• Guest please check The Index before starting a thread.

Scriptinbox

JL_Benet

writer/teacher
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jlbenet.com
The following was posted on the message board of a genre organization I am a member of. What do you guys think? I tried my best, but I can't find anything about this Scriptinbox. Is my Google-Fu broken?

A group of ambitious assistants to top Hollywood producers/managers have started a shared script drop box designed to unearth the next big project for their bosses.

The address is scriptinbox (at) gmail.com

below is the criteria for what they are looking for:

"I have set up this email account and shared it with a select number my colleagues, who are all affiliated with major entertainment & management companies. We are reluctant to put the names of these companies forward as they all have non-solicitation policies for legal reasons.

We are on a mission to get that next great script and we are willing to do the reading leg work to make it happen. I will give any script sent to me at least 20 pages. Depending of the volume of work submitted, we are also looking at putting interns to get coverage done.

Specifically we will be searching for the following:

* On behalf managers seeking people to rep, we will be looking for any distinct screenplay or tv pilot, which shows an authentic voice and is a riveting, sophisticated and an emotionally compelling read. Genre and commercial appeal are less important for this category. The more distinct your voice as a writer the better. Show us your craft!

* On behalf of producers looking for studio projects to sell, we will be looking for projects (Spec scripts, novels and comic books) with: A guy with a gun on the cover (strong male lead & action), High Concept or Concept Driven, Alien elements, Apocalyptic elements, Sci-Fy, Time travel, Time Slip or futuristic elements (ie Source Code or Inception or Looper), Strong set pieces, Grounded Demonic Horror, monster in the house type films (Aliens) & high concept comedy.

* We will also be looking for contained and low budget Horror, & sci-fy, as well as mid budget range action for the independent market. (this market is clogged with "generic" scripts. The more distinct the idea, the better the chances of cut through.)

In your response include a PDF of your work, your contact details, a log line and one (short) sentence on how you think your work fits into the above categories

We will not be able to give any feedback.

Please feel free to share this email address with your colleagues, professional networks, friends, and writing groups.

Regards,
Scriptinbox

Disclaimer: In responding to this email you accept that material sent to this email account is done so in good faith and on an informal basis. You also acknowledge and accept that I bare no legal responsibility for any any copyright issues relating to your script. Producers, production companies and studios have many titles in development. They may already have one similar to yours. For maximum copy right protection, please register your script with the WGA. You also acknowledge that this email was not sent on behalf of any specific producer or company."

herdon

What's up?
Registered
Reaction score
Website
ipad.about.com
Sounds like a scam to me. Hint 1: They posted on a message board looking for scripts. Hint 2: They don't say who they are. Hint 3: They say they'll read at least 20 pages when 90+% of scripts can be ruled out in 2.

Foinah

Smoking Monkey Smart Arse
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.foinahjameson.com
Hint four : egregious typo in the disclaimer ~

Disclaimer: In responding to this email you accept that material sent to this email account is done so in good faith and on an informal basis. You also acknowledge and accept that I bare no legal responsibility for any any copyright issues relating to your script. Producers, production companies and studios have many titles in development. They may already have one similar to yours. For maximum copy right protection, please register your script with the WGA. You also acknowledge that this email was not sent on behalf of any specific producer or company."

That's an oopsie. Unless of course he intends to be stark naked while he snakes your script. Cackle™

HistorySleuth

Researching History's Mysteries
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.gahwny.org
Right away I thought -- no legal responsibility for any any copyright issues relating to your script, They may already have one similar to yours.---- means take someones script, tweak it a bit and say I warned you it could happen.I'd be worried about the not saying who they are thing. I'm guessing producers/studios have their own slush pile alreadywithout their employees doing this on their own.

frimble3

Heckuva good sport
Registered
Reaction score
I don't know much about how Hollywood works, but the idea of 'ambitious assistants' to assorted bigwigs sharing scripts for potential big projects seems unlikely.
How is it supposed to work, first one to the 'script box' scoops the good one to make his/her name with his/her boss, and the rest just take second best?
That seems like a work of fiction.

And, they appear to be trying to do an end-run around their bosses' non-solicitation policies (which were doubtless set up for the good and sound reasons that Scriptinabox's 'disclaimer' points out). Why would any supposed bosses touch anything from these guys with a ten-foot pole?

If someone feels ripped-off, who are they going to try to sue? Some assistant, or his boss?

Unimportant

No COVID yet. Still masking.
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
It defeated my Google-fu, too. But it smells like a scam.

CaoPaux

Mostly Harmless
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
Still no public sign of it, if it ever was a thing.