The AW Amazon Store
Buy Books by AWers!

Welcome to the AbsoluteWrite Water Cooler! Please read The Newbie Guide To Absolute Write

View Poll Results: Do you usually skip prologues?

Voters
156. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, I usually skip prologues

17 10.90%
  • No, I usually read prologues

118 75.64%
  • It depends

21 13.46%
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: The Prologue Poll Thread (thread from 2012)

Banned

The Prologue Poll Thread (thread from 2012)

My intention in creating this thread is to poll members to see whether their reading habits are inline with the oft stated "A lot of readers skip prologues".

There have been many prologue threads and a fair number have been closed by the mods after the discussion became heated. I'd like to avoid that happening here, so I'm respectfully asking that you refrain from general prologue discussion in this thread, and that if unacceptable posts are made the moderators consider removing posts rather than closing the thread. Well, we live in hope.

So there you have it. If you usually skip prologues, please select that poll option. If you usually read prologues, please select that poll option. If you sometimes skip/read depending on some factor or another, please select that option. If you don't fit into any of those categories, this poll is not for you.

Thanks in advance.

I just saw someone in a thread today say, "Most readers skip prologues" and I gritted my teeth and sat on my fingers until I could reply to the main point of the thread (which was not about prologues) without asking about their scientific survey or being snarky (like, 'just because YOU skip prologues....'). So I'll be interested in seeing what people have to say here.

[edit]Oh, yeah, and I always read prologues.
    Blogging at The Doubting Writer

"An Unexpected Reunion" in Winter's Regret, from Elephant's Bookshelf Press.

I have to put in my two-cents worth. I checked "I usually read prologues," but I often read them (skim them) quickly.

following a secret path year90ninezero's Avatar
    I'd never heard of someone not reading a prologue until I came here. I haven't heard about it since.

They've been very bad, Mr Flibble Mr Flibble's Avatar
    We couldn't possibly do that. Who'd clear up the mess?
    I clicked I read prologues

Up until they realise themselves as 'here is a potted version of the history if the last two thousand years' in which case I put the (usually quite old) book down. I haven't seen that sort of prologue in a modern book for some time, and I usually like the ones I see now (that is, a scene that relates to/is part of the story, just separated in time/place).

"Fade to Black is a dynamic and original introduction to a world and character that promise further exciting stories". British Fantasy Society

The series has grown in complexity since the beginning, reaches a profoundly moving conclusion that is both unexpected and entirely satisfying - Publisher's Weekly

Twitter

In MA, USA, across from a 17th century cemetery
    I read them, but I thought a lot of people skipped them. Perhaps I'm wrong.

I also scan maps, family trees and any other extra stuff that's in a book. I actually love maps.
    Latest story in December 2013 issue of EQMM.

Eeyore was saying to himself, “This writing business. Pencils and what-not. Over-rated if you ask me. Silly stuff. Nothing in it.” A.A. Milne

If it looks like the prologue is warranted or short, I read it. If it's long, I'll start skimming. If it starts to look like I can survive without the information, I'll skip the rest of it... perhaps coming back later to read it again if I suspect I really did miss something of note. (But then, I'm annoyed that the author didn't just put that information where I needed it.)
    WIPs

Untitled <-- Supernatural MG (drafting)
    Tobias Tinker <-- Clockpunk MG (on hold)
    Freak Town <-- Paranormal YA (on hold)
    Huntington House <-- Paranormal YA (on hold)

Slave to the Wordcount WildScribe's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by IdiotsRUs View Post
    I clicked I read prologues

Up until they realise themselves as 'here is a potted version of the history if the last two thousand years' in which case I put the (usually quite old) book down. I haven't seen that sort of prologue in a modern book for some time, and I usually like the ones I see now (that is, a scene that relates to/is part of the story, just separated in time/place).
    This, mostly.
    Words for 2013 so far: 129,295
    Sales for 2013 so far: 25
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Word total for 2012: 292,394
    Sales total for 2012: 35

Check me out at KathleenTudor.com!

"The first problem of any kind of even limited success
    is the unshakeable conviction that you are getting away with something
    and that any moment now 'they' will discover you." - Neil Gaiman

I always do. It is a part of the story. Personally, I don't understand the hatred towards them.

