings. Also: red wine and baking soda react in a pretty awesome way, but they are not a good combination when sitting atop one's hardcovers.