PoC Historical People

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rachel Udin

Banned
Reaction score
Website
www.racheludin.com
Not on AW, but I've had some trouble getting people to come up with historical characters they want to date that *aren't* white. I chalk it up to ignorance... and those sad, sad things they call "World" History textbooks.

Rules are as follows:
- Has to be of legal age. (King Tut is obviously a no).
- Can be male or female, QUILTBAG (I have slots for that--though my FMC is heterosexual--other characters will come in who are not).
- Please name date/time period.
- Person cannot be married or engaged/in love with someone else when plucked from time.

Since I have a *long* list of white people, I would like hunky and beautiful PoC's too (From around the world), especially since the FMC is going to most likely be mixed anyway. If you feel like it, also on the "Absolutely not" list as well. She's dating as part of her therapy... (Woman's Lit/Sci-fi/Fantasy/Magic Realism/Humor)

I'm doing it by popular vote since obviously my taste in hunky is not the same as every other person on the planet.

*Begs* PLEASE balance my list. >.<;;

Lavern08

Sit Down, and Shut Up!
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Rules are as follows:

- Person cannot be married or engaged/in love with someone else when plucked from time.

Well, that last rule just blew it for me, because I was gonna suggest:

King Solomon
Booker T. Washington
Frederick Douglas
and...

Denzel Washington - What? :Shrug:
:D

Kitty Pryde

i luv you giant bear statue
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I find this thread to be awesome and mildly hilarious. Let's see here...

Cesar Chavez (hunky younger days)
Matthew Henson
Bob Marley
Fela Kuti
Carmen Miranda
Eva Peron
Freddie Mercury

firedrake

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
Che Guevera

Rachel Udin

Banned
Reaction score
Website
www.racheludin.com
Well, that last rule just blew it for me, because I was gonna suggest:

King Solomon
Booker T. Washington
Frederick Douglas
and...

Denzel Washington - What? :Shrug:
:D
You prefer them at the time they were married? ^.~ You *could* do it before they married or when they were a widow/divorced...

Last edited:

Lady Goddess

*insert something epic here*
Registered
Reaction score
Freddie Mercury

Omg so much this. ;;

I actually don't think I have a real attraction to PoC from historical times. I just view them as historical figures not people I want to date.

You're going to make me think long and hard about this. I will get back to you. Promise.

Oh wait. Before I forget:

Tupac

But yeah, I'll come back with more. Just let me think about it.

Cyia

Rewriting My Destiny
Registered
Reaction score
If this is a lit project, then you can't go wrong with a writer - how about Alexandre Dumas? (younger version)

For a lady's part, orif you need an entrepreneur - Madam CJ Walker

Many - many - of the men and women at the Alamo would be POC.

Jehhillenberg

N/A
Registered
Reaction score
I actually don't think I have a real attraction to PoC from historical times. I just view them as historical figures not people I want to date.

But here goes...

Dorothy Dandridge ('20-'50s)
Rudolph Valentino ('10s-'20s)
Langston Hughes ('20s-'40s)
Harry Belafonte ('50s)
(early '80s and back) Michael Jackson
Malcolm X ('40s-'60s)
Josephine Baker ('30s-'50s)
Lena Horne ('40s-'60s)
Florence "Flo-Jo" Griffith Joyner ('80s-'90s)

Jehhillenberg

N/A
Registered
Reaction score
I considered him because he's Italian, part anyway and is of some color to me.

Cyia

Rewriting My Destiny
Registered
Reaction score
Ching Shih would be an interesting addition to any group of historical figures. I'm not sure how old she was when her husband died, though. You can also include some of the more obvious names, like Sacajawea, Squanto, King Xerxes, Queen Esther, the Queen of Sheba, Saladin (another one you'd have to stick to a "young" version of) Far more recent history, but someone young, would be Selena Quintanilla

Last edited:

mirandashell

Banned
Reaction score
I considered him because he's Italian, part anyway and is of some color to me.

Ah. In America, Italians are considered PoC? Hmm.. I didn't know that.

He actually had an Italian father and a French mother. So it wouldn't have occured to me to think he was PoC. Cultural differences, I guess.

Alessandra Kelley

Sophipygian
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.alessandrakelley.com

He actually had an Italian father and a French mother. So it wouldn't have occured to me to think he was PoC. Cultural differences, I guess.

Not since the 1910s, I suspect. Where I have lived and visited (just about the entire eastern half of North America) Italians are not considered PoC at all.

mirandashell

Banned
Reaction score
Not since the 1910s, I suspect. Where I have lived and visited (just about the entire eastern half of North America) Italians are not considered PoC at all.

That's kind of what I thought. Maybe the confusion has arisen because of his roles as a Sheik.

backslashbaby

~~~~*~~~~
Registered
Reaction score
That's kind of what I thought. Maybe the confusion has arisen because of his roles as a Sheik.

There were at least rumours that he was part Middle Eastern. It made him the romantic, very exotic foreigner at the time. I didn't even know his real ethnicity, actually :)

Rachel Udin

Banned
Reaction score
Website
www.racheludin.com
Oh, I just remembered. Mary Seacole would be a good choice.

She wasn't great looking but she was a smart, strong and fascinating woman

She was kinda pretty when she was young. I'm thinking about taking her around the beginning of 1845-- after her husband's and mother's death. Can put in the attribution to her getting "fortunate" after that date.

Matthew Henson, probably the actual first person to walk at the North Pole (as seen in this hilarious "Hark A Vagrant" cartoon).

(I'm not personally interested in dating, but I believe he fulfills your requirements)
Reminds me vaguely of of Latimer and Edison (Edison did not invent the lightbulb--he just learned how to market it.)

If I take him, probably be from 1900 or so. =P Main character and him can make fun of racists taking credit for other people's work. (Peary from the RL account seems like he was a real jerk.)

Alessandra Kelley

Sophipygian
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.alessandrakelley.com

There were at least rumours that he was part Middle Eastern. It made him the romantic, very exotic foreigner at the time. I didn't even know his real ethnicity, actually :)

It only just occurred to me, the connection between Italians and PoC may have been because Italian actors were often called on to play PoC, especially Native Americans. For example, see Frank Dekova, whose portrayal of "Chief Wild Eagle" on "F Troop" the Mystery Science Theatre 3000 guys called "hateful." Iron Eyes Cody, a spokesperson for Native Americans who starred in a famous anti-pollution commercial in the early 1970s, was revealed late in life to have been born Espera Oscar de Corti. Armand Assante played a Native American in "Prophecy" as recently as 1979.

Anyhow, Italians are not generally considered PoC in the US.

Unimportant

No COVID yet. Still masking.
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Cleopatra (before/between marriages) and Hatshepsut (after she was widowed) -- Egyptian, no idea what year/dynasty.

Maria Callas (questionable as PoC -- she was Greek) -- say, 1959, after she left her husband.

Alexander the Great -- Macedonian, prior to his marriage(s), waaay back whenever.

mirandashell

Banned
Reaction score
It only just occurred to me, the connection between Italians and PoC may have been because Italian actors were often called on to play PoC, especially Native Americans. For example, see Frank Dekova, whose portrayal of "Chief Wild Eagle" on "F Troop" the Mystery Science Theatre 3000 guys called "hateful." Iron Eyes Cody, a spokesperson for Native Americans who starred in a famous anti-pollution commercial in the early 1970s, was revealed late in life to have been born Espera Oscar de Corti. Armand Assante played a Native American in "Prophecy" as recently as 1979.

Anyhow, Italians are not generally considered PoC in the US.

Yeah, that would make sense.

Although the worst representation of Native American I've seen in a film was Paul Newman.

I mean, could he look any more North European?

Flicka

Dull Old Person
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.theragsoftime.com
I always had a thing for the Chevalier de Saint-George, renowned swordsman composer, conductor, and violinist in France during the second half of the 18th century. I don't know enough about his personal life to know if he would be available or not, but he was a hottie.

Status
Not open for further replies.