Pants on Fire

Jason

Ideas bounce around in my head
Registered
Reaction score
Since we're still waiting on responses from others, here's a new set about me:

When I was a child...

1. I was invited to listen to Condi Rice perform a private piano recital in her parents home for my parents and their three kids (me, my brother, and sister).
2. I was invited to watch my friends dad one Sunday - turns out my friends dad was Craig Morton, QB for the Denver Broncos
3. I was invited to attend the Presidential inauguration in DC because I had the best academic record in my school for that calendar year.

Cobalt Jade

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
#1. One of my cousins worked on John Kerry’s Presidential campaign.
#2. One of my cousins was a fireman.
#3. One of my cousins was a nun, but she left her order and became a lawyer.

Number 2?

1. I was invited to listen to Condi Rice perform a private piano recital in her parents home for my parents and their three kids (me, my brother, and sister).
2. I was invited to watch my friends dad one Sunday - turns out my friends dad was Craig Morton, QB for the Denver Broncos
3. I was invited to attend the Presidential inauguration in DC because I had the best academic record in my school for that calendar year.

This is a tough one. But I am going to go with #3.

Here's another set from me. It's a little different in that of these three mythical creatures, only two actually exist in folklore. One is a complete fabrication by me. Guessing only, no googling!

1. Ganjuwherry: a crane with a forked tongue and six wings.

2. Makara: an elephant with a fish's tail and fins.

3. Akhlut: a killer whale that can turn into a wolf when it climbs out of the water.

Nymtoc

Benefactor Member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Since we're still waiting on responses from others, here's a new set about me:

When I was a child...

I think #3 is the FIB!

Jason

Registered
Reaction score
Hmmm...don't know if I should be insulted that you both guessed #3 as the fib because you presume I wasn't smart enough for such an honor, or if the fact that an invitation to attend the inauguration on that basis was just too improbable to be true! LOL

IOW: You're both right - #3 was the lie. I learned about #1 just last week, my jaw hit the floor! :)

Here's another set from me. It's a little different in that of these three mythical creatures, only two actually exist in folklore. One is a complete fabrication by me. Guessing only, no googling!

1. Ganjuwherry: a crane with a forked tongue and six wings.

2. Makara: an elephant with a fish's tail and fins.

3. Akhlut: a killer whale that can turn into a wolf when it climbs out of the water.

Pure guess - #3 is the lie. A whale that morphs into a wolf? Yuh huh....okay! #eyeroll :)

Nymtoc

Benefactor Member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
When my own biography runs dry, I have a lot of relatives I can turn to...
:PartySmil

#1. One of my cousins worked on John Kerry’s Presidential campaign.
#2. One of my cousins was a fireman.
#3. One of my cousins was a nun, but she left her order and became a lawyer.

Hahaha! Nobody got this one right!

#2--One of my cousins was indeed a fireman. He died, allegedly as a result of his work, though the FD refused to admit that inconvenient (and potentially costly) fact.

#3--Strange as it may sound, one of my cousins did become a nun and remained one for nearly ten years, then realized she didn't have the "calling" and left her order, went through law school, passed the bar, and became a lawyer. For several years she was the attorney for a large metropolitan police union.

#1--THE LIE! None of my cousins worked on John Kerry's Presidential campaign. Some of my cousins, in fact, are far too conservative for that. (I like CBJason's suggestion that I had no cousins at all, but the truth is that, years ago, I counted them and realized that I had 33 first cousins! Some have since departed this world.)

Jason

Registered
Reaction score
Hahaha! Nobody got this one right!

#2--One of my cousins was indeed a fireman. He died, allegedly as a result of his work, though the FD refused to admit that inconvenient (and potentially costly) fact.

#3--Strange as it may sound, one of my cousins did become a nun and remained one for nearly ten years, then realized she didn't have the "calling" and left her order, went through law school, passed the bar, and became a lawyer. For several years she was the attorney for a large metropolitan police union.

#1--THE LIE! None of my cousins worked on John Kerry's Presidential campaign. Some of my cousins, in fact, are far too conservative for that. (I like CBJason's suggestion that I had no cousins at all, but the truth is that, years ago, I counted them and realized that I had 33 first cousins! Some have since departed this world.)

Hopefully you know I was only teasing you about the cousins thing... :)

At my last count 5 minutes ago (after reading your post), realized I have 21 cousins myself (13 by blood, 8 by marriage)...while not chump change by any means, a nod to the impressive count of 33! :)

Nymtoc

Benefactor Member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Since I did so well with the cousin thing, I'll try it again! :roll:

#1. One of my cousins was friendly with Michelle Obama before Obama was elected President.

#2. One of my cousins published a book on baby care.

#3. One of my cousins spent time in jail.

:TheWave:

M.S. Wiggins

"The Moving Finger writes..."
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I suck at this kinda sh guess-work stuff. My imagination kicks in and I can imagine how each one can be true, given the all of five seconds it takes for my mind to go there. That being said, my initial thoughts were to agree with Lillian on #1. I’m thinking you wouldn’t disclose this sort of information on a relative. #3: My thoughts are that there’s no way this is false, because who doesn’t have a relative who hasn’t spent time behind bars, even if only overnight? I’m also thinking #2 is true… although I can ‘imagine’ how it’s false in that it was not a cousin, or that it was not a baby care book.

↑... Sorry, like I said—my imagination!

Jason

Registered
Reaction score

#1. One of my cousins was friendly with Michelle Obama before Obama was elected President.

#3 is the lie

Three new ones:

My office currently has:

1. Three functioning computers and five monitors
2. Four digital phones all functioning
3. Four networking routers all functioning

It's also slightly sick that only one of these is a lie, and only so because I decremented the accurate number by 1!

Nymtoc

Benefactor Member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score

Well, a couple of wrong guesses, and a shifty sort of response from M.S. Wiggins :greenie

But once again, I fooled 'em all!

#1. True. One of my female cousins was friendly with Michelle Obama, though they knew each other only slightly. (I have a photo of the two of them together.)

#2. THE LIE! No cousin of mine ever wrote a baby book, as far as I know.

#3. True. But it was a long-lost cousin--so long-lost that I don't think we ever met--and he apparently got into a minor scrape many years ago. I've told you that at one time I counted up 33 first cousins, so there's no way you could figure out who that cousin was. Hey, you don't even know who I am!
:ROFL:

Last edited:

M.S. Wiggins

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
and a shifty sort of response from M.S. Wiggins :greenie

Smoke and mirrors... mirrors and smoke.;)
That's what the M.S. of M.S. Wiggins stands for. (←a lie, of course!)

Last edited:

M.S. Wiggins

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Three new ones:

My office currently has:

It's also slightly sick that only one of these is a lie, and only so because I decremented the accurate number by 1!

I'm going rogue: The preface is a lie. You have more than one office.

Nymtoc

Benefactor Member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
#3 is the lie

Three new ones:

My office currently has:

That last remark makes the whole thing impossible to solve--as if it weren't already impossible to solve. I'll say that #2 is the lie. There are probably FIVE digital phones all functioning in your office. :e2shrug:

shakeysix

blue eyed floozy
Registered
Reaction score
Website
shakey6wordsmith.webs.com
Okay, this is waaay over my head. I want to say that 4 routers is too many for 1 office but why make a claim that improbable unless it is a red herring? I'm going to say that the lie but only because it is about phones. --s6

Jason

Registered
Reaction score
Three computers with dual monitors would be six monitors...

#1 is the lie

Nymtoc

Benefactor Member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Oh, all right, since you all demand it :mob, I'll do another one:

#1. I got stuck in an elevator late at night in my building and used the "alarm" button to tap out SOS in Morse code for hours, but nobody came to help me. The next morning, neighbors said they heard the SOS but thought it was just some kids messing around.

#2. When I was born, my parents acquired a five-dollar gold piece and put it aside for me, thinking that, apart from its historic meaning and its beauty, it would gain in value over the years. Whenever we moved, a bag with the gold piece moved with us. This went on until I became an adult and found that the gold piece had disappeared.

#3. I am color blind.

shakeysix

blue eyed floozy
Registered
Reaction score
Website
I've been away from AW for a while--most of February. Here are three reasons for my absence. Only two are true but all three are plausible. It is okay to google.

#1: My baby sister (she turned 65 on the 17th) and I have spent the last 3 weekends floating, mudding, sponging, cutting, feathering, trimming and rolling.

#2: Speaking of rolling, I spent Monday morning stoned to the gills listening to CYSN, Van Morrison, The Kinks. The Gershwins, The Doors, Dinah Shore, James Taylor, Bob Dylan and Oscar Levant.

#3: I have been busy arguing with the USDA, to the point of hiring a lawyer. The Trump administration is demanding that we harvest, dry and bundle all ditchweed growing on our CRP ground and then haul the bales to the S.O.B. (State Office Building) in Topeka. Each bale is to be accompanied with 20-50 papers. Zig zag preferred. This is huge change in policy with very little warning. In past years we just sprayed ditchweed with potent herbicides. Now the Republican House is suddenly worried about the environment.

Last edited:

Nymtoc

Benefactor Member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I've been away from AW for a while--most of February. Here are three reasons for my absence. Only two are true but all three are plausible. It is okay to google.

#1: My baby sister (she turned 65 on the 17th) and I have spent the last 3 weekends floating, mudding, sponging, cutting, feathering, trimming and rolling.

#2: Speaking of rolling, I spent Monday morning stoned to the gills listening to CYSN, Van Morrison, The Kinks. The Gershwins, The Doors, Dinah Shore, James Taylor, Bob Dylan and Oscar Levant.

#3: I have been busy arguing with the USDA, to the point of hiring a lawyer. The Trump administration is demanding that we harvest, dry and bundle all ditchweed growing on our CRP ground and then haul the bales to the S.O.B. (State Office Building) in Topeka. Each bale is to be accompanied with 20-50 papers. Zig zag preferred. This is huge change in policy with very little warning. In past years we just sprayed ditchweed with potent herbicides. Now the Republican House is suddenly worried about the environment.

Lyin' Shakey--she's done it again!

#1 IS THE LIE! Your baby sister isn't 65. (Meanwhile, I'm sorry about what the USDA is doing to you. What can we expect with what's going on beside the Potomac? Each day brings a new horror, but I'm not sure if we're watching a comedy or a tragedy. :e2shrug: )

shakeysix

blue eyed floozy
Registered
Reaction score
Website
Ooops--sorry I have not been around lately to check on this, my baby sister and I have been renovating a room in our parent's 100+ year old house. We are expecting our toddler grandsons to sleep there this summer. The room was decorated by our mother for her five granddaughters in 1980 so naturally a reno was in order. Out with the sunbonnet girls and in with Biderman (toddlerese for Spider-Man) We had to scrape wallpaper, take down paneling, mud and tape drywall, paint walls and ceiling--a lot of ladder climbing and lifting for a 67 & 65 year old woman--my sister turned 65 on Feb. 17-- So number 1 is true.

#2 is also true--I had a major dental thingy on Monday the 20th of February--2 hours in the chair, stoned to the gills on nitrous and listening to my I-pod. Does the sound track surprise you? I think Steve Forbet is my youngest musician.

At 75$ a visit, nitrous is way more expensive than medical marijuana so I try to enjoy it when I can, even while my dentist is drilling away.

--which brings us to ditchweed-- the ag term for wild marijuana. We have several acres of ditchweed on our CRP ground. The State of Kansas sprays it for us, free of charge but this makes no sense because CRP is supposed to recreate a natural habitat and ditchweed is natural ground cover. Spraying anything with herbicide is NOT natutral. No matter how often they spray, it pops back every spring. Spraying it is expensive and unsound because the pheasants and critters love it (a couple of cousins also swear by it) but State Legislators have sadly declared war on ditchweed, which is, in the light of genetic advances in the past 40 years, comically weak anyawy. So # 3 is the lie. I thought Zig- zag papers would be a yuge clue. --s6

Last edited:

possiblerobot

Your friendly neighborhood robot
Registered
Reaction score
I'll try my hand at this lying game:
1. I have a slight accent due to a speech impediment from when I was younger
2. My hands are really rough because I almost never wear gloves in the winter
3. I'm the oldest of three children.

shakeysix

blue eyed floozy
Registered
Reaction score
Website
I will believe #3. I am also the oldest of three and it is no bed of roses. Entirely plausible to brag about it.
--
This leaves #2&#1. These are the claims that are almost impossible to verify since Possible is so new to AW. I did check his profile and see that he once almost had frostbite. I am guessing that anyone who almost had frostbite would be smart enough to always wear gloves in winter so I am calling #2 the lie--s6

possiblerobot

Your friendly neighborhood robot
Registered
Reaction score
Looks like I've got you.
1. True! I've been told I sound British, despite never leaving the U.S.
2. Also true! It's how I nearly got frostbite. I was lucky enough to"just" get some tissue damage that healed.
3. False! I'm the middle child

Last edited: