Pants on Fire

Robbert

Practical experience FTW
Registered
Reaction score
1. I don't think you served in the army, which makes the machine gun a likely candidate for an outrageous lie. On the other hand, you said, you once met some South American rebels...

2. Say, if music were your first love, why didn't you pursue it further? What's more, playing an instrument well is jolly hard work. Where would you've had the time to pull that one off??

3. Granted, they were dentists.

The piano is a hoax.

iLion

Why do I say these things?
Registered
Reaction score
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QvsQ9hYKq7c
Difficult choices, Nym. All feasible. However... I do wonder about the piano LIE!

If you were ever in the military - a common situation - firing such a weapon might be normal.
Two uncles as dentist? Why not?
But the piano story has the embellishment of "paying audiences", which if it were singular I'd say 'maybe'. But you make it plural, as in more than once - and that is just too hard to believe. :)

Nymtoc

Benefactor Member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
:roll:

Fooled ya both!!!

#3 is the lie. In reality, I had two great-uncles who were physicians, not dentists.

#1 I was in the US Army and fired lots of different weapons in training. I did not see combat.

#2 The piano is true. I have skills you didn't suspect. ;)

iLion

Registered
Reaction score
Well, you can't write.. why should be think you play piano?

Oops!! Wrong thread for the insults!! :D
Just kiddin', of course! I'm certain you are a superb writer AND piano player!

Nymtoc

Benefactor Member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I don't want you guys to think I'm claiming to be a virtuoso. I've played piano since I was five years old, and my playing before a paying audience was always as an accompanist. Pop stuff, not Beethoven. :)

:partyguy:

Last edited:

StephanieFox

Maybull the Bulldog
Registered
Reaction score
Is it my turn to lie?

1) I lived in Oregon for a little more than two years.

2) I have had a gun pointed at me in a hostile way.

3) My shoes size is 7 1/2.

Nymtoc

Benefactor Member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Okay, Steph, I'll take you on. :D

I believe you lived in Oregon for a little more than two years.

I believe you had a gun pointed at your in a hostile way.

Your unforgivable lie is #3. Your shoe size is not 7 1/2.

:e2woo:

The way we're developing this game--which I think is the best way to go--you can either answer me immediately, or you can wait for others to come up with their own conclusions, which may be different from mine.

Suit yourself. I'm glad you're playing. :)

Lavern08

Sit Down, and Shut Up!
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I think the Oregon thing is the lie.

Women always lie about their shoe size, so Steph is using reverse psychology on us. :D

#1. My name really is Lavern

#2. I have 4 brothers - no sisters

#3. I sing at weddings and funerals

Last edited:

Nymtoc

Benefactor Member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
#1. My name really is Lavern

#2. I have 4 brothers - no sisters

#3. I sing at weddings and funerals

Well, ding-dang! Lavern is very tricky.

#1 I have a hunch your name really is Lavern, partly because of the way you spell it, without the final "e." That seems genuine, so #1 is true.

#2 is of course, possible. Partly because you've shown us before that you are into sports--O.J. and Walt Frazier--I'm thinking you probably did grow up with 4 brothers. So #2 is also true.

#3 is the lie! You didn't sing with Chaka Khan, and you don't sing at weddings and funerals, either. You lie, Lavern!

:rolleyes

Nymtoc

Benefactor Member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Now that I have unmasked both Stephanie and Lavern, I shall proceed to lie again: :D

1. I sat next to a well-known Hollywood actor on a plane from New York to Los Angeles.

2. I sat in a hospital waiting room for an hour, unattended, bleeding from an artery the whole time.

3. I never eat watermelon.

Robbert

Practical experience FTW
Registered
Reaction score
I hope to detect three lies,

@Steph: You never lived in Oregon, it's a lie. My reasoning: In your profile it says 'I don't write fiction, because the truth is weird enough' hence, you had a gun pointed at you is true. As for your shoe size, 7 1/2 is also true because your profile reads ...most people don't know that I am shorter than they are.

@ Lavern: Your lie must be the four brothers. My reasoning: You are an active member of the church and state singing as your hobby, hence #3 singing at weddings and funerals is true. As for your real name, I agree with Nymtoc, it sounds rather genuine, so it's true.

@Nymtoc: Your unspectacular information about the watermelon is a lie. My reasoning: In order to make us believe the lie is behind one of the more sensational news (well-known Hollywood actor, and almost having bled to death), you deliberately opted for some trivia (watermelon) to divert attention to your two true statements.

iLion

Registered
Reaction score
Okay... while waiting for Nym's response, I'll lie. Does this mean I'll lie in waiting?

Ok... I'll just tell two lies for reasons I'll tell later.

1. I once laid in the sun by a pool in Caracas, next to Jane Mansfield.

2. I once dated the gorgeous sister of the only twins to ever appear on the front cover of the Sports Illustrated swim suit edition.

Nymtoc

Benefactor Member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
We still don't know which of Stephanie's and Lavern's statements were lies. :Huh:

And Robbert hasn't lied to us for a while (no more than usual, I mean).

I'll reveal my lie soon.

Meanwhile, I am pondering iLion's prevarication(s). Something about the sister of the cover twins doesn't smell right. I think it's a false lead.

iLion isn't old enough to have had much to do with Ms. Mansfield, but he might have lain next to her in Caracas as an infant. He has already told us that he moved around a lot as child because of his father's job.

Therefore, I'm going to say #1 is true.

#2 is a lie!

Last edited:

Nymtoc

Benefactor Member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
@Nymtoc: Your unspectacular information about the watermelon is a lie. My reasoning: In order to make us believe the lie is behind one of the more sensational news (well-known Hollywood actor, and almost having bled to death), you deliberately opted for some trivia (watermelon) to divert attention to your two true statements.

Sorry, Robbert, U R wrong!

My lie was #1. I have never sat next to a well-known actor on a plane.

The hospital story is true. :(
I do not eat watermelon. :D

Lavern08

Sit Down, and Shut Up!
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Nymmie & Robbert,

GOTCHA again!!! :hooray:

I do NOT have any brothers (that I know of) :Shrug:

My middle name is Lavern

I'm constantly asked to sing at funerals and weddings

Oh, and I don't think iLion is old enuf to have been around when Jayne Mansfield was either.

iLion

Registered
Reaction score
Well... mine was a big fat trick!

It was my first un-numbered statement that was a LIE ("I'll just tell two lies..."), because the next two were both true.

I was about 12 when I was tanning next to Mansfield.

Nymtoc

Benefactor Member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Nymmie & Robbert,

GOTCHA again!!! :hooray:

I do NOT have any brothers (that I know of) :Shrug:

My middle name is Lavern

I'm constantly asked to sing at funerals and weddings

Oh, and I don't think iLion is old enuf to have been around when Jayne Mansfield was either.

Well, ding-dang-dong! :D

iLion

Registered
Reaction score
Ok... I'll quit trying to bend the rules here. :)

1. I met a man who saw Poncho Villa many times.

2. My dad was once arrested for wearing his tank top undershirt in public.

3. I have played classical guitar for many years.

Nymtoc

Benefactor Member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Well... mine was a big fat trick!

It was my first un-numbered statement that was a LIE ("I'll just tell two lies..."), because the next two were both true.

I was about 12 when I was tanning next to Mansfield.

Tricksters must spend 33.3 minutes in the Penalty Box. Your 33.3 minutes start now, iLion!

:roll:

Nymtoc

Benefactor Member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
iLion is a very slippery character, but I will take on his latest challenge.

1. He did meet a man who saw Villa many times.
2. His dad was once arrested for wearing a tanktop in public.
3. The guitar is a lie! iLion doesn't know an E string from a G string! :ROFL:

Nymtoc

Benefactor Member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Now that I'm getting into the habit of prevaricating, here is another lie, buried within a couple of truths:

1. A relative of mine was the first female ever to play in the University of Southern California’s marching band.
2. I was an extra in The World According to Garp, in a scene in Bryant Park, behind the New York Public Library.
3. My grandfather staged cock fights.

:e2paperba

kellysaid

almost there
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.kellysaid.com
Oh Nym! I'm hoping #3 is the lie! :eek:

OK, I'll give it a go, 2 truths, 1 lie:

1. The name on my drivers license and birth certificate is Kelly Said.
2. This one time, when I was a kid visiting the San Diego zoo, I was lucky enough to have my picture taken with a grizzly bear.
3. This one time, when I was a kid visiting Universal Studios, Frankenstein scared me so bad that while my grandma was holding me during a fit of terror, I accidentally ripped her wig off.

Nymtoc

Benefactor Member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Since you've given us the pleasure of joining our Liars Club Kelly, I'll endeavor to unmask your unforgivable falsehood. :D

#1. True. Your name really is Kelly Said.
#2. True. You had your picture taken with a grizzly.
#3. LIE! You did not encounter Frankenstein and rip your grandma's wig off! (I don't want to visualize that.)

As for my lie, you are WRONG!

My lie is #2. I did almost appear as an unpaid extra in The World According to Garp. There was a crowd in Bryant Park, and I wandered into it, not knowing what was happening. When an AD told me to stand in a certain place, I realized what was up, and I left. It wasn't that I disliked the idea of being in a movie. It was that I saw all the real extras were wearing T-shirts and other summer clothes, so it was a warm-weather scene. In reality, it was a cold day, and I was wearing a winter jacket with a muffler around my neck. I didn't want to mess up their scene. Wasn't that nice of me?

Sorry to disappoint you, Kelly. My grandpa really did stage (illegal) cock fights. He was a character. :e2thud:

Lavern08

Sit Down, and Shut Up!
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
The Lie: I think Kelly Said is NOT her real name, but her pen name. ;)

Oh, and Nym, I guessed that your grandpa story was true. He really was quite a character...

...umm, as they say: The apple doesn't fall far from the tree.

kellysaid

almost there
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.kellysaid.com
Since you've given us the pleasure of joining our Liars Club Kelly, I'll endeavor to unmask your unforgivable falsehood. :D

#1. True. Your name really is Kelly Said.
#2. True. You had your picture taken with a grizzly.
#3. LIE! You did not encounter Frankenstein and rip your grandma's wig off! (I don't want to visualize that.)

As for my lie, you are WRONG!

My lie is #2. I did almost appear as an unpaid extra in The World According to Garp. There was a crowd in Bryant Park, and I wandered into it, not knowing what was happening. When an AD told me to stand in a certain place, I realized what was up, and I left. It wasn't that I disliked the idea of being in a movie. It was that I saw all the real extras were wearing T-shirts and other summer clothes, so it was a warm-weather scene. In reality, it was a cold day, and I was wearing a winter jacket with a muffler around my neck. I didn't want to mess up their scene. Wasn't that nice of me?

Sorry to disappoint you, Kelly. My grandpa really did stage (illegal) cock fights. He was a character. :e2thud:

hehehehe! Sorry Nym, I've never had my pic taken with a grizzly bear before - I thought it would make me look brave to say I had though!

I did, however, rip my grandma's wig off, :ROFL: the Frankenstein dude was standing there like a statue and grandma thought it would be funny to tell me to touch his face. I did. He went "RARGH!" and I freaked the heck out. While scrambling to get away, my windmilling arms yanked that wig off in front of a huge crowd of people. Yeah, that was the last time she and I went to Universal Studios together. hehe!

And don't we all have characters in our family tree ;)

I'll let someone else have a go, just because I won't be able to check back as quick this evening --- but I'll be back tomorrow, you lying liars! hehehehee!