YA books being made into films

Sage

Supreme Guessinator
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
I saw the cover the other day and went, "Wait, what's this book about?" The trailer looks really good.

Although it's a cancer book...

Smiley0501

Lurker, now activated. :-)
Registered
Reaction score
SO excited for ME AND EARL AND THE DYING GIRL. I read the book in February - Sage, it is like 10% cancer, and 90% about a kid and his best friend who make parodies of their favorite films. :) Some of the book is told in screenplay. Each chapter header is like "Let's Get the Embarrassing Stuff out of the way…"
It's unfortunate the book came out the same year as TFIOS :-/

The author produced/wrote/directed the movie and it won(?) Sundance. They are showing the film at the movie theater 5 minutes from my house on my birthday so you can guess what I will be doing ;)

Becca C.

Registered
Reaction score
SO excited for ME AND EARL AND THE DYING GIRL. I read the book in February - Sage, it is like 10% cancer, and 90% about a kid and his best friend who make parodies of their favorite films. :) Some of the book is told in screenplay. Each chapter header is like "Let's Get the Embarrassing Stuff out of the way…"
It's unfortunate the book came out the same year as TFIOS :-/

The author produced/wrote/directed the movie and it won(?) Sundance. They are showing the film at the movie theater 5 minutes from my house on my birthday so you can guess what I will be doing ;)

Wow, talented author! Like Steven Chbosky.

dancing-drama

Priestly Up!
Registered
Reaction score
The updates on the Shadowhunters tv show keep on coming... but I think I might be jumping off the train now. They cast Dom Sherwood as Jace.

Personally, I think he looks more like he's part of the Fallen cast (which is a whole different circus) or an Abercrombie commercial.
Moreover, his performance on the Vampire Academy movie (as Christian Ozera) was pretty underwhelming.

I'm afraid the Mortal Instruments just won't get a kick-ass adaption.

tumblr_mxcp1caENg1sejk9do5_250.jpg

dancing-drama

Priestly Up!
Registered
Reaction score
New developments regarding The Selection. It has gotten a movie deal. Read more here.

Warner Bros has won film rights to Kiera Cass’ global bestseller The Selection, the first of a five-novel series, and has set Black List scribe Katie Lovejoy to adapt it. DiNovi Pictures’ Denise DiNovi and Alison Greenspan are producing with Pouya Shahbazian.

I really, really want this movie to be a huge hit. I know the book has many flaws but look at the team attached to this movie. It's mostly women. Hollywood doesn't have nearly enough woman-producers and -writers and -directors.

Smiley0501

Registered
Reaction score
I'm seeing an early preview of ME AND EARL AND THE DYING GIRL tonight. I'll definitely come back and report how it is :D

lucyfilmmaker

patron saint of wine coolers and awkwardness
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.lucyfilmmaker.com
I had honestly forgotten they were making a Fallen movie, I guess it's finished? I read somewhere Lauren Kate had already watched it, shows how much I pay attention I guess!

I keep thinking "OH I HOPE THEY DO AN ADAPTATION OF THIS" and then I get it and am always disappointed. My imagination is just superior in every way ;)

Smiley0501

Registered
Reaction score
So I saw ME AND EARL AND THE DYING GIRL, and it was hysterical. And touching. So emotional. They did a fantastic job. I think I laughed the loudest in the theater because I loved the book/ the author wrote the screenplay. After the showing, there was a Q&A with the author and they asked some solid good questions :)

The movie is officially out June 12th. I'd definitely recommend it.

dancing-drama

Priestly Up!
Registered
Reaction score
Sooo... The rights to Tahereh Mafi's Shatter Me series have been bought by ABC studios. It looks like it's headed to the small screen.
And the Miss Peregrine's Home For Peculiar Children movie seems to be in production.
Source

Kayley

Someday.
Registered
Reaction score
I hadn't realized this thread hadn't been posted in for a good while - I hope it's okay for me to add to it!

I've been getting a lot of screening notices for the movie Nerve, which is based on the young adult novel by Jeanne Ryan. I feel like this one has pretty much flown under the rader in the YA community, because the only information I've seen posted about it was for the screenings. It's got some popular actors too, like Emma Roberts and Dave Franco, so perhaps it will make a bigger impact closer to its release date. None of the screenings have been close enough for me to go to, but I'll probably give the movie a chance if I get a screening nearby; I haven't read the book, but the premise sounds interesting.

I've also been invited to screenings for Fallen based on the book Lauren Kate (I believe this one has already been discussed here), but I have no desire to see it. However, I wanted to confirm that the movie is in post-production and is being screened to viewers. In the world of YA, where movies are often promised but not delivered, it's always nice to know when films are past the point of no return (for better or worse.)

Last edited:

Becca C.

Registered
Reaction score
Wait, FALLEN by Lauren Kate is an actual movie?

I might just have to see that... y'know, for the lulz.

KTC

Stand in the Place Where You Live
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
ktcraig.com
I had a film company here in Toronto interested in optioning Burn Baby Burn Baby for film. Sadly, it hasn't happened yet. My fingers are crossed...but I think they've moved on. (-:

Ellaroni

Registered
Reaction score
KEVIN!! That's exciting even if nothing comes of it. Someone imagined it as a movie! That in itself is an accomplishment, yes?!

dancing-drama

Priestly Up!
Registered
Reaction score
Oh, I just noticed that nobody had mentioned Naomi and Ely's No Kiss List in this thread yet. I saw it the other day - and it's everything I want out of a teen flick. The actors are gorgeous, the story is a bit corny at times and it's a fun ride from start to finish. Oh, and David Levithan and Rachel Cohn have a cameo towards the end of the movie. ;)
(I'll be over here, swooning over Ely as Sid Vicious.)

Sage

Supreme Guessinator
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
ME AND EARL AND THE DYING GIRL seems to be the movie of choice for people to watch on their tablets while on planes. I can't tell you how many times I look over and see it playing.

m.f.alira

Registered
Reaction score
I think Victoria Aveyards book 'Red Queen' has been picked up for film production.
If I could choose a book to be turned into a film and if it were done right I would love for the darkest trilogy by Kelley Armstrong to be picked up.

dancing-drama

Priestly Up!
Registered
Reaction score
I wasn't too impressed with the first two episodes of Shadowhunters. They've turned the Institute into the CIA - and what the heck is Valentine doing in Chernobyl? Eeeeeh. Not for me.

I'm going to see The 5th Wave on Wednesday. Has anyone already seen it?

dancing-drama

Priestly Up!
Registered
Reaction score
I just wanted to pop back in and tell you all how much I looooved the 5th Wave movie! It's been a week since I've seen it - and I really want to watch it again. I can understand some of the critique about how the plot was too rushed and the character development suffered - that was my impression, too. But it wasn't anything I couldn't get over with (since I already knew/loved the characters from the book) - so yeah. Minor fangirl moment over here.