The Kidlit Gang's Support and Accountability Thread

jenndoss

Registered
Reaction score
I just wanted to share that I finished my latest book. It is the rough, ROUGH draft. I have not yet reread it or proofed it. There are probably holes I need to fix, but I made it to the end! So excited!

Supergirlofnc

New fish; Swimming with the current
Registered
Reaction score
I just wanted to share that I finished my latest book. It is the rough, ROUGH draft. I have not yet reread it or proofed it. There are probably holes I need to fix, but I made it to the end! So excited!
Congrats! Congrats! congrats! :partyguy:

DanielaTorre

Registered
Reaction score
Congrats jenndoss! Wait until you polish that baby up until it shines. Such a good feeling.

Hi everyone. Just checking in. Sort of needed to vent a bit and see how everyone is doing. I was pretty relaxed right until around the time I got the sub list from my agent. Hadn't exactly asked for it, but boom. There it was and then commenced the freaking of the out. I thought I'd keep my mind off of it by working on my current ms except I'm literally two chapters away from finishing it and I've only just gone on sub. What am I going to do for the rest of that time to keep my mind busy? This isn't supposed to happen.
:gaah :e2cry:

I expect to finish by end of August if life doesn't get in the way, but then what? Wait... aha! I have a Gothic chapter book in line. Hold on... I'm already 5K into that one. I'll finish it in no time since it'll be between 10-15K. I have tiny grains of ideas, but none are fleshed out enough to consider writing. *hyperventilates*

What am I going to do with myself? What's a writer supposed to do when they've written everything they wanted to write? I've never considered it. I cannot see beyond that. HALP!

heza

Registered
Reaction score
I thought I'd keep my mind off of it by working on my current ms except I'm literally two chapters away from finishing it and I've only just gone on sub. What am I going to do for the rest of that time to keep my mind busy? This isn't supposed to happen. I expect to finish by end of August if life doesn't get in the way, but then what?

I thought you were drafting that one. Are you already in revisions?

Wait... aha! I have a Gothic chapter book in line. Hold on... I'm already 5K into that one. I'll finish it in no time since it'll be between 10-15K. I have tiny grains of ideas, but none are fleshed out enough to consider writing. *hyperventilates*

What am I going to do with myself? What's a writer supposed to do when they've written everything they wanted to write? I've never considered it. I cannot see beyond that. HALP!

Well, I'd finish the current book, finish the Gothic, write down as much as you can for your shiny nugget ideas so it doesn't escape you in the meantime (sometimes doing that sparks other ideas and I can draft more), and then, if nothing else presents itself, maybe take a nice break to do some serious reading?

ETA: or do something totally outside of writing/reading so you don't burn out....

Last edited:

DanielaTorre

Registered
Reaction score
I thought you were drafting that one. Are you already in revisions?

The one on sub is the one you beta'd. The one I'm finishing up is new. I jumped right into it late last year and now finishing. Can't wait to finish. But I found that I'm subconsciously putting it off. Happened to me with my last ms. I tried figuring out why I tend to stall once I'm at the end and realized it's because I simply don't want to let go of my characters.

Well, I'd finish the current book, finish the Gothic, write down as much as you can for your shiny nugget ideas so it doesn't escape you in the meantime (sometimes doing that sparks other ideas and I can draft more), and then, if nothing else presents itself, maybe take a nice break to do some serious reading?

ETA: or do something totally outside of writing/reading so you don't burn out....

I don't remember a time before writing. I've been doing it as long as I can remember. It's a hobby. I also have never been in a situation where I haven't had an idea waiting to be tackled at the very least. I wonder how career authors do it. Rick Riordan is a prime example of a career middle grade writer, pushing series after series out. Jeezy Creezy.

I do have ideas for follow-ups for these books. Maybe I'll tackled those when I'm completely out of ideas. I do have a chapter book in mind. Never written one before. Maybe that'll follow the chapter book.

heza

Registered
Reaction score
DanielaTorre said:
I tried figuring out why I tend to stall once I'm at the end and realized it's because I simply don't want to let go of my characters.

I've worked on several series ideas, but I haven't gotten to the second story of a series, so far. I was assuming that as long as I had the "next" book in the ether, then I wouldn't be done with the characters and wouldn't be tempted to think of it as letting them go. And if I have characters I like equally well in another story, I don't think I'd have trouble moving to that story. But I'm the same way with TV. I watch a dozen shows and when one ends for the week, I take solace that I have others.

