"Financial thriller" genre

alexaherself

Wordsmith and shoechick
Registered
Reaction score
About a decade ago, Michael Ridpath was the UK's foremost financial thriller writer. On his website, he says "In the 1990s there was a hope that the financial thriller genre could grow to be as big as legal thrillers. This didn't happen." Feeling himself to be a big fish in a small pool with a leak, he decided to switch genres (and has now become equally successful in another genre).

Has the banking/financial crisis and the state of the world economy made this reasoning overall more, or less, applicable and relevant in 2012?

Is an agent's instinctive reaction to receiving an otherwise acceptable query letter regarding a completed first "financial thriller" likely to be "No thanks"?

Are "financial thrillers" a viable genre? In the sense that this genre could be a viable and sensible choice for a writer - with some trading experience/background - starting a new career as an author of fiction? Or would that be a probably inadvisable and potentially unfortunate choice?

I'd love to know the opinions of any agents, publishers or others with a view to express. :)

heyjude

Making my own sunshine
Registered
Reaction score
I am not an agent or publisher but I am "other," so I'll take a crack at this. :)

I wouldn't sub this as a financial thriller. I'd say straight thriller, if that's what it is, and focus more on your main character than the fact that it has to do with finance. Let that show through in your query letter, of course, but I wouldn't bill it as such.

Query a compelling, can't-put-down book with a strong character and good plot. That's what agents are looking for.

Elizabeth Holloway

Pass the sugar
Registered
Reaction score
I, like heyjude, am an 'other'. :hi:

I agree. Write the best darned novel you can. Make sure it has great writing, compelling characters and a page-turning plot. If you can do that, you are more likely to find an agent, financial thriller or not.

Old Hack

Such a nasty woman
Super Moderator
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Agents, editors and publishers tend to say no to books which are dull and to say yes to books which are exciting and absorbing, no matter what genre they're in. So much depends on the book.

iLion

Why do I say these things?
Registered
Reaction score
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QvsQ9hYKq7c
I'm late coming to this party, and I have nothing more than an inexperienced opinion! But... I can't let that stop me from expressing it, right?

I think the others above are correct in their opinions, but I also think that timing can make all the difference - although timing is difficult to bank on, because so many events can occur to pull the rug out. In other words, now (or last year really) could be a prime time for a "financial thriller" because of current global awareness and interest in things financial. The "occupy Wall St" crowd has added to that in a big way, too.

I agree that the focus needs to be on the writing and as Elizabeth suggests, an exciting, absorbing, and well written book can be about anything. The financial aspect is very secondary - in my opinion. A thriller is a thriller.

alexaherself

Wordsmith and shoechick
Registered
Reaction score
Thanks very much for the responses above.

Since asking this question 3 months ago, I've corresponded on this subject both with the writer I mentioned (who was for many years the UK's leading and most successful author of financial thrillers, and was particularly kind and helpful to me) and with his agent, among others, and have satisfied myself that this isn't currently a genre to which an agent's/publisher's instinctive reaction is likely to be "Thanks but no thanks", just because of the genre. ;)

Melville

Reader first, writer second
Registered
Reaction score
First of all, at the writing level or agent level, no matter what anybody says, there is no such thing as a "financial thriller".

There are thrillers set in the world or finance or whatever (banking? stock market?).

"Legal thriller" and "Medical thrillers" are marketing terms at the publishing level which, because of their popularity, became sub-genres.

The problem with sub-genres is if they're not enough examples of them, they sound silly unless written on a book jacket.

Fashion thriller
Bio-medical research thriller
Culinary thriller

The thing you want to do with a thriller, is to write it with the broadest commercial appeal as possible and then let your agent narrow it down a bit when it's subbed, and let the marketing group come up with a catchy phrase when its published. If they want to call it a financial thriller, cool.

If you write a compelling book, with great prose, characters, a dynamite plot and and interesting backdrop, whether it's in the world of finance or horseracing or knitting or deep-sea diving, it will attract an agent, a publisher and a marketing group who have a pocketful of catch phrases.