• It depends

Votes: 21 13.4%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

RobJ

Banned
Reaction score
My intention in creating this thread is to poll members to see whether their reading habits are inline with the oft stated "A lot of readers skip prologues".

There have been many prologue threads and a fair number have been closed by the mods after the discussion became heated. I'd like to avoid that happening here, so I'm respectfully asking that you refrain from general prologue discussion in this thread, and that if unacceptable posts are made the moderators consider removing posts rather than closing the thread. Well, we live in hope.

So there you have it. If you usually skip prologues, please select that poll option. If you usually read prologues, please select that poll option. If you sometimes skip/read depending on some factor or another, please select that option. If you don't fit into any of those categories, this poll is not for you.

Thanks in advance.

jeffo20

Tyrant King
Registered
Reaction score
Website
doubtingwriter.blogspot.com
I just saw someone in a thread today say, "Most readers skip prologues" and I gritted my teeth and sat on my fingers until I could reply to the main point of the thread (which was not about prologues) without asking about their scientific survey or being snarky (like, 'just because YOU skip prologues....'). So I'll be interested in seeing what people have to say here.

[edit]Oh, yeah, and I always read prologues.

Nymtoc

Benefactor Member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I have to put in my two-cents worth. I checked "I usually read prologues," but I often read them (skim them) quickly.

:animal

year90ninezero

following a secret path
Registered
Reaction score
I'd never heard of someone not reading a prologue until I came here. I haven't heard about it since.

Mr Flibble

They've been very bad, Mr Flibble
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
We couldn't possibly do that. Who'd clear up the m
Website
francisknightbooks.co.uk
I clicked I read prologues

Up until they realise themselves as 'here is a potted version of the history if the last two thousand years' in which case I put the (usually quite old) book down. I haven't seen that sort of prologue in a modern book for some time, and I usually like the ones I see now (that is, a scene that relates to/is part of the story, just separated in time/place).

heza

Registered
Reaction score
If it looks like the prologue is warranted or short, I read it. If it's long, I'll start skimming. If it starts to look like I can survive without the information, I'll skip the rest of it... perhaps coming back later to read it again if I suspect I really did miss something of note. (But then, I'm annoyed that the author didn't just put that information where I needed it.)

WildScribe

Slave to the Wordcount
Poetry Book Collaborator
Registered
Reaction score
I clicked I read prologues

Up until they realise themselves as 'here is a potted version of the history if the last two thousand years' in which case I put the (usually quite old) book down. I haven't seen that sort of prologue in a modern book for some time, and I usually like the ones I see now (that is, a scene that relates to/is part of the story, just separated in time/place).

This, mostly.

lorna_w

Hybrid Grump
Registered
Reaction score
I read a lot of mysteries, and the prologue is almost always the murder, sometimes from the victim's POV, sometimes the murderer's. It's usually fun in a bloody sort of way.

I read everything (until I grow bored, if applicable) but have been known to skim over long static descriptions. I read footnotes. I read endnotes. I read about the freakin' typeface! "This book was set in new hemi-Garamond blah blah blah invented by some dull guy who is dust now." I'm not sure that has ever added anything to my life, but I can't help myself.

meowzbark

Registered
Reaction score
I always read prologues, but I might not read it until after the first chapter or two. Same with maps. I'll read them after I get hooked on the story.

NeuroFizz

The grad students did it
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I bought the book, I read the book. But I am sensitive to how an author treats a prologue. If it's just a big info dump, I'll likely find other issues with the story that indicate that this author is not for me. If that is the case, I won't buy any more of his/her books. If the author is skillful in the use of prologues, I'll make mental note of that as well.

