Buy books by AWers

Welcome to the AbsoluteWrite Water Cooler! Please read The Newbie Guide To Absolute Write

Thread: [Publicist] OristinGlobal Productions / OristinGlobal Literary Agency

New Fish; Learning About Thick Skin june's Avatar

Question [Publicist] OristinGlobal Productions / OristinGlobal Literary Agency

Anyone heard of Oristin Global Lit? I found them on the firstwriter website. They want me to fill out a submission form, sign it and send it back along with a copy of my MS for consideration. Let me know!
    June

Your Genial Uncle Absolute Sage James D. Macdonald's Avatar
    http://www.agentresearch.com/

No results

http://www.agentquery.com/

No results

Preditors & Editors

Not listed

Their website makes it look like English isn't their first language, or perhaps that proofreading isn't in their skill set.

The sole book they're advertising (Code 419: House Arrest) is from iUniverse, a pay-to-play vanity POD.

Why are you even considering these guys?

Writer Beware Goddess Absolute Sage victoriastrauss's Avatar
    What Uncle Jim Said. That website is amateur to the max. They also appear to do publishing, which (leaving aside all questions of competence) is a major conflict of interest for a literary agency.

Firstwriter.com is not, repeat NOT a good place to do agent research. They either don't or don't know how to vet the agents and publishers they list. A lot of disreputable people are listed on that site.

Get a good print guide, or try AgentQuery instead.

- Victoria

Mostly Harmless SuperModerator CaoPaux's Avatar
    http://oristinglobal.com looks to be one of the latest generation of Google traps. It offers links to everything, but provides nothing of substance.

http://www.oristinglobal.com/staffmembers.htm
    ICAO
    ---------
    Achievers strive for excellence. Perfectionists drive themselves to extinction. -- A Grapple A Day
    I've never known any trouble that an hour's reading didn't assuage. -- Charles DeSecondat

II 2016: 2017:

New Fish; Learning About Thick Skin june's Avatar

Wink Thanks

Thanks for the info. I will steer clear of them.

Board Visitor
    This one is particularly amusing.

It's not just a publisher - it's a 'Multimedia & Advertising Giant' with an amateurish website. The only success-like thing they can the fact that 'Hollywood John' (the owner of the company) has vanity published and has 'plans on becoming a writer in the near future for a major magazine and a producer of a feature movie---Big Screen or Television' !

Mac

Oristin's spamming boards as well as "press release" sites. MacAllister saved one in Announcements, if you wanna go marvel at it. http://absolutewrite.com/forums/show...916#post489916
    ICAO
    ---------
    Achievers strive for excellence. Perfectionists drive themselves to extinction. -- A Grapple A Day
    I've never known any trouble that an hour's reading didn't assuage. -- Charles DeSecondat

someplace around here, anyone seen my keys?
    Awesome.

Hahahaha. It's just a picture of a website template!

Brilliant!

afac81a

Oristin Lit. Agency

Has anyone here had any deals with/or know about the Oristin Global Literary Agency?

Thanks in advance!

In the Yellow Woods
    Check out the photo of their US rep with her fur coat on as she poses seductively for the camera. It can be accessed through Similian's link. In nothing else, you'll get a good laugh. I think this is supposed to reassure folks that they're dealing with real professionals.

They're not even seasoned scammers. They're amateur chancers.
    I am returning this otherwise good typing paper to you because someone has printed gibberish all over it and put your name at the top.

Professor of English, Ohio University.

Pedantic Alert: The above is quotation #689 from Michael Moncur's (cynical) Quotations.

Fantastic website. It looks like something The Onion has put together.

The book-signing photo-journal thing made me laugh 'till it hurt. Hollywood John behind his desk, dressed like a televangelist while his wife/PR comptroller harangues unsuspecting passers-by into Jonesing over $15.95 for the opportunity to buy an autographed copy of "Code 419" that looks about the right size to sort out that uneven leg on the kitchen table you've been meaning to fix.

No, seriously. Kudos and best of luck to him. He's got moxie, that's for sure.

From the site:

"Be prepared to pay $500 administrative fee for postage, copying, faxes, special messenger fee, etc. when your manuscript is accepted for representation. No reading and evaluation fees. (New Writers only) This is not a fee for representation and its non- refundable. The fee is above and beyond our normal administrative fees and because there is no guarantee that your manuscript or screenplay will be sold, we elect to have you defray some of our additional costs as a new writer."

Meh. No thanks. Just browsing.
    My short film project:

afac81a

Thanks everyone!

Thanks everyone for your input. I definitely won't be going thru them!

Perhaps thankfully, Oristin Global Literary Agency/Productions did not last long.
    ICAO
    ---------