YA books being made into films

Netz

Freshly caught writing bug lives!
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
The view from my stained glass window suggests by
So we've had Harry Potter, Twilight and Hunger Games. What's going to be next? (And do you write your YA novel yearning that it'll one day be made into a film?)

Would you prefer the blockbuster films or more indie ones?

I was checking out IMDB the other day and saw Saoirse Ronan (young Briony from 'Atonement') is in pre-production for 'How I live now'. I've recently read the book, so I'll be interested in seeing it when it comes out. Saoirse is also in post-production for 'The Host' (does this girl have it written into her contracts that she'll only do adaptations? Lol. She was also in 'The Lovely Bones' and 'City of Ember').

Dakota Fanning is in 'Now is good' (the book was called 'Before I die').

Emma Watson is in 'The perks of being a wallflower'.

Are there any other YA books being made into films?

Becca C.

Registered
Reaction score
One of my favourites, Fat Kid Rules the World by K. L. Going, is coming to theatres later this year. Ned Vizzini's It's Kind of a Funny Story was a movie a couple years ago, and a lot of people forget that one of the most influential YA books ever, Speak by Laurie Halse Anderson, was made into a movie with Kristen Stewart almost ten years ago.

fireluxlou

Registered
Reaction score
Harry Potter was never really considered YA when it was made, it was MG, the last 3 books were verging in YA territory.

I want to write a good book because books are my voice and my medium. I'm a writer of novels not a scriptwriter! So hopefully one day I'll be published. I like to remain optimistic about life lol!

If any future novel gets made into a movie well... bonus 'cause it means someone likes it enough to adapt it, more people will become fans of my work, and will by my books and love my stories and someone may give me money for the privilege to turn it into a movie :p.

angeluscado

Registered
Reaction score
Cassandra Clare's "Mortal Instruments" series is getting the movie treatment. I'd love to see her "Infernal Devices" series (prequel to "Mortal Instruments") because I love the characters more.

As for me... ehh. I'm setting out to write a good, strong book that people like. If it gets popular enough to be made into a movie, yay, but it's not the ultimate goal I'm aiming for.

Becca C.

Registered
Reaction score
I do kind of daydream about my current WIP being made into a British indie movie. Gay boys and royal palaces? I just HAVE to see that on screen.

Becca C.

Registered
Reaction score
I'm really looking forward to that one!

Me too!! I love the guy playing Troy, he looks perfect for the part. But I can't for the life of me find out who's playing Curt. It's not on IMDB :(

ETA: Oh wait, they changed his name to Marcus in the movie. He's played by someone named Matt O'Leary -- who also looks perfect. God, I can't wait!

adktd2bks

addicted to books
Registered
Reaction score
Beautiful Creatures is being made into film (haven't read the book, but I've heard about it), and my favorite book of all time, Jellicoe Road by Melina Marchetta. She's writing the script I believe.

Netz

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Ooh, Jellicoe Road? It's the only Melina Marchetta book I've read, but I loved it.

Sometimes I wonder whether I'm going to be disappointed when the film of a loved book comes out because it doesn't live up to expectations.

adktd2bks

addicted to books
Registered
Reaction score
Ooh, Jellicoe Road? It's the only Melina Marchetta book I've read, but I loved it.

Sometimes I wonder whether I'm going to be disappointed when the film of a loved book comes out because it doesn't live up to expectations.

I should correct this by saying that I don't know if it'll be released in the US at the same time as Australia. Either way, I'm going to see it. :)

Becca C.

Registered
Reaction score
Has anyone seen the movie version of MM's first book Looking for Alibrandi? I've only seen trailers on YouTube but it looks pretty good. I liked that book.

savagelilies

'til the end of time
Registered
Reaction score
I don't know how I'd feel about my books being turned into movies; every time I see a movie adaptation of a book, my idea of what the characters look like, the way they speak, etc. is altered from the original vision I had of them. I think the best example of this is Lupin--the actor did not at all match the way I pictured him when I read Harry Potter, but now, I can't picture him any other way. The image on the screen totally eclipsed the picture in my mind.

Never mind the fact that the third HP movie was butchered... that's another thing. A lot of movie adaptations stray from the book and alter it far too much. It depends, I guess. I like some movie adaptations of YA novels, and others, less so.

eyeblink

Barbara says hi
Registered
Reaction score

She wrote the script for the film version of her first novel Looking for Alibrandi, made in Australia in 2000. Now that I've read the novel (and visited Sydney, where it is set) I keep meaning to rewatch the film.

Now is Good (the film of Before I Die) was going to come out in the UK last month, but its release date has gone back to September.

Realistic/contemporary YA seems to be less often filmed than fantasy YA, particularly fantasy YA that comes in series. I guess that Hollywood is looking for YAs that can become new movie franchises.

Huge numbers of novels, YA or otherwise, get optioned for film - but the fact is that about 90% of films that are "in development" never get made.

Chazemataz

I went to sleep a poet
Registered
Reaction score
I don't know how I'd feel about my books being turned into movies; every time I see a movie adaptation of a book, my idea of what the characters look like, the way they speak, etc. is altered from the original vision I had of them. I think the best example of this is Lupin--the actor did not at all match the way I pictured him when I read Harry Potter, but now, I can't picture him any other way. The image on the screen totally eclipsed the picture in my mind.

Never mind the fact that the third HP movie was butchered... that's another thing. A lot of movie adaptations stray from the book and alter it far too much. It depends, I guess. I like some movie adaptations of YA novels, and others, less so.

I feel exactly the opposite, oddly enough. If I ever wrote a book that received a movie adaptation, I would prefer someone else to put their own spin on it or even change it around entirely. That way, I could enjoy it from someone else's perspective, if that makes sense. Same characters that I envisioned, only in different situations. Just the thought gives me goosebumps.

For example, True Blood vs. the Southern Vampire Mysteries. I love them both and consider them to be completely different- the former is trashy soap opera hour, and the latter is a cute mystery series. I wouldn't have liked a straight book-to-screen adaptation in that regard.

Netz

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
...and a lot of people forget that one of the most influential YA books ever, Speak by Laurie Halse Anderson, was made into a movie with Kristen Stewart almost ten years ago.

I read the book last year, but didn't know about the film until a few months ago (I'm not sure this ever came out in the UK). Since your post, I've tracked it down on YouTube. Kristen's very good in it. :Thumbs:

I should correct this by saying that I don't know if it'll be released in the US at the same time as Australia. Either way, I'm going to see it. :)

As long as it comes out over here in the UK, I'll be happy. :D

Yeasayer

see you on a dark night
Registered
Reaction score
Someday This Pain Will Be Useful to You (Peter Cameron) is done but I don't know if it has been released yet...?

The Spectacular Now (Tim Tharp) is in pre-production with Shailene Woodley attached to star.

Charlie Kaufman (writer of the flawless Eternal Sunshine) is writing the screenplay for the first book in the Chaos Walking trilogy. This one could be Oscar-caliber IMO.

A Sweet Valley script is being written by Diablo Cody.

The_Ink_Goddess

we're gonna make it out of the fire
Registered
Reaction score
I read the book last year, but didn't know about the film until a few months ago (I'm not sure this ever came out in the UK). Since your post, I've tracked it down on YouTube. Kristen's very good in it. :Thumbs:

To be fair, SPEAK was only a TV film in the US, I think?

thebloodfiend

Cory
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.thebooklantern.com

Miss Plum

Sockpuppet
Banned
Reaction score
Film rights were sold for The Night Circus, by AWer Erin Morgenstern, to Summit Entertainment, which also produced the Twilight saga. I haven't read that Summit will give Circus a heavier YA slant than the book, but considering the success of the genre in film I'm sure they will.

fredXgeorge

I heart sexy elves and wizards.
Registered
Reaction score
Has anyone seen the movie version of MM's first book Looking for Alibrandi? I've only seen trailers on YouTube but it looks pretty good. I liked that book.
The film's really good. And I can't wait for the film of On the Jellicoe Road to come out, even though I'll be waiting a long time. It's my favourite MM book by far.

arthur_read

Registered
Reaction score
'Tiger Eyes' by Judy Blume was made into a movie sometime in 2011 I think. Judy Blume wrote the script and I think her son was the director. I'd love to see it - it was my favorite book she wrote, but can't find it anywhere.

Lydia Sharp

for the love of love
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.lydiasharp.blogspot.com
Ally Carter's Heist Society is being made into a movie, directed (and produced, I think) by Drew Barrymore.

I believe Myra McEntire's Hourglass was optioned by 20th-century Fox... but now I can't find the link, so I could be wrong.

missesdash

You can't sit with us!
Registered
Reaction score
Blood and Chocolate was made into a really really terrible film. Not only that, but the studio completely ignored the author during the process. She wasn't even invited to the premiere. No one told her the film was being made. I believe she found out through a friend?