I read a lot of mysteries, and the prologue is almost always the murder, sometimes from the victim's POV, sometimes the murderer's. It's usually fun in a bloody sort of way.

I read everything (until I grow bored, if applicable) but have been known to skim over long static descriptions. I read footnotes. I read endnotes. I read about the freakin' typeface! "This book was set in new hemi-Garamond blah blah blah invented by some dull guy who is dust now." I'm not sure that has ever added anything to my life, but I can't help myself.

practical experience, FTW meowzbark's Avatar
    I always read prologues, but I might not read it until after the first chapter or two. Same with maps. I'll read them after I get hooked on the story.
    4th Rewrite --> YA Paranormal, 73k words (on hold)
    Final revisions --> Dark Fantasy, 100k words

Twitter| Goodreads

The grad students did it NeuroFizz's Avatar
    I bought the book, I read the book. But I am sensitive to how an author treats a prologue. If it's just a big info dump, I'll likely find other issues with the story that indicate that this author is not for me. If that is the case, I won't buy any more of his/her books. If the author is skillful in the use of prologues, I'll make mental note of that as well.
    Phoenix (Historical - 2006)First Place, 2007 Arizona Authors Assoc. Book Awards Whiskey Creek Press
    Something Bad (Horror - 2007) Medallion Press. Silver Medal, 2008 IPPY awards, Horror category
    Rollicking Anthropomorphisms (Poetry Collection - 2008) 2009 EPPIE Award Finalist Whiskey Creek Press
    Agnes Hahn (Psychological Suspense 2008) Medallion Press Silver Medal, 2009 IPPY awards, Horror category
    Imola (Sequel to Agnes Hahn 2009) - Medallion Press
    3.99 (Psychological Suspense/Mystery 2012) - Musa 2014 EPIC e-book awards Finalist, Paranormal category

I don't see a lot of prologues in the books I read these days. I think I am instantly suspicious when I see the word 'prologue' that the author is about to bore me with insecure info-dumping. This is probably very unfair but a lot of 70's and 80's novels made me very prologue gunshy and a lot of new writers seem to produce the wall-o-text prologues which at least get all the exposition/history out of the way in one easy to skip chunk =D

A proper scene as a prologue, I will read, with caution.

Feeling like an old timer rainsmom's Avatar
    I put "it depends." In published books I generally read them. Generally. But I find that in unpublished works-in-progress, most prologues are unnecessary.

I don't get why people think they need to tease the later action. I'll get there. Are you afraid your beginning isn't enticing enough? Um, that's a problem with your beginning, and a prologue isn't the answer.
    Melissa C. Alexander

Click for Joy!
    Click for Joy!
    Sunshine Books, 2003
    Winner "Best Training/Behavior Book 2003" by Dog Writers of America

WIP: Doubting River (est. completion 2014)
    Winner mainstream category of "The Sandy" literary contest, 2010

Blog: A Plotter's Guide to Novel Writing
    Twitter: @M_C_Alexander

Quote Originally Posted by year90ninezero View Post
    I'd never heard of someone not reading a prologue until I came here. I haven't heard about it since.
    Same here. I also wonder if it's people who read/write certain genres who do not read it, but ahh well. When I went to my writing group of 5 years and asked if any of them skipped prologues, they looked at me like I had grown another head.
    "That is hoity-toity nonsense." ~ Bufty

The Anti-Magdalene KellyAssauer's Avatar
    I just checked the last seven novels I've read...
    and none of them have prologues.

Asylum
    What Genre is my writing?

Literary & Misfit Writers Group
    Quote Originally Posted by TedTheewen View Post
    Wow...that certainly is a very large flute.
    Quote Originally Posted by SWest View Post
    Huh? What? Where am I?
    Quote Originally Posted by Silver King View Post
    For Kelly, and others seeking soft asylum.
    "It is only the large subjects and the big, sweeping themes that make cheap sentences possible." -Cleo Birdwell

Tears are peanut & helplessness.

practical experience, FTW rwm4768's Avatar
    I don't skip prologues, though I do get upset if a prologue is an info dump. In my current WIP, I have a prologue, but it's not an info dump. It's actually a battle scene. It just happens to take place 500 years before the rest of the book, so it would be odd to call it chapter 1.

practical experience, FTW Al Stevens's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by RobJ View Post
    If you usually skip prologues, please select that poll option. If you usually read prologues, please select that poll option. If you sometimes skip/read depending on some factor or another, please select that option. If you don't fit into any of those categories, this poll is not for you.
    Then it's not for me. I always read prologues, not just usually.

Historicals and Horror rule donroc's Avatar
    I read prologues, forewords, prefaces, introductions, and everything else at the beginning of a book I purchase.

"Chronology is not destiny"
    Donald Michael Platt

"If, as Napoleon said, History is a myth agreed upon, let mine be the definitive myth."
    Donald Michael Platt

www.donaldmichaelplatt.com
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RXZthhY6OtI&feature=channel_page

Use a prologue right and it's a legit tool. The author put it there for a reason and, if it's a published work, an agent and God knows how many publishers/editors agreed it wasn't wasted space.

Skipping a prologue makes as much sense to me as skipping chapter one.
    Currently Working On: Untitled Urban Fantasy, 10000ish words in
    In The Bottom Drawer:Too Damn Many To Count.

Makes useful distinctions Lady Ice's Avatar
    I might skim it if it seems to be info-dumpy but if it has some action in it, I'll definitely read it.

Who cares if some people will skip it? If they don't want to read it, that's their problem (unless your prologue is really dense or dull).
    "We work in the dark--we do what we can--we give what we have. Our doubt is our passion and our passion is our task. The rest is the madness of art." (Henry James)

"Either you think--or else others have to think for you and take power from you, pervert and discipline your natural tastes, civilize and sterilize you." (Tender is The Night)

http://stagebystage.weebly.com/

Making my own sunshine AW Moderator heyjude's Avatar
    I skim. If it grabs my attention, I'll read. If not, I don't hold out a lot of hope for the rest of the book, but I'll try chapter 1.

practical experience, FTW
    I think it was the prologue in Sabriel that put me off them. It set up a situation and characters and then the narrative jumped twenty years in ch1. I hated that feeling of a) losing out on what I thought the story was going to be and b) starting all over again with a new situation and new characters. Nor did I feel by the end that I'd have missed out on anything by skipping it. If the information in the prologue's that important, it shouldn't be just tacked on at the start. Conversely, if it can be just tacked on at the start, it probably isn't that important. YMMV

yawping barbarically over the roofs of the world
    Put me down as another 'I read' but like many above, it's with caveats.

I skim if it starts getting boring. I skim if I'm treated to an historical event that is prior to the events of the novel and the characters showcased in the prologue aren't matching up with the blurb names (or characters that I know are the focus of the book).

If what I'm reading smacks of authorial desperation that I simply will not 'get it' in their novel so they're going to shovel exposition down my throat, I skim and, like heyjude, tend not to hold out much hope for the rest of the book.

So I read them in the hopes that 'this one will be the prologue that justifies its existence in the novel'. And I'm usually disappointed that I even gave it a shot. If they've disappointed me with their prologue, they better have a cracking good first chapter to hold me.

And as NeuroFizz indicated, I usually end up making note of the author. If I'm impressed with the prologue, I'll give them my full attention for anything else they write. If they don't, it will color my possible future buying habits.
    Quote Originally Posted by Phaeal View Post
    The first draft is a huge pile of clay that you've laboriously heaped on your table, patting it into a rough shape as you go along. From the second draft onward, you'll cut away chunks, add bits, pat and punch and pinch, until you finally have a gorgeous figure of, oh, Marcus Aurelius. Or a duck. But a damn fine duck.
    Quote Originally Posted by KTC View Post
    1) Write like your face is on fire.

practical experience, FTW PorterStarrByrd's Avatar
    I always at least start prologues ... Author has some info that might make the rest of the book make a little more sense.
    http://porterstarrbyrd.blogspot.com/

http://absolutelyunofficialpac12spor....blogspot.com/

We have met the enemy and he is us - Pogo
    The reason I spend so much time out of the box is that somebody crapped in it - Porter Starr Byrd
    Yield to temptation, it may never come again - unknown
    some people have a hard time keeping up with the vanguard ... of course most of those are called survivors - PSB

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast