'08 Obama Voters

Maze Runner

Registered
Reaction score
No, but only because I dislike the Republican field of candidates more than I dislike Obama.

Curious how he's disappointed you. I've heard from some '08 Obama voters that they've been disappointed. I don't know how much of this was due to unrealistic expectations. I think we were in such a mess in '08, he said all the right things; no point more relevant, I don't think, than the strangle hold that big business has on our politics. At first he wouldn't take that money, then he did. I voted for him and will again, but I want this issue foremost if and when he gets a 2nd term. To me, nothing matters more.

Lyv

I meant to do that.
Registered
Reaction score
I'm actually a stronger supporter now than I was then.

Manuel Royal

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
donnetowntoday.blogspot.com
Curious how he's disappointed you. I've heard from some '08 Obama voters that they've been disappointed. I don't know how much of this was due to unrealistic expectations.
I only got a pony instead of the unicorn I was hoping for.

Seriously, though ... we're still running an unconstitutional gulag in Cuba; the President has asserted his right to order the murder of anyone he deems fit, with nothing that would normally be called due process; the DEA is going after medical marijuana ... there's a lot of crap not to be happy about.

But, yes, given the choices we've got, I'll be voting for him again. Already did in the primary. (Four years ago I voted for Edwards in the primary. Didn't work out.)

clintl

Represent.
Registered
Reaction score
No. His accomplishments have been underestimated, in my opinion.

Maze Runner

Registered
Reaction score
It seemed like he had a window, early in his administration, he had them on their heels. You could almost feel them reeling from the blow. At that time of course, he still had the house majority. Once GOP powers got back on their feet they came out strong in their obstructionism. Obama could have personally developed a cure for cancer and they would have had a problem with it.

I do agree that his accomplishments in this environment have been underestimated, but most of us voted for more, for real, endemic change. I'm sorry to pound the drum again, but I do feel that corporate control over our policy is issue number 1. It affects every part of our lives. I may be naive to still believe that most of our elected officials on the federal level start out as smart, sincere individuals, but if they want to stay in the game they have to take money from entities that have only their interests in mind. More naive I think, would be to believe that corps don't expect anything in return. Obama should have stayed on this point relentlessly, brought the fight directly to the people. Tell them, you wanna know why nothing ever changes, nothing seems to improve? This is why. Clarity is so important in these days of misinformation.

backslashbaby

~~~~*~~~~
Registered
Reaction score
He hasn't lost me nearly so much as any of the Republican candidates. It's a complete no-brainer for me, but I'm not really satisfied, no.

That said, he did better than a bunch of Democrats would have, too.

rugcat

Lost in the Fog
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jlevitt.com
I believe he was asking people who already voted for him once.
How do you know he didn't?

Although I voted for Obama, I wasn't impressed with his political savvy at first. He badly underestimated his political opposition and relied too much on the idealistic idea of good will.

I think he's learned a lot, and I actually support him now more strongly than I did in 2008.

Mharvey

Liker Of Happy Things
Registered
Reaction score
He hasn't lost me nearly so much as any of the Republican candidates. It's a complete no-brainer for me, but I'm not really satisfied, no.

Pretty much this for me too. Didn't vote Obama in 2008, but will in 2012.

I feel Obama's accomplished very little, though I'm willing to admit I don't feel it's as much his fault as I used to. Seeing the numbers on the fillibusters and learning what I have about this Republican Congress, and just how much power it has over Obama's administration, I have to awknoledge that Obama's has been trying to swim with a 100 pound weight tied to his back.

Add in that Romney's political platform has alienated me completely in recent weeks, there's only one logical way to cast my ballet.

maxmordon

Penúltimo
Registered
Reaction score
Website
twitter.com
Democracy has given a sad turn when vote is narrowed down to vote for the person one dislikes the least.

Mharvey

Liker Of Happy Things
Registered
Reaction score
Democracy has given a sad turn when vote is narrowed down to vote for the person one dislikes the least.

Clinton, I think, was the last inspiring leader IMHO. The kind of guy I *really* wanted to vote for.

Pity I was 10 at the time of his election, though I'm positive he rocked that prepubescent demographic in my area!

cmi0616

Registered
Reaction score
To be honest, if anything, I'm more sure about voting for Obama now then I was in '08. I was very much on the fence about him then, due to his lack of experience, mostly. But he's done right by me, and although I haven't agreed with every policy and would like to see some of the change he promised on a larger scale, I think he's headed in the right direction and I think the country will continue to grow and recover under this administration.