Welcome to the AbsoluteWrite Water Cooler! Please read The Newbie Guide To Absolute Write

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: PoC Historical People

practical experience, FTW I survived's Avatar
    If you really want to push the controversal button how about Budha, Jesus, and Abraham

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Unimportant View Post
    Cleopatra (before/between marriages)
    She was Greek by heritage... Last Egyptian, Egyptain Pharaoh was King Tut...

Quote Originally Posted by Flicka View Post
    I always had a thing for the Chevalier de Saint-George, renowned swordsman composer, conductor, and violinist in France during the second half of the 18th century. I don't know enough about his personal life to know if he would be available or not, but he was a hottie.
    He never married. He seems pretty cool too. Smart and artistic as well has the whole Knight thing to him.

Quote Originally Posted by I survived View Post
    If you really want to push the controversal button how about Budha, Jesus, and Abraham
    In another story I'm writing Santa Claus as Turkish (like the original Saint Nicholas was) and having another Santa be black. (Which is Saint Martin.) I'm sure that'll make people upset... but it's true. Santa should be Turkish--which I'm sure would make the racist White Christians very, very wary... Haha.
    Last edited by Rachel Udin; 06-01-2012 at 09:10 AM.

Does Lebanese count as POC? In that case my first pick would be Kahlil Gibran.
    This is an oil painting of him at 25.
    And that's besides the fact that he's Kahlil Gibran.

Also, I've always had a soft spot for Hongi Hika. He was a Maori chief back when NZ was first being settled. I don't agree with every stand he took, but I always really liked that he seemed to love and respect his (blind) wife so much. Fierce warrior with a secret heart of gold anyone?
    Obviously I'd have to get in there before she arrived on the scene though
    Tumblr
    My Website

Tempting the Unicorn

If the idea is not original, at least let it be unpredictable. If it is not unpredictable, let it be beautiful. If it is not beautiful, let it be meaningful. If it is not meaningful, let it go.

Quote Originally Posted by Rachel Udin View Post
    She was Greek by heritage... Last Egyptian, Egyptain Pharaoh was King Tut...

Not really. Current studies put her as the daughter of a Nubian concubine, which is why she was so popular with the "common" people.
    <---- NEW BOOK (Snazzy new cover coming ASAP.)

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Cyia View Post
    Not really. Current studies put her as the daughter of a Nubian concubine, which is why she was so popular with the "common" people.
    Eh~ Wikipedia says she was daughter of Cleopatra IV? (With reference). I guess her mother is up for debate. That would be something to ask her. Or if they find her tomb to genetically test for.

BTW, Lebanese is definitely PoC. And he was pretty good looking back then. There is a window before his marriage proposal/meeting that could fit.

My Google-Fu is failing spectacularly, but I'm almost certain that there was a noted Elizabethan painting, of someone who would certainly fit the criteria, in one of the Taschen books - not a commoner, plucked from obscurity, but a prominent member of society at the time. I'll keep hunting when I have time...
    The blog, which may not be updated regularly enough. -- I'm linking to other AW blogs here. -- There's some nonsense here when I can be bothered.
    Don't hold your breath...

Quote Originally Posted by AbielleRose View Post
    Dude, I am not that flexible.
    Quote Originally Posted by aliwood View Post
    The SFF Review Educational Supplement is now open. I'll be listing books, podcasts, online courses and anything else that aims to help the SFF writer improve their skills, provided they're free. (the books, podcasts, online courses and anything else, not the writers)

The British Comics Database is growing. Or mutating. I'm not quite sure which, yet.

Trust: that most precious coin. little_e's Avatar
    Mansa Musa, at least as he's drawn in the book I read

He never married. He seems pretty cool too. Smart and artistic as well has the whole Knight thing to him.
    He's sometimes called 'the black Mozart'. A sword-wielding, musketeer-style musician, who's smart and good-looking... That just ticks all my boxes.

In another story I'm writing Santa Claus as Turkish (like the original Saint Nicholas was) and having another Santa be black. (Which is Saint Martin.) I'm sure that'll make people upset... but it's true. Santa should be Turkish--which I'm sure would make the racist White Christians very, very wary... Haha.
    Well, enough of them seem to overlook that Jesus and the Apostles were all Jewish...
    The Rags of Time | Twitter | The Fear of the Blank Page

"She had not character enough to take to drinking, and moaned about, slipshod and in curl-papers all day"

Currently working on:A Candle to the Devil (mystery; set in 1628)
    Perfect Shadows (mystery; set in 1920)

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Flicka View Post
    He's sometimes called 'the black Mozart'. A sword-wielding, musketeer-style musician, who's smart and good-looking... That just ticks all my boxes.

Well, enough of them seem to overlook that Jesus and the Apostles were all Jewish...
    Don't forget that Jesus was part African too--he was part Egyptian on Mary's side. I'm writing that into the story too.

In Honor of Peter Tomich,USS Utah Komnena's Avatar
    Kamehameha
    Komnena
    new messterpiece 2503 words

practical experience, FTW Adelaide's Avatar
    Huey Newton for sure late 60s. I don't know if he was with someone at the time.

Paul Robeson (Rutgers days or anything thereafter)

Langston Hughes ca. 1920 - he might've been gay and I am a woman, but we can eschew that for now

Jean-Michel Basquiat ca. his heydey, before he died, etc

the guy who played bass on Crosby Stills Nash and Young's album Deja Vu. He was like 19 at the time and gorgeous!

Sam Cooke basically up to his time of death
    "If I chance to talk a little wild, forgive me."
    -W. Shakespeare

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12