Pants on Fire

Robbert

Practical experience FTW
Registered
Reaction score
Since breaking an arm, as well as learning to cook spaghetti are ordinary features (...read, something you could have 'accomplished'), I go for #3: Kidnapping is way over the top.

1. My car was once stolen, but the thieves were arrested because they crashed into a lorry.
2. I'm a teetotaller.
3. While in primary school, ...I rode downhill, ...flew over the handle bar and broke an arm and a leg.

Last edited:

Nymtoc

Benefactor Member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Welcome to the Liars Club, Robbert! :poke:

But you are wrong!

The lie is #1. I did not break my arm playing indoor football. I broke my nose.

I did learn how to cook spaghetti from an Italian film director.

Elizabeth Smart--the Utah girl who was kidnapped in 2002 by a religious nut and found alive nine months later--is a relative of mine by marriage.

As for your prevarication:
It is #2. You have been known to have a pint of ale from time to time. ;)

Nymtoc

Benefactor Member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Hey-ho, according to the rules I made up, it's my turn again. ;)

So which is the unforgivable lie this time?

1. My grandfather used to stage cock fights.
2. I was mugged during a visit to Chicago.
3. I went snorkeling in Crater Lake, Oregon, a body of water that is forbidden to swimmers.

StephanieFox

Maybull the Bulldog
Registered
Reaction score
I don't think you went snorkeling in Crater Lake. It's not a good snorkeling lake, if you went snorkeling, you probably did it at night and that's not when you snorkel and Crater Lake is really cold. I don't think you like cold water.

Drachen Jager

Professor of applied misanthropy
Registered
Reaction score
Don't have time for the full thing, just dropped by to say wrong again Nymtoc! Got you twice in a row now. It was #1, I've only been through one agent. I actually haven't seen that travesty that is Star Wars episode 3. I was disappointed with prequel #1, thought #2 was a complete waste of time and money, so never bothered with the third.

Nymtoc

Benefactor Member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
D.J. got me again!

But StephanieFox is wrong! I did go snorkeling in Crater Lake. The lie is that I was mugged in Chicago. I've never been in Chicago.

Technically, it is either D.J.'s or Stephanie's or Robbert's turn now. D.J. says he doesn't have time for the full Monty, so how about giving us a lie, Steph or Robbert?

If they don't want to play, someone else can come in and try to fool us.

Is there a dissimulator in the house?

:e2seesaw:

Lavern08

Sit Down, and Shut Up!
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
#3. Was the lie - I do NOT have any tattoos :D

As for #1. - It's a long story about being with the wrong people, in the wrong place and at the wrong time...

And #2. Is absolutely true - I searched and searched until I found my Mother...

...Hmmm,

Sounds interesting doesn't it? Maybe I should write a book? Oh wait! I am writing a book about it. :tongue

Nymtoc

Benefactor Member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
1. I was a Boy Scout

2. As a kid, I fell and hit my head against a rusty nail, which went deeply into my forehead. (Comments about this will not be welcomed.)

3. I can speak some Russian.

:e2woo:

Robbert

Practical experience FTW
Registered
Reaction score
What makes it difficult to decide is the weak terminology 'speak some Russian'. Boy Scout by all means, yes. The rusty nail is real because of the extra-comment in the brackets, like a giveaway. I go for ...you don't speak any Russian!

You, Nymtoc, were wrong. The lie was the one with the broken arm & leg.

1. I never owned a telly.

2. I was once held at gunpoint.

3. I never showed up at the ballot box.

Nymtoc

Benefactor Member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Robbert, you are an expert. You're right. I don't speak a word of Russian. (I knew my extra comment about the nail in the head was a giveaway, but I couldn't resist. :D)

Now, as to your latest prevarication, it's hard to decide. I do believe you were once held up at gunpoint, so that eliminates #2. I find it hard to believe that you never vote, so that eliminates #3.

I am left with #1. It's a lie. You have owned a telly.

Nymtoc

Benefactor Member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I shall try to lie more convincingly than the last time...:rolleyes

1. My first car was a Ford.

2. I am distantly related to a former member of the US Supreme Court.

3. I once had a male cat called Alice.

Robbert

Practical experience FTW
Registered
Reaction score
Your lie: Well, Boy Scouts have dogs, not cats, but being a city dweller puts a cat within reasonable likelihood. Kidnapping and some family member in the Supreme Court could well be tarred with the same brush. Thus, your first car wasn't a Ford!

Luckily, I have never been held at gunpoint. I consider myself even more lucky to have never owned a **** television, so you werewrong.

1. At the tender age of thirteen I was local tennis champ.
2. At the tender age of thirteen I was smoking ten rollies a day.
3. At the tender age of thirteen I had a pet rabbit.

Last edited:

Nymtoc

Benefactor Member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Sorry, Robbert. My first car was indeed a Ford. I did have a male cat called Alice. We got him as a newborn kitten and thought he was female. As he grew and we discovered the truth, we continued to call him "Alice."

#2 was the lie. I am not related to anyone who was ever on the Supreme Court. If I were related to one of those...but that's another story. :D

Your next statements are very difficult. Local tennis champ at 13? It's possible, especially in a smaller community. Smoking 10 rollies a day? That doesn't sound like you, Robbert, but you might have been doing that as a young teenager. Having a pet rabbit at 13? It's possible.

I will say that #2 is a lie. You did not smoke 10 rollies a day at age 13. (Five, perhaps, but no more. :ROFL:)

Nymtoc

Benefactor Member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Just how easy is it to convince people of a lie? I'm finding out. :roll:

1. I have worked as a driving instructor

2. I have worked as a stagehand

3. I have worked in a bakery

Robbert

Practical experience FTW
Registered
Reaction score
Congrats, I didn't smoke when I was thirteen.

Having worked as a stagehand / in a bakery sound both plausible. As for the driving instructor, this must be the lie: it takes time to become a qualified instructor, you'll also want to be of a certain age, proof of no-claims bonus etc.. Can I put a fiver on this one?

1. I once ate crocodile meat.
2. I regularly dream that I rob a bank.
3. I had a chat with David Bowie in 1986 (Spider Tour).

Nymtoc

Benefactor Member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Another miss, Robbert! :ROFL:

I worked as a driving instructor for a short time when I was in my 20s. All I needed was a valid driver's license and a clean record. The funniest thing that happened was that the car (belonging to the driving school) ran out of gas petrol on a dark street while I was trying to teach a young woman to drive. She thought I was doing a number on her and had faked the "out of fuel" routine for obvious reasons, It took a lot of work to convince her that the tank really was empty. :D

I worked as a stagehand for several years in community theater. It was a lot of fun.

#3 was the lie. I have never worked in a bakery.

:e2woo:

Now, as for your shameless prevarication:

You did eat crocodile meat.
You did chat with David Bowie
#2 is the lie. You do not regularly dream about robbing a bank.

Nymtoc

Benefactor Member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
See if you can spot my next atrocious falsehood. :banana:

I swam within 100 feet of a shark

I took tap dancing lessons

I ate cat stew

Robbert

Practical experience FTW
Registered
Reaction score
You got it wrong.

I never had a chat with Bowie. Crocodile meat tastes like an in-between of, well, fish and meat. The reoccurring dream about robbing the bank is in fact a nightmare, ...I'm on the run, the authorities are closing in on me, convicted, sentenced, shame.

I believe you once swam close to a shark, a tiny one, though. Having had a cat and coming back home after a pub-crawl makes cat stew sound like the obvious choice, yummie. If you'd written 'step dance', yes. But you never took tap dancing lessons.

Edit (because for some reason I read 'table dance' in the OP)
Okay, yes, you took tap dancing lessons. You have never been anywhere near a shark--LIE.

Last edited:

Nymtoc

Benefactor Member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
You are right, Robbert! :Trophy:

I never never been near a shark.

I took tap dancing lessons as a small child.

The cat stew--well, I did not know know it was cat until after I had eaten it, at which point I nearly vomited. It was in the restaurant of a dirt-cheap hotel in Spain. The stew tasted odd, and we asked someone in the kitchen what was in it. "Gato" was the response. I never would have eaten such a meal knowingly. :e2cat:

Nymtoc

Benefactor Member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
U R up, if you wanna B, iLion.

It's probably confusing, but I'm trying to make it clear that ANYONE can play, any time. If we sit around waiting for the previous player to answer, things would move much too slowly.

As a matter of fact, two or more people can answer the same truth-or-lie post. I might think that Robbert's #2 is a lie, and you might think his #3 is a lie. We can both post our guesses.

Let's try to make this as open and free-wheeling as possible.

:e2seesaw:

iLion

Why do I say these things?
Registered
Reaction score
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QvsQ9hYKq7c
Hoping I haven't mis-read this one... looks like we need a fresh set of lies. :) So...

1. I attended 10 different private schools, some of them multiple times, by the time I graduated from high school.

2. The American high school I attended included lessons and practice on how to silently sneak up on someone, kill them quietly, and escape undetected.

3. I speak four languages fluently.

Nymtoc

Benefactor Member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
They are ALL lies! :banana:

Dagnabbit, iLion, you've made things very difficult:

Ten private schools sounds really excessive.
Learning to sneak up and kill is believable, since it might have been part of martial-arts training.
Four languages fluently? I can believe you may know four languages. It's the fluent part that's hard to swallow.

So I'm going to say #3 is a lie. You don't speak four languages fluently.

J'espère que je ne me trompe pas.
Ich hoffe, ich habe keinen Fehler gemacht.
Espero no haber cometido un error.
我希望我沒有錯

iLion

Why do I say these things?
Registered
Reaction score
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QvsQ9hYKq7c
hahahaa... I laugh! But, alas, not because you err. You are right... I do NOT speak four languages fluently.

That was good Nym. I thought I'd get away with that one, because after all, there are many people who are fluent in four or more.

1. The schools are true enough.. my dad was an oil man and we moved to foreign places many times.

2. The high school that taught murderous behavior was a military school that took the military part very seriously. Sewanee Mil. Acad., one of the oldest prep schools in the country, but now defunct.

3. I speak only English and Spanish. If spoken at normal to slow speeds, I well understand more than four languages, but nothing remotely close to fluent. (English, Spanish, French, Italian, German, Portuguese... hey, can I count Pig Latin?)

Nymtoc

Benefactor Member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
You could count Pig Latin, iLion, but how fluent are you?
:ROFL:

I have fired a .50 caliber machine gun.

I have played piano for paying audiences.

Two of my great-uncles were dentists.