Then again, when the time comes, I'm probably going to end up like my mother: "You're old enough. You've lived here a long time. Get out, get an apartment. I'm tired of you leaving half drunk coke cans everywhere!" and be grateful to write "the end."

I do have a set of stories that I'm "going to write" in my head. It's quite a few books and should keep me busy. I have wondered what I'd do if I ever finished. I guess I thought new ideas would come, with just as much dressing as the current ideas had when I started thinking them up. Like, the ideas would build over the years while I finished other things and I'd end up with this constantly evolving roster of things to write.

I do have ideas for follow-ups for these books. Maybe I'll tackled those when I'm completely out of ideas. I do have a chapter book in mind. Never written one before. Maybe that'll follow the chapter book.

I'll admit to not having read a lot of Rick Riordan, but it seems like some of his series are follow-ups to other series, or at least have a very similar flavor. Not that there's anything wrong with continuing to develop a world people love or to keep writing to your author brand... but doing so seems like it would generate ideas more easily than having to come up with something completely new... probably especially if you're prone to complicated world building because you've already got your own canon to build on.

DavidBrett

Alas, poor Yorick, he fed me 'nanas
Registered
Reaction score
Website
davidbrettandrews.wordpress.com
Hey everyone, long time...

Sadly, still have depression, but I feel like I'm finally clawing my way back (only been a year, lol). Last few months have been hectic ones of constant stress and upheaval, as my previous landlords decided to retire and sold all their properties to move to Cornwall. Fortunately, I managed to get a room under sheltered accommodation with the council; basically, it's like a hostel for vulnerable young adults, only with focused key workers and help programs to aid in our recovery. I feel I'm finally settled in, and should be able to start writing properly for the first time in almost a year - just in time for NaNo!

As part of my therapist's recommendation, I managed to get special permission from management here to put a small computer desk in my room - nothing fancy, just enough to sit comfortably in a relaxed environment, rather than being hunched up on my bed, laptop propped (and burning) against my legs. Already, I can feel the stress slipping away, and all I've written is this post!

Anyways, just to let you know I'm going to strive to be more active on here, and with my creative writing, but it won't be easy. Hopefully I can get help to see me through the tough times if they come up...?

Dave

Supergirlofnc

Registered
Reaction score
Hey everyone, long time...

Sadly, still have depression, but I feel like I'm finally clawing my way back (only been a year, lol). Last few months have been hectic ones of constant stress and upheaval, as my previous landlords decided to retire and sold all their properties to move to Cornwall. Fortunately, I managed to get a room under sheltered accommodation with the council; basically, it's like a hostel for vulnerable young adults, only with focused key workers and help programs to aid in our recovery. I feel I'm finally settled in, and should be able to start writing properly for the first time in almost a year - just in time for NaNo!

As part of my therapist's recommendation, I managed to get special permission from management here to put a small computer desk in my room - nothing fancy, just enough to sit comfortably in a relaxed environment, rather than being hunched up on my bed, laptop propped (and burning) against my legs. Already, I can feel the stress slipping away, and all I've written is this post!

Anyways, just to let you know I'm going to strive to be more active on here, and with my creative writing, but it won't be easy. Hopefully I can get help to see me through the tough times if they come up...?

Dave

David - You have my support and I'm sorry it's been a hard time lately. I'm glad to see you back! I'm trying to post more also. Are you going to try for NaNoWriMo? I am - but my goal might be 15K-20K :)

Laurie

DavidBrett

Registered
Reaction score
Website
Hiya Laurie,

Yeah, I'm planning to tackle NaNo, with a brand new novel based on my two steampunk short stories from ages ago (they can still be found on SYW) called "Oliver Cantrop and the Insatiable Rust" - not sure whether I'll be aiming for the 50k goal after having been away from writing for so long, but I'll do my best!

Dave

Supergirlofnc

Registered
Reaction score
Hiya Laurie,

Yeah, I'm planning to tackle NaNo, with a brand new novel based on my two steampunk short stories from ages ago (they can still be found on SYW) called "Oliver Cantrop and the Insatiable Rust" - not sure whether I'll be aiming for the 50k goal after having been away from writing for so long, but I'll do my best!

Dave

Dave - I've never been able to write more than 20-25K in a month! Maybe I'll try to push myself, though. It would be cool to get 50K in a month!

Laurie

MJWare

Kidlit gang, Junior member.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.MJAWare.com
Hi All,
Thought I'd check in and was glad to see some old faces around (new one's too)!

