Pants on Fire

Mary Mitchell

Go down road, go pub.
Registered
Reaction score
Okay, here goes.

1. When I was singing along with the piano player at the local bar, I was "discovered" by the local musical society and invited to join.

2. I once had art displayed in the juried exhibit at the Canadian National Exhibition (which, for my American friends, isn't restricted to art--it's like a ginormous fair, with art exhibits, agricultural exhibits, sand and butter sculptures, automotive exhibits, fortune tellers, animals, and on and on...)

3. I and my horse twice came first in the barrel racing competition at the Milverton fall fair.

Bloopographer

Registered
Reaction score
Mmm... I'm stuck on #3. On the one hand, I remember you mentioned something about cattle earlier, so the barrel racing fits with that, but..... you also mentioned you had difficulty riding a bike, or learning to ride a bike. Granted, riding a horse is easier in some respects—it keeps its own balance, for one (usually o_O)—barrel racing..... well, I've never done it, but I think riding a bike would be child's play in comparison. Unless..... you were already accustomed to riding horses when you first attempted to ride a bike and had difficulty adjusting to the up-down pedal action. Plus, the handlebars for steering.

Okay, I'm going to exclude #3.

#2 seems plausible. (I've been to the CNE many a time and have known a number of people who have had exhibitions there.)

That leaves #1. Which I'm certain is the lie. I think. Yeah, #1.

Cobalt Jade

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
1. While hiking on Mt. Adams, I glimpsed a bigfoot running over a ridge. LIE! Though I wish I had...

2. I made two uncredited TV appearances. True. Both of them on The Northwest's Most Wanted, a crime show.

3. I hate the taste of cola drinks and would rather go thirsty than drink a Coke or a Pepsi. True. I hate Coke.

As for Mary Mitchell's three... I am going to say #3 was the lie, just because it has that air of wish fulfillment to it.

Nymtoc

Benefactor Member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Okay, here goes.

1. When I was singing along with the piano player at the local bar, I was "discovered" by the local musical society and invited to join.

2. I once had art displayed in the juried exhibit at the Canadian National Exhibition (which, for my American friends, isn't restricted to art--it's like a ginormous fair, with art exhibits, agricultural exhibits, sand and butter sculptures, automotive exhibits, fortune tellers, animals, and on and on...)

3. I and my horse twice came first in the barrel racing competition at the Milverton fall fair.

That barrel-racing thing sounds suspicious, but Mary has told us she's adept at certain physical things. I'm going to risk it and say that the barrel-racing is true. I think the lie is #1, the singing discovery. :Guitar:

Last edited:

Mary Mitchell

Go down road, go pub.
Registered
Reaction score
Bloopy and Nymtoc--you should have followed your first instincts. Not only am I uncoordinated; I'm also afraid of heights--and, yes, the back of a horse qualifies as a height. Love horsies, but I'll feed them apples and pet their velvety noses while standing firmly on the ground, thank you.

So, Cobalt Jade got it right--#3 is the lie! (It was actually my fearless daughter who won the barrel racing on her trusty palomino.)

I was invited to join the local musical society when they heard me singing "Summertime" to the piano guy at the bar, but I need precisely the right number of drinks to sound any good. Stone sober, I can't relax my throat enough to perform. But too many drinks and I need to shut up for fear I'll think I sound better than I do. Maintaining a specific level of inebriation seemed like a precarious thing to build a "career" on, so I declined.

And I had art exhibited at the CNE, but it was in high school. Once I was out of school, real life took over and the art became a sporadic hobby.

Nymtoc

Benefactor Member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Mary caught me. I wonder if I'll catch anyone with this:

1. I have never been in Fargo, ND.

2. I have never participated in a hotdog-eating contest.

3. I have never dissected a cat.

:greenie

Last edited:

Bloopographer

Registered
Reaction score
Well, obviously you've never been to Fargo—far too unfashionable.

And no one has ever dissected a cat. They're immortal. No matter how often one prays tonight will be the night the coyotes finally get them, it never happens. Hence: The cat comes back the very next day. Nine lives. And so on. They just won't don't die.

Which means you must have participated in a hotdog eating contest. So #2 is the lie.

(Did you win?)

Pony.

Aspiring supervillain
Registered
Reaction score
I'll give this a shot;

1, I once ran into a burning house to rescue a child.

2, I was once shot in the leg while repoing a Mustang GT.

3, One of my paintings is hanging in a museum in Indiana.

Bloopographer

Registered
Reaction score
Hm. I'd really like to believe #1 is true, however... it doesn't seem very likely. I mean, houses are fiery-death traps, totally unsafe and filled to the brim with all kinds of highly flammable stuff, but, luckily, people don't spend much time in them. So, even if you happened to be passing by as one was burning down, the chances of there being a child inside are slim—they'd be at day care or school or the mall or the movie theater, the hockey rink or the beach or roaming the streets.

No,
#1 is a lie. I'm sure of it.

Nymtoc

Benefactor Member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I'll give this a shot;

1, I once ran into a burning house to rescue a child.

2, I was once shot in the leg while repoing a Mustang GT.

3, One of my paintings is hanging in a museum in Indiana.

I agree with Bloop. The burning house story is a tad too good to be true. Therefore, #1 is a lie! :flamethrower

Last edited:

Cobalt Jade

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Hmm, I think #1 is true, because it very well could have been your child.

