Pants on Fire

Mary Mitchell

Go down road, go pub.
Registered
Reaction score
Then you must LURVE Oktoberfest! (As do I, although one year hubby and I loved the massed pipe band in the Oktoberfest parade so much we marched with it to the end of the parade route, figured we'd experienced the best kick we were going to get out of it, abandoned the parade and went for hot chocolate.)

Last edited:

Nymtoc

Benefactor Member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Here's a darker set of statements to contemplate. :e2bummed:

1. One of my cousins was killed in a plane crash.
2. Two of my cousins were killed in traffic accidents.
3. Three of my cousins were held up by someone with a weapon (one knife, two guns).

Last edited:

M.S. Wiggins

"The Moving Finger writes..."
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I'm guessing #2 is the lie. (Which means #3 or #1 is probably the lie!)

Having just one family member die in car crash is horrible. Two? Damn, that's rough. (My condolences if #2 is a fact.)

Nymtoc

Benefactor Member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Mary is correct! The lie is #3.

The other two statements, sadly, are true. :gone:

Cobalt Jade

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Here's some from me:

1. My older sister appeared in a YouTube video that went viral.

2. My dog peed in the lobby of my workplace.

3. I was once detained for 5 hours at the Canadian border near Blaine.

Nymtoc

Benefactor Member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
...trying to sniff out the lie...

I think the LIE IS #2, the peeing dog.My reasoning is that since it was your dog, you would have trained it better than that. However, the other two are certainly plausible.

#1 So many things go viral these days, there's no reason your sister might not have been in a viral video.

#3 There's construction at the Blaine crossing, which has been slowing up traffic for some time.

Then again, I could be wrong...:ROFL:

M.S. Wiggins

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
#3 is the lie. I've no idea why I zeroed on it, other than there seemed an air of falseness surrounding a five hour stint of being detained by Canadian border patrol!

Mary Mitchell

Go down road, go pub.
Registered
Reaction score
Well, we apparently do not have a consensus. I'm thinking #1 is the lie. Because I am unfortunately familiar with the "nervous peeing" thing in dogs. And nobody said Canadians wouldn't detain you for 5 hours--just that they'd say "Sorry" afterwards.

Cobalt Jade

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
1. My older sister appeared in a YouTube video that went viral.

TRUE! It caused a minor scandal in the family. I am guessing her youngest daughter, the only member who will still deal with her, has had it since scrubbed from the internets, but one or two sites still have it accessible.

2. My dog peed in the lobby of my workplace.

TRUE! My boyfriend had brought her in to visit me and they stayed longer than anticipated.

3. I was once detained for 5 hours at the Canadian border near Blaine.

FALSE! I was never detained anywhere.

porlock

Registered
Reaction score
I suppose a new guy can play:

1. I once recited a poem before a large audience which included a poet laureate.
2. I recently got a $633 water bill.
3. My cousin graduated with honors from Baylor.

Nymtoc

Benefactor Member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Well........they all seem plausible.

I'll bite. I'll say #1 is the lie. You recited a poem before a large audience--but no poet laureate. :rolleyes

Mary Mitchell

Go down road, go pub.
Registered
Reaction score
Since I personally have no clue where any of my cousins went to school, or how well (or not) they did at it (yeah, we're close that way), I'm going to guess #3 is the lie.

M.S. Wiggins

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I suppose a new guy can play:

1. I once recited a poem before a large audience which included a poet laureate.
2. I recently got a $633 water bill.
3. My cousin graduated with honors from Baylor.

$633 for water? No way! #2 is a lie, unless you're in arrears... that, or your neighbors are pilfering.

porlock

Registered
Reaction score
Mary Mitchell won! #3 is the lie, no family member ever went to Baylor. The water bill was a bad leak I didn't know about (part was previous month). 1999, Oklahoma Writer's conference, I recited one of my poems to the main gathering and the state laureate was in attendance (I got polite applause).

Nymtoc

Benefactor Member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Nice job for your first effort, Porlock!

Now here are three more statements from one who always tells the truth :e2bouncey

1. I used to work in a drugstore.

2. I used to work in a clothing store.

3. I used to work in a gas station.

Mary Mitchell

Go down road, go pub.
Registered
Reaction score
They all sound plausible (although you've never mentioned jail time, so exposure to the goodies in a drugstore seems least likely.) However, I'm basing my answer strictly on statistics. I'm thinking the job turnover rate at drugstores is less than at clothing stores or gas stations, meaning that job openings come available more often at the latter two. Therefore it is more likely for you to have found jobs available at clothing stores and gas stations. Therefore #1 is the lie.

Cobalt Jade

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I think it's #3, used to work in a gas station, because no one in their right mind would want to work in a gas station.

Nymtoc

Benefactor Member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
SHAKEY GOT IT!

The Lie is $2! I never worked in a clothing store.

(I agree that, if this were someone else's puzzle, I would find all three statements plausible and would pretty much have to guess. However, Mary Mitchell and Cobalt Jade both came up with sound reasoning. So they get complimentary prizes--tickets to my latest exhibition of bubble gum wrappers, dates to be announced.)

:PartySmil

Cobalt Jade

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Here's another group of three from me.

1. While hiking on Mt. Adams, I glimpsed a bigfoot running over a ridge.

2. I made two uncredited TV appearances.

3. I hate the taste of cola drinks and would rather go thirsty than drink a Coke or a Pepsi.

Nymtoc

Benefactor Member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Easy-peasy! The lie is #1!

#2 People make all kinds of uncredited TV appearances. So this is very believable.

#3 Coke/Pepsi. This has got to be true, because I'm the same way!

Bloopographer

Registered
Reaction score
Having never told a single lie in all my life, I'm not sure I'll be any good at this game. I mean, I've seen it done. And it looks real easy. So I'm confident I can do it. And well. Because I've been lying my whole life, and I've never been caught. :hooray:

1. I was once forced to kick out a door panel to escape a room I was trapped in.

2. I was once harassed by a man who had picked me up hitchhiking.

3. I once pulled onto a busy street on the wrong side of the median, which I mistook for the sidewalk.

Mary Mitchell

Go down road, go pub.
Registered
Reaction score
Re Cobalt Jade:
#1 is so obviously questionable, I can only think you included it because you think it's true (although it really is a lie, whether you intended it or not). I'm saying #3 is the lie, because surely there can't be more than one of you who feels that way, and the slot has already been apparently filled by Nymtoc.

Re Bloopographer:
I recognize both #2 and #3 from my own life, so #1 is the lie. (Besides, one door panel of the sort I'm picturing might let my cat out of the room to go summon help (sure), but I'd still be stuck in there.)

Last edited:

Bloopographer

Registered
Reaction score
Well. I'm better at this than I thought. I even stumped my own husband! (He (incorrectly) guessed #2.)

1. True. The room in which I was imprisoned was a bedroom in an old farmhouse. Terrible experience. On the day of my melodramatic escape, I'd come to and found I was alone. Tried the door, but it wouldn't open. It wouldn't open. I thought about going out the window, but it was two floors up with no soft landing. And I knew I didn't have much time before... well, I had to pee. So I busted my way out. (The doors—and their hardware—were original. And finicky. So the bedroom door was always kept open. The culprit who closed it, locking me in, has yet to fess up. (It was me.))

2. True. He lectured me non-stop about how dangerous it was for a woman to hitchhike and shouldn't I be in school and bla bla bla. Turns out he was right, though, 'cause a few months later... Ah, story for another day.

3. False. I did it twice. Twice.

Part marks to Mary for mentioning a cat in connection with #1—the reason I closed the door was because one of the cats, impatient for breakfast, was biting my bigf—uh, feet.

Last edited: