How Many Of You Switch Historical Era?

gothicangel

Toughen up.
Registered
Reaction score
As man of you know, I write solely in the era of Ancient Rome [so, far specifically in the reign of Hadrian.] When I was at uni I did a class in Scottish Renaissance History, and had an idea for a novel about the Scottish Reformation [trust me, it far more interesting than the English :D] And I've begun reading Robyn Young's Insurrection [about Robert the Bruce] and it's given me the hunger back to write that book on Patrick Hamilton.

So, do many of you flirt with different periods? How difficult is it [though it's a bit easier writing about the Rennaisance and Scotland because of my degree, than starting from scratch with the Romans]? Are there any bit falls? Do you find it a good idea to take a break from certain areas to refresh yourself?

Ta. :)

Flicka

Dull Old Person
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.theragsoftime.com
I recently switched from 18th century to 1920s and the 5th-6th century.

While I could pretty much imagine a perfectly credible background story for a politician or a spinster in 1752, or come up with a philosophical discussion or design a home befitting the character's social status off the top of my head, I'm now at a loss to describe even the most basic facts of (not so much true for the 1920s as the Medieval stuff).

I don't rule out returning to the 18th century at some point. I love history, and I love learning new things, so I think I'll probably branch out further too in the future, but I plan to stick with 1920s/30s and the early Middle Ages for a while and build up some knowledge.

For me, personally, I think it's easier that they are all three so different. I mean, had I done 14th century versus 12th century, I might have had greater trouble keeping them distinctly different in my writing, but stays and powder vs flappers and eugenetics vs Germanic tribes and early Christianity? Very different feeling.

I think one of the best things is that it makes it easier to compartmentalize different ideas and WIPs. I think that makes it easier to keep up your enthusiasm for different projects. Plus, from a commercial point of view, I can't see that diversity hurts. If someone loves Tudir England, they may be interested in your Renaissance story and when they read that, they may want to try out your Roman stuff. Gives you more angles basically.

DianeL

Registered
Reaction score
Website
dianelmajor.blogspot.com
The completed manuscript and the WIP are both set in Late Antiquity, but the third will fall closer to the Norman Conquest, likely opening in the years leading up to 1066. That is a 500-year shift, but to modern eyes there may be relatively little difference!

Shakesbear

knows a hawk from a handsaw
Registered
Reaction score
I prefer Elizabethan and c1790 to c1810. I do research and immerse myself in the period I am writing about. I think that the main pitfall in changing periods is having the mindset of one when writing about the other. I try to think myself into the period, imagine what it was like.

thothguard51

A Gentleman of a refined age...
Registered
Reaction score
As a reader, I love certain time periods of history. I have read a lot of Bernard Cornwell historical fiction recently and loved them all except for his Sharp series.

As a writer, I want to stretch myself into other era's and time periods. Still, without doing a lot of research, I write what I know, what I like to read, and this makes me happy.

So I question myself on if my lack of knowledge inhibits my reading and writing taste, or if my reading and writing taste inhibits my lack of knowledge. Maybe a bit of both...

Evangeline

Twirling in a glass of champagne
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.edwardianpromenade.com
Before I settled on the Edwardian era, I hopped through a ton of time periods with my MSS, so I now know a little about a lot of places. The only pitfall I have with moving through different time periods is the research! My WIP is set in 1917, and I've had to research while writing the actual MS.

ishtar'sgate

living in the past
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.linneaheinrichs.com
So, do many of you flirt with different periods? Ta. :)

Yup. My last book was set during the medieval period and my current wip is set in ancient Babylon. I love history so when I find a period that interests me for whatever reason, I just can't help telling a story around it. I also love research so it's no big deal to switch eras. I pretty much gobble up everything I can find on it and then start writing.

cooeedownunder

Grateful for the day
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.australianflavour.net
I've written about Australia in the 1700s to Australia and England in the early 1800s to Australia 1966, and I loved to write about somewhere that isn't real after all that research.

angeliz2k

never mind the shorty
Registered
Reaction score
Commonwealth of Virginia--it's for lovers
Website
www.elizabethhuhn.com
Yes, I've jumped a bit.

My first completed WIP was Roman Britain. I do like ancient Rome, but I think that that was a one-off.

I will probably stick to the period between the 17th century and the turn of the 20th century. I've written about Revolutionary France and at the moment am writing about Antebellum America. I would write about the Colonial period; I would write about in the Gilded Age; but I don't think I will ever write in any period before or after that. I simply am not drawn to anything later than WWI.

ETA: Although they're only about 70 years apart, there's a world of difference between pre-Revolutionary France and Antebellum America. Specifically, Americans were much more uptight about sex (at least officially). Very different attitudes.

gothicangel

Toughen up.
Registered
Reaction score
My first completed WIP was Roman Britain. I do like ancient Rome, but I think that that was a one-off.

The book I have out on sub is set in Roman Britain [fall of the Antonine Wall], and the current WIP is set in Ancient Rome. But I think I will be going back to Roman Britian to write about the Antonine invasion of southern Scotland. :D

gothicangel

Toughen up.
Registered
Reaction score
The completed manuscript and the WIP are both set in Late Antiquity, but the third will fall closer to the Norman Conquest, likely opening in the years leading up to 1066. That is a 500-year shift, but to modern eyes there may be relatively little difference!

From what I've seen in bookshops, the Norman period looks like it will be the new hot-topic. I have one on my 'to read pile.' Looks like you've hit the road running! :)

DianeL

Registered
Reaction score
Website
dianelmajor.blogspot.com
From what I've seen in bookshops, the Norman period looks like it will be the new hot-topic. I have one on my 'to read pile.' Looks like you've hit the road running! :)

Hah - except I have to complete revisions on The Ax and the Vase, and complete the WIP before I even get to that one! The Norman period novel is going to be based on the origins of my own family, in the Channel Islands. I do look forward to getting to it - guess I should get to those revisions!

DeleyanLee

Writing Anarchist
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I don't think varying the eras you write in is so bad. One of my favorite authors, Sharon Kay Penman, does concentrate with the Plantagenet era, but she goes to several other eras in English/French history just as easily. I know she's going to tell a good story, so I'll follow her wherever she wants to write.

As a reader, I have several eras of interest that I'll pick up new books in and, if I like the authors, I'll follow them as I do Ms Penman. The more eras an author can hit and do well, the more readers we have a chance with.

L.C. Blackwell

Keeper of Fort Blanket
Registered
Reaction score
I find the switch is actually a good thing when my brain starts to get tired. It gives me something fresh to chew on--so after the Cold War between the US and USSR, I'm heading for the 1700s and the Hapsburg Empire. :)

Deb Kinnard

Banned
Flounced
Reaction score
Website
www.debkinnard.com
I've switched. My early pubbed novels were contemporaries, then I sold SEASONS IN THE MIST which sort of made a minor name in Christian medieval time travel romance (trust me, it's not that big a subgenre). I just sold a three book continuity (see below) that takes place in 973, 1356, and 1485 respectively. I'm working on a immigrant's story set in 1905. In addition, I keep playing with a piece about Galileo's unknown illegitimate daughter, which is going slowly because I know absolutely nothing about the Italian Renaissance and I'm teaching myself Italian as I go.

About time to quit the Annoying Day Job, methinks. I've too much to write.

Dave Hardy

Don't let your deal go down,
Registered
Reaction score
I've written stories (mostly shorts) set in the 16th century, Bronze Age Greece & Egypt, Texas in the 1850s, 1920s, and 21st century, Florida back in 1819 and 1856, the Barbary War of 1801-05, the Dutch East Indies (1850s), Dark Ages Britain & Scandinavia, Medieval Venice, Canada in the 1870s, the Caucasus (1850s), 14th century Mexico, and India c 140 BC.

I've come to a couple of conclusions:
1) I like the 1850s
2) I'm easily distracted
3) The art of writing is... Hey a book about mobsters in St Louis during Prohibition! Gotta go.

EngineerTiger

Writing HF Again, Thank God
Registered
Reaction score
Website
grayarmybrat.com
Due to the nature of the series, I'm having to step well out of my usual eras. It's interesting though and I'm enjoying the research.

Sunflowerrei

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.michelleathy.com
The first incarnation of my WIP was set in 1814, firmly in the British Regency. I've now set it back to 1800, so the Georgian era. It's not a drastic switch.

I tried to write a novel taking place during the English Reformation, including the Pilgrimage of Grace, but the story didn't work and I was going through Tudor fatigue anyway.

I'd like to write something about the Potato Famine as well, but I can't even think about that right now.

Raula

Registered
Reaction score
I stick firmly to the early seventeenth century when writing my novels. Extensive research into every facet of society of this time has finally led to what i believe is an authentic portrayal of this period. My research encompasses a large portion of my degree and about as much again in further research. So no, i would be cautious, but then i am someone who believes in historicals being rich with authentic detail. I do flirt with other eras for short stories, which is fun, but not too often

MmeGuillotine

Victorian Prostitute Re-enactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
madameguillotine.org.uk
I switch between eras to keep things fresh, to stop myself getting bored (which is no fun for the reader) and because I greedily love several historical eras and want to write about them all! I stick to English and French history as I've spent so long researching them but am starting to think that maybe it's time for a geographic change too - partially so I have an excuse to go to Italy on a 'research trip'. ;)

My first novel was about the childhood of Marie Antoinette and the second and third were set during the French Revolution. I'm now writing my fourth, which is set in seventeenth century London and Paris and is about the youngest sister of Charles II and researching my fifth, which is set during the Ripper murders in 1888 and a BIG change from my usual work both in style and content.

angeliz2k

never mind the shorty
Registered
Reaction score
Commonwealth of Virginia--it's for lovers
Website
www.elizabethhuhn.com
I switch between eras to keep things fresh, to stop myself getting bored (which is no fun for the reader) and because I greedily love several historical eras and want to write about them all! I stick to English and French history as I've spent so long researching them but am starting to think that maybe it's time for a geographic change too - partially so I have an excuse to go to Italy on a 'research trip'. ;)

My first novel was about the childhood of Marie Antoinette and the second and third were set during the French Revolution. I'm now writing my fourth, which is set in seventeenth century London and Paris and is about the youngest sister of Charles II and researching my fifth, which is set during the Ripper murders in 1888 and a BIG change from my usual work both in style and content.

Hm, sounds intriguing! That's Henriette/Henrietta, no? I've seen her pop up but never read a book devoted entirely to her.

Oh, to go to Italy! I was super lucky to be able to go to Paris for a few days and to see not only Versailles (where crucial parts of my story take place) but the street where my gal Nicole d'Oliva lived. Amazing.

Right now, I live in the DC area and am, conveniently, writing about a character born and raised in Washington City circa 1840. It was an intriguingly Wild-West type town back then. A highlight of my ten months here has been my trip to Arlington Cemetery and Arlington House, where Robert E. Lee lived until the Union decided, in a fit of irony and revenge, to plant the cemetery there so the Lees could never return.

MmeGuillotine

Victorian Prostitute Re-enactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
madameguillotine.org.uk
Hm, sounds intriguing! That's Henriette/Henrietta, no? I've seen her pop up but never read a book devoted entirely to her.

Oh, to go to Italy! I was super lucky to be able to go to Paris for a few days and to see not only Versailles (where crucial parts of my story take place) but the street where my gal Nicole d'Oliva lived. Amazing.

Right now, I live in the DC area and am, conveniently, writing about a character born and raised in Washington City circa 1840. It was an intriguingly Wild-West type town back then. A highlight of my ten months here has been my trip to Arlington Cemetery and Arlington House, where Robert E. Lee lived until the Union decided, in a fit of irony and revenge, to plant the cemetery there so the Lees could never return.

Yes, that's right - Henrietta Anne Stuart. :)

I go to Paris pretty much annually to do research for my books and blog but it's not too much of a trek seeing as I live in England. I go to Versailles every time as it's always changing right now as the restoration work carries on. I've had to postpone this year's trip until the autumn but have a massive list of places I need to visit for this book. :)

Oh that's fortuitous! That must be so fascinating - I've never been to the US and have always wanted to visit Washington and Salem among other places. I think it'll give such a fresh perspective on 17th and 18th century as I've been used to regarding it! :)

WriteStarfish

Registered
Reaction score
I write across different time periods. For me, that adds to the excitement. Usually, a character or sometimes a theme will enter my mind first. Then, I think - when would make this story shine best and then I think about what kinds of things I would like to find out more about. The researching is fascinating- it allows me to read about the things I've wanted to know more about that I've not yet had time to read. Of course, I've always had some basis through visits to historical sights or college class material etc as a starting point. I've never written about an era that I had no previous knowledge of. Rather, I just expand on what I know about. I've also written more than one time period into a book (and no, it's not time travel :)). My WIP features this.