MetalDog

Woof!
Registered
Reaction score
I don't see a lot of prologues in the books I read these days. I think I am instantly suspicious when I see the word 'prologue' that the author is about to bore me with insecure info-dumping. This is probably very unfair but a lot of 70's and 80's novels made me very prologue gunshy and a lot of new writers seem to produce the wall-o-text prologues which at least get all the exposition/history out of the way in one easy to skip chunk =D

A proper scene as a prologue, I will read, with caution.

rainsmom

Feeling like an old timer
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.melissa-c-alexander.com
I put "it depends." In published books I generally read them. Generally. But I find that in unpublished works-in-progress, most prologues are unnecessary.

I don't get why people think they need to tease the later action. I'll get there. Are you afraid your beginning isn't enticing enough? Um, that's a problem with your beginning, and a prologue isn't the answer.

CrastersBabies

Burninator!
Registered
Reaction score
I'd never heard of someone not reading a prologue until I came here. I haven't heard about it since.

Same here. I also wonder if it's people who read/write certain genres who do not read it, but ahh well. When I went to my writing group of 5 years and asked if any of them skipped prologues, they looked at me like I had grown another head.

KellyAssauer

The Anti-Magdalene
Registered
Reaction score
I just checked the last seven novels I've read...
and none of them have prologues.

:Shrug:

rwm4768

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
I don't skip prologues, though I do get upset if a prologue is an info dump. In my current WIP, I have a prologue, but it's not an info dump. It's actually a battle scene. It just happens to take place 500 years before the rest of the book, so it would be odd to call it chapter 1.

Al Stevens

Registered
Reaction score
If you usually skip prologues, please select that poll option. If you usually read prologues, please select that poll option. If you sometimes skip/read depending on some factor or another, please select that option. If you don't fit into any of those categories, this poll is not for you.
Then it's not for me. I always read prologues, not just usually.

Mharvey

Liker Of Happy Things
Registered
Reaction score
Use a prologue right and it's a legit tool. The author put it there for a reason and, if it's a published work, an agent and God knows how many publishers/editors agreed it wasn't wasted space.

Skipping a prologue makes as much sense to me as skipping chapter one.

Lady Ice

Makes useful distinctions
Registered
Reaction score
I might skim it if it seems to be info-dumpy but if it has some action in it, I'll definitely read it.

Who cares if some people will skip it? If they don't want to read it, that's their problem (unless your prologue is really dense or dull).

heyjude

Making my own sunshine
Registered
Reaction score
I skim. If it grabs my attention, I'll read. If not, I don't hold out a lot of hope for the rest of the book, but I'll try chapter 1.

Buffysquirrel

Registered
Reaction score
I think it was the prologue in Sabriel that put me off them. It set up a situation and characters and then the narrative jumped twenty years in ch1. I hated that feeling of a) losing out on what I thought the story was going to be and b) starting all over again with a new situation and new characters. Nor did I feel by the end that I'd have missed out on anything by skipping it. If the information in the prologue's that important, it shouldn't be just tacked on at the start. Conversely, if it can be just tacked on at the start, it probably isn't that important. YMMV

bearilou

DenturePunk writer
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
yawping barbarically over the roofs of the world
Put me down as another 'I read' but like many above, it's with caveats.

I skim if it starts getting boring. I skim if I'm treated to an historical event that is prior to the events of the novel and the characters showcased in the prologue aren't matching up with the blurb names (or characters that I know are the focus of the book).

If what I'm reading smacks of authorial desperation that I simply will not 'get it' in their novel so they're going to shovel exposition down my throat, I skim and, like heyjude, tend not to hold out much hope for the rest of the book.

So I read them in the hopes that 'this one will be the prologue that justifies its existence in the novel'. And I'm usually disappointed that I even gave it a shot. If they've disappointed me with their prologue, they better have a cracking good first chapter to hold me.

And as NeuroFizz indicated, I usually end up making note of the author. If I'm impressed with the prologue, I'll give them my full attention for anything else they write. If they don't, it will color my possible future buying habits.

PorterStarrByrd

nutruring tomorrows criminals today
Registered
Reaction score
I always at least start prologues ... Author has some info that might make the rest of the book make a little more sense.

Status
Not open for further replies.