Emanuel Church has a donate button on their website, if you'd like to help.

See also the Mother Emanuel Hope Fund

Welcome to the AbsoluteWrite Water Cooler! Please read The Newbie Guide To Absolute Write

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: RIP Ray Bradbury

There's already a thread about it here.

New Fish; Learning About Thick Skin Noirblanche's Avatar
    A great loss.
    Not news one wants with the morning coffee (nor, obviously, with lunch or dinner or tea or any other hour of the day).

This weekend I'll read the Martian Chronicles. It's in my pile of ToBeRead, but it just got promoted to the top.
    Writing is the hardest way of earning a living, with the possible exception of wrestling alligators.
    -William Saroyan-

figuring it all out
    He was indisputably one of the greats, but what was so amazing about him, was the way he could find inspiration in ordinary, mundane things and situations. Truly an example to follow and we are all richer through having enjoyed his work. I found this on twitter... a link to his last published article. http://www.newyorker.com/reporting/2..._fact_bradbury
    'Life is a game of hide and seek, dripping in karma' - Midnight

Banned
    lol, there were several threads on his death. They all had to be merged.

I'm sorry to say that when I heard the news I looked at my bookshelves and realized I hadn't kept a single Bradbury to reread. I too read Martian Chronicles as a boy and, along with Stranger in a Strange Land, got hooked on many of these classics. Led to all my Edgar Rice Burroughs, CS Lewis, Robert Heinlein, Isaac Asimov and Arthur C. Clark addictions.

By the way, I ordered the Ray Bradbury Theater complete collection on Amazon. Was only $10.49 for all the episodes. Unfortunately, low quality in the transfer (or I remember it better than it actually was).

Now I'll have to order some of them on Kindle. Wasn't there a movie of The Martian Chronicles? Rock Hudson? I don't remember it as being stellar though...

Jeff

Soldier, Scholar, Writer, WebVoyeur
    Quote Originally Posted by Archerbird View Post
    There's already a thread about it here.
    Quote Originally Posted by defcon6000 View Post
    lol, there were several threads on his death. They all had to be merged.
    I'm ashamed to say I didn't notice... sorry for reposting old news.
    This is my website, Korsgaard's Commentary.
    Please, read my works, tell me what you think, and be sure to share it and come back again!

There's no need to apologise, thekingsguard. We often have multiple threads when a well-known person passes, and Bookclub is a fine place to start one for Ray Bradbury.

When the threads have quietened, they are usually merged and moved to Remembrances. It's no problem.

Living my dreams.
    Made me cry when I found out. Amazing writer, amazing man.

sucking out all the marrow of life sarrahhakim's Avatar
    I remember the first short story I read by Ray Bradbury - "All Summer in a Day." It was beautiful.

R.I.P. Ray Bradbury, and thank you for the wonderful gifts of writing you gave us. You have been a true inspiration, and you will continue to live on through your writing.
    "You can never get a cup of tea large enough or a book long enough to suit me." ~C.S. Lewis
    www.sarrahhakim.com

Here, have a kitten. EmersonWierda's Avatar
    R.I.P Ray Bradbury. Your works will always inspire us.

New Fish; Learning About Thick Skin
    I have Read 451 more times than any other book it is absolutely one of my favorite books and all his other writings where amazing I read alot of his books and short stories when I first decided i would love to be a writer

figuring it all out
    Strangely I had not heard. A very unfortunate event. Thankfully, he will always be with us through his books and stories.
    My mind not only wanders; it sometimes leaves completely.

Chief High Procrastinator Broadswordbabe's Avatar
    Oh, man, I've only just heard this. So sad. I love his work. He was definitely one of the people who made me want to write; a man who took such joy in language.
    Babylon Steel 'Ingenious, gripping and full of pleasures on every level.'

Dangerous Gifts - A Babylon Steel novel

The Mammoth Book of Ghost Stories by Women

Quote Originally Posted by Broadswordbabe View Post
    Oh, man, I've only just heard this. So sad. I love his work. He was definitely one of the people who made me want to write; a man who took such joy in language.
    Same, first I hear of it. It's like the past being magically erased.

I wish humans had longer shelf life.

The ever absent-minded CChampeau's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Kitty Pryde View Post
    So, so sad. He lived a very long and awesome life, but still. The world is a little less shiny without him. I got to shake hands with him and get my book signed when I saw him speak about five years ago. What a hell of a human being.
    Oh, wow. That's one thing that makes me especially sad; that I'll never get to speak to great writers after they pass on, or at least see them speak.

RIP, Ray, and thank you for all you've given to the world.
    C. Champeau

"The truth will set you free."

supercalifragilisticexpia lidocious Ashwood's Avatar
    I truly miss Ray. One of the best of his kind, he's certainly inspired me. The Illustrated Man is one of my absolute all time favorites.

banned as an incurable tosspot
    Regarding losing the masters...
    Seems like so many of yesterday's writers were more versatile. Not to say that we don't have younger writers who produce novels, non-fiction, screenplays and short stories, but I'd guess there are fewer these days.

I'm glad Anne mentioned Something Wicked. Possibly the best opening chapter ever written.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12