I've been in the same boat as David, only not as long. I just can't write a decent word, and it's brutal. I gear myself up to write, then go back and read it in a day or two and it's terrible. This has been happening for 7+ months and every time it gets harder and harder to write again (in case you are wondering my writing really does suck--I always think my own writing is the cat's PJ's).

So David, I'll send some warm thoughts your way; I hope you can write. I can see your challenges are much greater than mine and so maybe your determination to keep writing will help me write something (decent).

Here's cheering for both of us.

CheG

Registered
Reaction score
Website
chegilson.blogspot.com
I'm thinking of stealing a setting/concept that I had originally planned for a MG novel (or series of novels) and writing a YA novella set in the same place. I'd still like to get the MG books written one day but I'm tired of sitting on this concept! I need to seize the day! LOL!

DavidBrett

Registered
Reaction score
Website
Is it really stealing when it's your own idea? Think of it as adapting the concept, then you can always go back to the MG titles as being for younger readers (like the late Sir Terry Pratchett did with his Discworld novels). I have plans for 3 or 4 different paranormal, modern-fantasy adventure titles, and give frequent consideration to one day bringing them all together in some super apocalyptic crossover novel!

Same goes for my steampunk-ish, anime-inspired mecha-fantasy, but that's another story for another time, lol.

Dave

MJWare

Kidlit gang, Junior member.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.MJAWare.com
I agree with David, there's a fine line between MG and YA, so go for it. YA is still Kidlit in my book.

DanielaTorre

Registered
Reaction score
Woohoo!!! 67k words later and I just this instance finished my latest manuscript. :snoopy: I'm officially not a one-book writer anymore. I meant to finish in August but the damned thing just got longer and longer. That's fantasy for you, I suppose. It came out wonderful considering I wrote the entire thing without an outline or bullet-points to follow. I'm so happy. Now I can go on and finish that gothic chapter book I'm halfway through.

I feel so good today that I'm going to treat myself to something nice. I dunno what yet, but I'll find out.

If anyone wants to swap soon, I'll be ready in about a month so hit me up if you have something you want to trade. I'll be posting a Want Ad on the Beta Forum sometime in January. *skips away, elated*

How's everyone else doing?

heza

Registered
Reaction score
I need some support. I'm having one of those "Someone stole my book idea!" (but not really) breakdowns.

I saw this book mentioned a while back and I was cautiously optimistic that it wasn't exactly like my book, but now that the cover copy is out... well, it's still not exactly like mine plot-wise or even setting-wise, but all the cool elements that I thought were pretty original in mine are also in this one. And it really is something that I haven't seen a lot of in MG, so I had this mad delusion that I was going to be the first one to tread the ground... now, no matter how different my plot is, there's no way my book won't be taken as a copy cat. I mean, forget the Harry Potter comparisons....

So I'm sad. I'm also pretty angry with myself. Because if I hadn't been dithering around and had written this book even a year ago (and I've been sitting on it for five), I wouldn't have this problem.

I guess the positive side is that it's getting good buzz, so my questioning whether the topic would or wouldn't fly has at least been answered.

DanielaTorre

Registered
Reaction score
I need some support. I'm having one of those "Someone stole my book idea!" (but not really) breakdowns.

I saw this book mentioned a while back and I was cautiously optimistic that it wasn't exactly like my book, but now that the cover copy is out... well, it's still not exactly like mine plot-wise or even setting-wise, but all the cool elements that I thought were pretty original in mine are also in this one. And it really is something that I haven't seen a lot of in MG, so I had this mad delusion that I was going to be the first one to tread the ground... now, no matter how different my plot is, there's no way my book won't be taken as a copy cat. I mean, forget the Harry Potter comparisons....

So I'm sad. I'm also pretty angry with myself. Because if I hadn't been dithering around and had written this book even a year ago (and I've been sitting on it for five), I wouldn't have this problem.

I guess the positive side is that it's getting good buzz, so my questioning whether the topic would or wouldn't fly has at least been answered.

Oh wow, Hez. That sucks so much. I think everyone here can commiserate. Have you actually picked the book up? Maybe it's just the elements or tropes that's similar. So long as the plot and setting is different, there shouldn't be a problem. Magic, wands, spells, etc., don't belong to just one person. I suggest you pick this book up, read it, and make your decision then. You might just find that it's not as similar as you think.

Also, don't beat yourself up. Your book will be finished when it's finished. Life gets in the way and there's nothing wrong with that. What's more, you can use this similar book that's out as a catapult to finish. It would definitely rile me up.

I remember seeing the FANTASTIC BEASTS trailer last month and thinking, oh crap. Magic, magicians, roaring twenties in America... my stupid book's on sub! Ugh. Not another HP comparison. But then I was like, nah. Way different. Mine's set in the present with 20s elements in the hidden town.

I'll never escape it, especially with that movie coming out. And it'll either help or hurt my chances of selling it. But what are you going to do. :Shrug:

heza

Registered
Reaction score
Thanks for the kind words, Dani.

Oh wow, Hez. That sucks so much. I think everyone here can commiserate. Have you actually picked the book up? Maybe it's just the elements or tropes that's similar. So long as the plot and setting is different, there shouldn't be a problem. Magic, wands, spells, etc., don't belong to just one person. I suggest you pick this book up, read it, and make your decision then. You might just find that it's not as similar as you think.

It's not actually out until later this year. I was just reading the copy on Amazon. It really is just the elements that are similar, but they're pretty serious elements: child necromancers. I'm positive my characters, plot, themes, etc. are totally different... it was just that one thing that I didn't want to be following someone else on. Now if someone points out a whole swath of books with child necromancers, then I'll feel better... or worse. But then, at least the ship would really have sailed well before this and I could stop brooding.

Also, don't beat yourself up. Your book will be finished when it's finished. Life gets in the way and there's nothing wrong with that. What's more, you can use this similar book that's out as a catapult to finish. It would definitely rile me up.

I will. Best to be the first one riding the coattails of a possible trend rather than the fifteenth, right? At least I now have a fair comp book, which I was having trouble finding before. Lol.

I remember seeing the FANTASTIC BEASTS trailer last month and thinking, oh crap. Magic, magicians, roaring twenties in America... my stupid book's on sub! Ugh. Not another HP comparison. But then I was like, nah. Way different. Mine's set in the present with 20s elements in the hidden town.
That's interesting. The comparison between that and your book wouldn't have even crossed my mind. I guess it just goes to show how paranoid we can be about it all. Maybe no one will even make the connection if mine ever does get published. *crosses fingers*

DanielaTorre

Registered
Reaction score
Thanks for the kind words, Dani.

It's not actually out until later this year. I was just reading the copy on Amazon. It really is just the elements that are similar, but they're pretty serious elements: child necromancers. I'm positive my characters, plot, themes, etc. are totally different... it was just that one thing that I didn't want to be following someone else on. Now if someone points out a whole swath of books with child necromancers, then I'll feel better... or worse. But then, at least the ship would really have sailed well before this and I could stop brooding.

I will. Best to be the first one riding the coattails of a possible trend rather than the fifteenth, right? At least I now have a fair comp book, which I was having trouble finding before. Lol.

It all depends if the book that's coming out is successful or not. It's easier for people to compare things to Harry Potter because it's so well known. All us writers who write about kids and magic are beaten over the head with it constantly. But it's all a matter of perspective. Just because it comes out first, doesn't mean it'll be better than yours, similar to yours, or heck, even sell well. In fact, a lot of people don't realize (or choose to ignore) that HP is a meatier version of THE WORST WITCH by Jill Murphy which came out in 1974 in England. While The Worst Witch is very popular, especially overseas, it still takes a back seat to HP's popularity. I read TWW. I was blown away with the similarities. The only difference was the cast and the plot.

So finish your book and prove this other book wrong!

That's interesting. The comparison between that and your book wouldn't have even crossed my mind. I guess it just goes to show how paranoid we can be about it all. Maybe no one will even make the connection if mine ever does get published. *crosses fingers*

My point exactly. All sorts of thoughts ran through my head and then I remember I had no fantastic beasts in my book save for the Mephistophelean elements sprinkled in. My mind just went banana meatballs and I freaked out over nothing. Now I don't care at all.

Penguin_Factory

Registered
Reaction score

If it makes you feel any better (or, well, maybe it doesn't), I have a completed novel about child mediums (the necromancers are the bad guys). So it seems like there's something ghost and resurrection-related in the MG water supply.

This book is probably not as similar to yours as you're thinking. Just last year something came out that seemed at first glance to be exactly the same as mine--kids going to the underworld and talking to ghosts, oh no!--but then I calmed down and read the plot description and it turned out they really weren't that similar at all.

But, uh, any chance you could tell me the title of you book that's got you shook? Now I'm kind of curious >.>