Michigan Anti-Abortion Bill, 'Most Extreme' In The Country

Xelebes

Delerium ex Ennui
Registered
Reaction score
I wouldn't shame her either, or lock her up. Shame is stupid and unhelpful in any case. Legal punishment would be a waste and a tragedy.

I would grieve the loss of the life, and I'm sure she would too. Often when something is painful, once the pain is relieved one has second thoughts. Pain makes people crazy, makes them feel that they have no choice but to relieve pain. If someone was there to be supportive and to see that woman through the temporary pain, the end result would be a sense of accomplishment, of strength, and, of course, a life saved.

I guess the question then becomes are we going to allow ourselves to experience the loss, individually and communally, or are we going to fight off the loss until we have lost more [the woman (and the foetus)] than what we could have lost (only the foetus)? Talking pure emotion here.

Alessandra Kelley

Sophipygian
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.alessandrakelley.com
Absolutely. I would never try to tell someone they aren't allowed to believe abortion, or even birth control, is wrong. I used to be a very active pro choice activist, and you would be surprised at how many people who protested with me said that they would never have an abortion themselves. It was the harmfulness of banning it outright that they objected to.

And yet such people are often vilified as hypocrites and elitists, as if only women who declare willingness to abort are allowed to support the notion of personal autonomy over one's own health.

Alessandra Kelley

Sophipygian
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.alessandrakelley.com
Again, I don't see a problem with getting pregnant at whatever age you get pregnant. I do think there's a problem if you go into it saying, Gee, this might be just what I want, but if it's not, I'll abort.

That's a cold way of putting it.

I was under the impression it was more often women going into it saying, God, I really want this baby and I really, really, really hope nothing goes wrong.

muravyets

Old revolutionary
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
I've heard "life begins at conception" which is scientifically accurate. But no, I'm not tuned in to what the pro-lifers are doing. That may be a shock to you, since you seem to lump me in with them. At any rate, neither the OP nor my previous arguments have claimed that a zygote is a person.

And again, I have not claimed that the pro-choice position favors killing people. EVER.

I know the difference, and I never claimed you didn't. Your venom spewing is duly noted.
As has been noted before in heated exchanges between us, you have your opinion about my venom, and I have my opinion about yours. I stand by my assessments of your arguments. I understand that you don't wish to be lumped in with anti-choice people, but in spite of that you spend a lot of time in these discussions presenting and defending the anti-choice argument, albeit sandwiched between disclaimers. I'm sorry but I will always choose to address the argument over the disclaimers of anyone I debate issues with.

I stand by my assessment that your argument has indeed made use of the common anti-choice habit of conflating "baby," "fetus" and "zygote" all together and coloring them all with falsely emotive language and shock stories.

I further stand by my assessment that repeatedly questioning when the baby gets a right to live, plus describing women as not respecting the reproductive process and cavalierly getting their uteruses scraped for convenience, plus specifically stating that in your opinion a fetus is a human being and no different from a born child, all comes together as implying that the pro-choice position is a position that chooses to kill human beings. So I stand by that assessment, too.

Wading though your prolific spew, I see that you are still not getting the point. You cannot use the legality of a thing to prove it is right. If you think a law is correct, you cannot prove its correctness by claiming "it's the law."
I didn't. I may not be getting your point, but that may just be because it bears no relation to anything I was saying.

Since we seem to be recommending education today, I recommend you take a debate class and an etiquette class.
Hiss, rattle.

So you would not be opposed to a law against post-20-week abortions that were not medically necessary?
You mean would I not be opposed to the status quo that already exists in the United States, thus making all these supposedly baby-saving laws utterly unnecessary? Why yes, obviously I would fine with that, since I have said so many, many times in this thread and every other thread that has covered abortion in this forum, in many of which you and I have also had this argument.

In actual fact, I don't think there should be any legal restrictions on abortion at all, except for safety. The example of Canada proves that there is no need for such restrictions. They have none, and yet Canadian women do not get non-medically-necessary late term abortions. They refrain from doing that even without laws prohibiting it. That's probably because women don't just up and opt for late abortions without need.

But if I can't have that because Americans are too busy poking their noses into each other's business to stop and think this through, then I will go with whatever restriction matches the state of ob-gyn medicine.

And--this is 4 times now--I have never stated that women are callous baby killers.
I stand by my assessments, as explained above. The problem with the argument you are defending very passionately is that it is not your argument. It is the standard anti-choice argument generated by such groups as Operation Rescue and the Focus on the Family. You may wish to disavow the woman-blaming, insulting, and pejorative elements of it, but you would have to edit it to do that.

So you would not be opposed to restricting abortions when a fetus is viable? The record for the youngest surviving preemie is 21 weeks, 6 days.
Already answered above, and I'm not going to keep clicking on these amazing tales links, especially not after it was so obvious that one of the sources you offered contained false claims.

What, exactly, do you think is inside a woman's uterus at 20+ weeks? What do you think happens to it during an abortion? It has to come through the birth canal, does it not? It doesn't magically disappear. It has to be disposed of. Do you think a 23-week old fetus looks different from a 23-week old born baby?
And here we are, back where we started. I assert that the above paragraph is a repetition of everything you said in earlier posts, and which you just finished denying you ever said, above in this post.

Thank you for proving my points. I stand by my statements.

RichardGarfinkle

Nurture Phoenixes
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.richardgarfinkle.com
I'll give a little personal expeirence my family has had with preeclampsia.
My youngest daughters mother had this during pregnancy.

When the crazy woman (daughters mother) was 22 weeks along, she ask me to take a day off work to accompany her to the prego doctor.
While their, after some test, the crazy woman was admitted immediately to the hospital. No going home first, just straight to the hospital. She was diagnosed with preclampsia.

Our baby was born at 26 weeks and 2 days.(Forced delivery) Mom stayed in the hospital another 2 1/2 weeks after giving birth. Baby girl spent her first 5 weeks in nicu. This was 10 years ago.

Today, mom spends 3 days a week, at 4 hours per visit on dialysis, currently waiting for a kidney transplant.

All this started with the preeclampsia.

Again, I don't see a problem with getting pregnant at whatever age you get pregnant. I do think there's a problem if you go into it saying, Gee, this might be just what I want, but if it's not, I'll abort.

Yes, I do believe that temporary pain--even if excruciating, even if it disrupts your "normal life"--is not a legitimate reason to end the life of the fetus. I empathize completely, I too deal with chronic pain, but if the death of the one who is dependent on you for its life is the solution, I disagree that it is fair or just.

And the fact that that woman did not abort just goes to show how much a person can take when she knows she is doing the right thing. No, actually, it's where the mother's love comes shining through, and it makes me want to cry because it is so special and so real and so unique and so utterly incomparable to anything else in the entire world.

How many women, having gone through 4 months of pain to deliver their baby, would say, a year--a month--a week--or even a day later, "God, I wish I would have just ended the pain."

Chrissy,
You seem to be cherry picking which preeclampsia symptoms you are willing to address. I gave a long list,Sulong gave a specifc example. Long term damage and suffering but not life threatening. Do you think that abortion should be legal under such circumstances?

Jersey Chick

Up all night to get Loki
Registered
Reaction score
in the state of carefully controlled chaos
Website
www.kimberlynee.com
I am one of those pro-choice women who would probably never have an abortion. Before I had my children, I wouldn't say that but since? I could never do it. At least, I don't think so. I've never been in the position where I've had to make that decision.

That said, I would defend to no end another woman's right to choose. And I would oppose any sort of legislation written to restrict that right. Period.

Chrissy

Bright and Early for the Daily Race
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I guess the question then becomes are we going to allow ourselves to experience the loss, individually and communally, or are we going to fight off the loss until we have lost more [the woman (and the foetus)] than what we could have lost (only the foetus)? Talking pure emotion here.

I'm cool with emotion, but I don't understand what you mean about losing the woman.

That's a cold way of putting it.

I was under the impression it was more often women going into it saying, God, I really want this baby and I really, really, really hope nothing goes wrong.

I'm sure that's true, and it's perfectly reasonable to hope that nothing goes wrong.

The question is, what constitutes "going wrong" as an acceptable reason to end a life.

muravyets

Old revolutionary
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
For me it's more of a question of who has more rights, not whether or not it has rights.

Does the not yet viable life have more rights than an already living breathing free thinking person? I'd like to think no.

Once the life is viable, then its rights go up exponentially, but still does not trump that of an already living breathing human being, such as danger to health and life of mother for late term or post viable unborn life.

It's a logical fallacy to go down the is it alive yet? Better to stick with rights. When two beings share the same space, sometimes one of their rights get trampled. I move in favor of the already independantly living and breathing life.

For the record I'm anti-abortion, but pro-choice. I feel abortion is a necessary evil but that doesn't mean I think it's a good thing.
I have to agree completely with this position. I don't think any person should have more rights than another person. When it comes to fetal development, I say that a fetus is not a living being until its brain function kicks in, and before that time, it is not a person anymore than a dead body is a person. But regardless of that, even if we stipulate that personhood begins at conception, why should that personhood have greater value than the personhood of a born woman, so much so that the power of the law will be used to make the woman subject to the interests of the zygote or fetus, at the expense of the woman's health, livelihood, even life in some cases?

Celia Cyanide

Joker Groupie
Registered
Reaction score
And yet such people are often vilified as hypocrites and elitists, as if only women who declare willingness to abort are allowed to support the notion of personal autonomy over one's own health.

Exactly. I once read a letter in the paper from a Catholic woman who was saying, "I do think life begins at conception. The reason I am pro choice is that I don't think putting women and doctors in jail is the right way to deal with the problem at all."

That's not so hard to understand, is it?

Chrissy

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Exactly. I once read a letter in the paper from a Catholic woman who was saying, "I do think life begins at conception. The reason I am pro choice is that I don't think putting women and doctors in jail is the right way to deal with the problem at all."

That's not so hard to understand, is it?

Well, if not putting women in jail is what being pro-choice means, then I am pro-choice.

Because that is a potential outcome, especially with unmedicated seizures.

Losing the woman to death, then?

muravyets

Old revolutionary
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com

Yes. I would like to know, if the bill were structured so that post-20 week abortions were limited to medical necessity--medical necessity being clear risk to the mother's life (actual life v. death) and/or severe complications of the fetus that would mean brain death, missing organs, etc. resulting in death or vegetative state--would that be an acceptable bill?
No, because as rugcat pointed out, such a bill would make no allowance for a woman's health. It is also an unscientific restriction on the judgment of doctors and an intrusion into doctor/patient consultations.

muravyets

Old revolutionary
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
In terms of health risks after 20 weeks, here's one that starts then. Preeclampsia.
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmedhealth/PMH0001900/

Just reading about this scared the heck out of me, but I'm only a man, unfit for such dangerous risks.

The reality is that the human body is constantly at risk. Our evolved systems give us a fighting chance and medicine adds to that chance. But there is no way to make something as immensely complex as pregnancy safe.

Even such a sexist pig as Rudyard Kipling understood that much:
"She who faces death by torture for each life beneath her breast."

We can even set aside the argument about when life begins, and reframe the matter like this:

Life or death decisions should be made by the people at risk of life or death. Everyone else should butt out.

In a pregnancy only the woman is both at risk and capable of deciding. Therefore, everyone else should let her decide.
This. A thousand times, this.

icerose

Lost in School Work
Registered
Reaction score
Well, if not putting women in jail is what being pro-choice means, then I am pro-choice.

Losing the woman to death, then?

yeah it's not like we're all "Kill the unborn babies and we'll all have fetus milkshakes on the roof."

It's simply about having safe choices and options for all women. That's it. I am totally against abortion except in life and health situations and rape/incest, but I don't think my aversion to abortion should be legistlated. I think that women should be free to make these very important decisions with a good and well informed doctor who's willing to guide her through the process whichever way she decides is best for her.

Chrissy

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Chrissy,
You seem to be cherry picking which preeclampsia symptoms you are willing to address. I gave a long list,Sulong gave a specifc example. Long term damage and suffering but not life threatening. Do you think that abortion should be legal under such circumstances?

That is a very difficult question. I don't have an answer. Permanent disability is almost akin to death, IMO. So, ya got me.

yeah it's not like we're all "Kill the unborn babies and we'll all have fetus milkshakes on the roof."

It's simply about having safe choices and options for all women. That's it. I am totally against abortion except in life and health situations and rape/incest, but I don't think my aversion to abortion should be legistlated. I think that women should be free to make these very important decisions with a good and well informed doctor who's willing to guide her through the process whichever way she decides is best for her.

I disagree that it's about safe choices, because the idea that "a person would do X anyway and hurt themselves" is not a sufficent argument for the legality of any thing.

However, since there are legitimate reasons for actually aborting, I'm thoroughly uncomfortable with and against a blanket "no, never." And all of the state laws, so far, are nothing short of ludicrous (like the vaginal probes, for example.... who ARE these people?)

Ditto.

And this is where Chrissy loses me. I understand and respect that some people believe "life begins at conception," and that they are morally opposed to abortion on its face, but it doesn't mean everyone agrees and should have to live their lives according to that other person's moral compass.

For some reason, as I was reviewing the thread, this stood out to me.

My thought was this: stealing is against the law, but there are conceivably many "good reasons" for stealing.

A man might steal to feed his family. A man might steal because he is utterly compelled to feed his addiction (which addiction, I know from experience, can feel like life or death, and can even actually be a matter of life or death, depending on the substance).

That doesn't mean, even though one can completely empathize with why a particular theft occurred, that the theft still did not still harm another person, and was wrong.

My point is that stealing is legally wrong and also morally wrong (what I have is not yours to take) but it could actually be morally wrong in various degrees. If I steal from a poor man, I have hurt that man more than if I stole from a rich man. This is a moral judgement, but the law treats all stealing equally.

Is the law wrong? Should a man with a starving family be allowed to steal? It is for his life. It is for his survival.

Anyway, just random thoughts about morality and the law. The answer to what we do about what we believe is morally right is not necessarily to enact a law, but maybe, rather to extend a hand to a person in need.

The End. I'm tired and hungry. Cheers, and I love you all.

Even you, mura.

icerose

Lost in School Work
Registered
Reaction score
The safe choices wasn't just for the woman to abort safely when she just doesn't feel like being pregnant. It also includes people who are suffering mentally and/or physically and abort for their own well being.

Even so if a woman is so flippant about being pregnant that she'd abort to save her body, do you really want to force that woman to become a mother? I think we have enough heart rending cases of child neglect and abuse.

Celia Cyanide

Joker Groupie
Registered
Reaction score
I disagree that it's about safe choices, because the idea that "a person would do X anyway and hurt themselves" is not a sufficent argument for the legality of any thing.

But that's not the only reason why we need safe choices. Many people who are morally opposed to abortion believe it's okay in the case of rape. But the thing is, it's not really possible to legislate for abortion to be illegal, except in the case of rape. Rape is one of the most underreported crimes. Some rape victims can't bring themselves to say out loud, "I have been raped." How will those women have access to abortion if it is illegal? Even if a woman does report a rape, the police might not catch the rapist, and even if they do he may never be convicted. It doesn't change the fact that she has been impregnated against her will.

icerose

Lost in School Work
Registered
Reaction score
I didn't even think of that, Celia. That would also include incest. How many women are going to say "Yeah, it's my brother's/father's/uncle's."

Chrissy

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
The safe choices wasn't just for the woman to abort safely when she just doesn't feel like being pregnant. It also includes people who are suffering mentally and/or physically and abort for their own well being.

Even so if a woman is so flippant about being pregnant that she'd abort to save her body, do you really want to force that woman to become a mother? I think we have enough heart rending cases of child neglect and abuse.

Yes, we do, but poor parenting is not definitively linked to unwanted pregnancy. Child rearing is hard, for sure, and being ill-equipped to deal with children isn't necessarily the result of not wanting children. Nor is not wanting children linked to bad parenting. It's simply the result of being ill-equipped. Women have children for all sorts of the wrong reasons--to please the family, to hang on to a man, for financial benefits.

All three of my children were, for all intents and purposes, unwanted. I did not plan to be pregnant. My first pregnancy was at age 17, which was a miscarriage. My second pregancy was at age 18, which I did not want. My third pregnancy was by the love-of-my-life drug dealer, when I completely and thoroughly addicted to heroin. Obviously a cramp in my lifestyle. My fourth pregnancy was in my second marriage, due to a night of heated passion in which I said, Screw the condom! Just fuck me now! :D None of my pregnancies were planned, and I had no desire to be pregnant or have a child (or another child). The proof was in the birth, the bonding, the love, and the ensuing responsibility. Such things are not guaranteed or discredited by a desire or lack thereof, to have a child.

But that's not the only reason why we need safe choices. Many people who are morally opposed to abortion believe it's okay in the case of rape. But the thing is, it's not really possible to legislate for abortion to be illegal, except in the case of rape. Rape is one of the most underreported crimes. Some rape victims can't bring themselves to say out loud, "I have been raped." How will those women have access to abortion if it is illegal? Even if a woman does report a rape, the police might not catch the rapist, and even if they do he may never be convicted. It doesn't change the fact that she has been impregnated against her will.

Agreed, but this is an argument to educate against the shame of rape, not to allow all abortions "in case it is rape."

Celia Cyanide

Joker Groupie
Registered
Reaction score
Agreed, but this is an argument to educate against the shame of rape, not to allow all abortions "in case it is rape."

That's not something that can be easily done. I have had three friends who were raped, and they all said that if they were raped, they would report it, until it happened to them. None of them reported it, and they couldn't really articulate why. The problem of women not reporting rape is not one that can be easily solved.

Also, let's say that rape was reported every time, and it wasn't an issue. How do we ban abortion, and still allow it in the case of rape? Just because a woman is raped does not mean that a suspect will be caught, tried, and convicted. She might not have seen his face. They might never catch the guy. It still happened. Even if they do catch the guy, he is tried, and convicted, how long does it take? Too long, at least for an abortion in the first trimester.

Chrissy

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
That's not something that can be easily done. I have had three friends who were raped, and they all said that if they were raped, they would report it, until it happened to them. None of them reported it, and they couldn't really articulate why. The problem of women not reporting rape is not one that can be easily solved.

Also, let's say that rape was reported every time, and it wasn't an issue. How do we ban abortion, and still allow it in the case of rape? Just because a woman is raped does not mean that a suspect will be caught, tried, and convicted. She might not have seen his face. They might never catch the guy. It still happened. Even if they do catch the guy, he is tried, and convicted, how long does it take? Too long, at least for an abortion in the first trimester.

Agreed again. God forbid a woman is raped, cannot prove it, and thus is not permitted an abortion. The burden of proof should not be on her.