Publishers Question [self publishing options?]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Katrina S. Forest

Registered
Reaction score
Website
katrinasforest.com
Okay, I heard you all. I won't go that route. Which site does anyone prefer between createspace or lulu?

I just noticed this thread never got more replies. You might get more help if you start a new thread in the Self-Publishing section:

http://www.absolutewrite.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=47

Lulu and CreateSpace aren't the only two printers out there, just the two most well-known ones. You can look through their options on each of their webpages (I believe they both have a "cost calculator" as well so you can determine the minimum price they would set your book at.)

Do your research, ask lots of questions, and decide which is the best route for you.

Best of luck!

jaksen

Caped Codder
Registered
Reaction score
In MA, USA, across from a 17th century cemetery
I'd also suggest (if you're still reading this thread, Cathy) that you consider publishing several of your stories together. I've checked your web page, etc., and your stories run on the short side, like flash fiction. (I don't know the word count for each.)

So maybe a collection? (Which is a group of stories all by one author published in a single volume.)

Reaction score
Website
www.cathymcdowell.vpweb.com
A friend of mine published a book on Lulu and she has gotten said book carried in local bookstores herself. Plus she's promoted it with readings and online and other things.

I get that you want to find a publisher who will do this for you but if you go this route, I do not think you are likely to find that because that's not what self-publishing does. Going this route means you will be responsible for getting interest up but word of mouth can be pretty powerful.

I am going with createspace and lulu. People can buy from either and I can buy (cheaper) through createspace.
I plan to take orders and I'll purchase what's needed plus a dozen or so I can take with me to the beach etc.
Don't know how easy it will be to get in book stores but I can sit close by . . lol I have a website, I have business cards, I have facebook, I have twitter, I have- I have - I have. What I don't have is a way to get my book in stores.
I already have a following so I should do okay. I also plan on contacting the local newspaper.
Maybe a bookstore will see it and contact me for a book signing. I'll take what they'll give me.
Besides, I won't be spending money to do this.
Thanks for your help.

Last edited by a moderator:

alimay

Registered
Reaction score
Seconding the Good Luck here, and I would also like to add keep writing the stories.

If I'm right, you wrote 11 short stories in a month? That's really impressive. Have you checked out the W1S1 (write 1 story, submit 1 story) section? I've found it really helpful.

Ali

Status
Not open for further replies.