#3 also, I am sure there are a lot of museums in Indiana with all sorts of art.

So that leaves #2 which I am calling a lie. Seems too much like a zany movie plot.

Nymtoc

Benefactor Member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score

I've only gotten one vote on this. I'll wait a bit longer, but if no more contestants appear, I'll reveal whether my solitary voter (Bloopy) was right or wrong.:e2coffee:

Pony.

Aspiring supervillain
Registered
Reaction score
I agree with Bloop. The burning house story is a tad too good to be true. Therefore, #1 is a lie! :flamethrower

1 is true. New years eve 1993, my brother in law and I busted in the front door and scared two kids right out the back. They didn't even know the house was on fire till they got outside. They just thought we were breaking in.

2 is true. It was a court ordered repo. He lost the car in a divorce and refused to turn it over to his ex, so the court granted us the paper(us being the shop I worked for). We found the car at his mother's home. I had the car hooked up to my tow truck and just about ready to go and a little old lady in a bath robe and pink fuzzy slippers yells out "You aint taking my son's car" and let off a bunch of shots from a .25 pistol. Three shots hit my truck; one in the passenger door, and two in the bed. One skipped on the pavement under the truck and caught me in the calf. Very minor wound-barely broke the skin, but it hurt like hell.

3 is the lie. I have no painting in any museum anywhere.

Pony.

Aspiring supervillain
Registered
Reaction score

I'm going to say number 2. The FDA has an acceptable amount of rodant hairs and insect parts allowed in hotdogs.

Nymtoc

Benefactor Member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score

Bloopographer and Pony both picked #2. Cobalt Jade picked #1.

Naturally, they are all WRONG!!!

The lie is #3
: I HAVE dissected a cat. Before animal-rights activists march to my house, drag me outside and do unspeakable things to my body, let me explain: In my first year in college, I seriously considered going into medicine. As a consequence, I chose as an elective an introductory course in vertebrate anatomy. We worked in a lab, where we did several practical exercises. First, we dealt with a frog's beating heart. Toward the end of the course we broke into pairs, and each pair was given a dead cat. For several weeks, my partner and I worked on that cat, dissecting it bit by bit and learning about all the internal organs and veins and arteries and so forth, which of course have obvious analogues in humans.

If I have offended any cat lovers among you, I apologize. :e2cat:

Bloopographer

Registered
Reaction score
Wow, lot of awesome, awesome liars in this thread. :fistpump

So-o... ... you didn't win??

My turn:

*singing*
One of these things is not like the others. One of these things just doesn't belong.

1. I was an Honour Roll student.

2. I married my high school sweetheart.

3. Yesterday afternoon, I mopped up a pool of blood.

Pony.

Aspiring supervillain
Registered
Reaction score
I flipped a coin and chose #1. I was never on the honor roll either. I came close once, but never made it.

Nymtoc

Benefactor Member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Wow, lot of awesome, awesome liars in this thread. :fistpump

So-o... ... you didn't win??

My turn:

*singing*
One of these things is not like the others. One of these things just doesn't belong.

I say #3 is a lie. What leads me to that conclsuion is the word "pool"--sounds like a lot of blood. We all get cuts and scratches and find ourselves wiping up a little blood, but unless Bloopy works as a butcher (or has committed an unspeakable crime :sword )

I don't think he's been mopping up pools of the stuff!

Last edited:

Cobalt Jade

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I will # 2, married a high school sweetheart. That's pretty rare.

Bloopographer

Registered
Reaction score
First things first... I'd like to know where Pony got a three-sided coin.

Second things second... I suspect Nymtoc has been using the Adapted for Television Dictionary. (Comes with a lifetime supply of :popcorn:)
For shame! According to the New Oxford American Dictionary: "Pool: a small, shallow patch of liquid lying on a surface." :)wag:)

Third things third... Cobalt Jade
rocks at this game!!

1. True. And a teacher's pet. Before I dropped out after failing OAC English. (An F. I got an F.)

False. I married some guy I picked up in a bar. (Reason: He had a really cool name and I wanted it.) (And scored it! :Trophy:) (Although, ironically, it took months to get into the habit of signing with my cool new name. Which raised a few eyebrows at the bank, let me tell you.)

True. One of the cats killed a chipmunk and, since the kitchen floor was clean enough to eat off of, decided to do just that. (Yes, it was gross. Pools, drops and smears of blood all over the place!)

Pony.

Aspiring supervillain
Registered
Reaction score
Heres a new one...

I drive a Dodge Caliber

I drive a Ford Focus

I drive a Chevy Cobalt

Nymtoc

Benefactor Member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Oh, yeah? Well, I drive a Rolls Royce. :roll:

I have no idea what car Pony drives. I'll take a guess and say the lie is the Ford Focus.

Last edited:

Bloopographer

Registered
Reaction score
Are any of those tow trucks?

:Shrug:

Um... I'll say
#Dodge Caliber is the lie.

(Reason: it's the only one without matching initials.)

Nymtoc

Benefactor Member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Just musing...

In this game, of course, ONE of the statements is a lie. The other two are TRUE. So, whichever car is the lie, Pony must be driving BOTH of the other cars.

Hmmmm. :Wha: