Does anyone have a Sony e-reader and Windows 7?

Shara

Fix it in the Rewrite
Registered
Reaction score
If so, you might be able to help.

When I first got my new laptop, with Windows 7, when I tried to download e-books I had to sign up for an Adobe ID.

Then I plugged in my Sony e-reader, and the software formatted itself so that all e-books would automatically download to the Sony reader library.

I want to undo this default. Firstly because the Sony reader software is incompatible with the iPad, and I want to be able to read the e-books I've legitimately bought and paid for on my iPad as well as on my e-reader, and secondly because some of the books I've legitimately bought and paid for appear to be telling me I'm not allowed to read them on the Sony e-reader (yes I've downloaded the EPUB format) and I wonder if downloading them using Adobe will help (as I'm assuming this has something to do with ridiculous DRM restrictions).

However, in order to change the default I seem to need Adobe digital editions, which I thought I had, but it appears I do not. Is this a free download somewhere, and is anyone able to help? It's very frustrating not to be able to read the e-books I've bought.

Shara

Torgo

Formerly Phantom of Krankor.
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
torgoblog.blogspot.com
If so, you might be able to help.

When I first got my new laptop, with Windows 7, when I tried to download e-books I had to sign up for an Adobe ID.

Then I plugged in my Sony e-reader, and the software formatted itself so that all e-books would automatically download to the Sony reader library.

I want to undo this default. Firstly because the Sony reader software is incompatible with the iPad, and I want to be able to read the e-books I've legitimately bought and paid for on my iPad as well as on my e-reader, and secondly because some of the books I've legitimately bought and paid for appear to be telling me I'm not allowed to read them on the Sony e-reader (yes I've downloaded the EPUB format) and I wonder if downloading them using Adobe will help (as I'm assuming this has something to do with ridiculous DRM restrictions).

However, in order to change the default I seem to need Adobe digital editions, which I thought I had, but it appears I do not. Is this a free download somewhere, and is anyone able to help? It's very frustrating not to be able to read the e-books I've bought.

Shara

Just strip the DRM off them. It's easily done by batch conversion in Calibre (with the right plugin.)

Shara

Fix it in the Rewrite
Registered
Reaction score
My knowledge of IT is extremely limited. I tried downloading calibre, but since I buy most of my ebooks from a particular ebook retailer and they have DRM, it wouldn't let me convert them.

I didn't know it was possible to take DRM off e-books. It would make life a lot easier. How is this done?

Chris1981

Just Another Transman
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Calibre will strip DRM if you install some third-party plug-ins. I don't remember where, exactly, I got them, but an Internet search for "Calibre plug-ins" should lead you in the right direction.

When the plug-ins are installed, you can simply open the ebook files in Calibre and then convert them. To save yourself future hassles, I'd suggest backing up the Calibre library folder so that, in the event of a computer crash/new computer purchase, you can just restore them instead of the DRM-crippled versions.