The AW Amazon Store
Buy books by AWers

Welcome to the AbsoluteWrite Water Cooler! Please read The Newbie Guide To Absolute Write

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Parkeast Literary Agency

New Fish; Learning About Thick Skin

Parkeast Literary Agency

Donna Eastman of Parkeast Literary Agency, Palm Coast, FL has expressed an interest in my YA fiction, Treasure Seekers! The Lost Suttertown Gold. Trouble is, in her WritersNet blurb she stated, "We specialize in first-time authors." This concerns me a little, since my past experiences with sharks always began with similar statements.
    P&E looks okay, and I can't find anything else negative, but this community is great, so I thought I'd ask: Has anyone had any experience, good or bad, with Ms. Eastman or this agency?
    Thanks.

T-Bone

Beware!!

Donna Eastman sounds vaguely familiar, perhaps from one of Writer Beware's many warnings. No evidence of any sales, no web site, nada. Victoria, are you watching?
    Last edited by Sakamonda; 01-03-2006 at 04:29 AM.
    www.jamaicalayne.com, http://jamaicalayne.blogspot.com
    www.ravenousromance.com

MARKET FOR LOVE now available; Buy it here.

[Jamaica Layne] has built a multifaceted writing career, in genres ranging from theater to erotic fiction"---Chicago Tribune

"Layne sucks you in and doesn't let go until the last page."--Love Romance Passion.com

"Once you read Jamaica Layne, she will be on your auto-buy list."----Dirty Girl Reviews, on MARKET FOR LOVE

4 Stars!----Romantic Times Magazine

Ooo! Shiny new cover! Absolute Sage Cathy C's Avatar
    Hi, Donna,

Thanks for taking the time to drop by and respond. Naturally, we're always happy to know about new agencies that are accepting clients. You mentioned that you have 27 authors with manuscripts placed. I presume that this means they're in the field awaiting response. May I presume then that this means you haven't sold any of those manuscripts since you opened in January of last year? Since I couldn't find any mention of sales for either you or Ms. Koehler on Publisher's Marketplace or AgentQuery, perhaps it's easiest to ask you directly.

While enthusiasm for your authors' manuscripts is wonderful, the goal is to sell the books, so a track record is something that new authors watch for when seeking an agent. If you have indeed had sales during this year, it would probably be a really good idea to list them over on Publisher's Marketplace, especially if you choose not to have a website that lists your credentials as an agent. Reporting a deal is a free service, and an advertisement for your agency for those seeking subsidiary rights in new releases. Also, prospective authors can then Google your name or your agency and feel more confident about sending manuscripts.
    Want FREE reads? Click here!

Smiles!
    Cathy Clamp
    USA Today bestselling author
    ILLICIT, coming 7/16!
    My Website
    Follow me: Twitter
    Now on Facebook! Come friend me!

"An entertaining (and occasionally very dark) mystery." -- Locus

"[Shapeshifter] fans are about to hit the jackpot as Clamp returns to re-energize this amazing series. Searching for layered plotlines and complex characters? Look no further, as Clamp truly delivers!" -- RT BookReviews

"Cathy Clamp is a visionary author, creating new worlds that are both strong and vividly drawn. Adventure and excitement at its best." -- Yasmine Galenorn, New York Times Bestselling Author

"A struggling community under attack, compelling action, characters struggling with dark secrets ... FORBIDDEN hit all my favorite notes, and I love the rich world of the Sazi!" - Rachel Caine, New York Times Bestselling Author

Thanks for the input. And a special thanks to Ms. Pudick for responding so openly, despite some problems. I believe such forthrightness speaks to good character, a quality I esteem.

T-Bone

Who's going for a beer? waylander's Avatar
    Hi Donna

Do you have some guidelines around anywhere? What kind of stuff are you looking for?

Submission guidelines

Hi Donna,

I am also wondering what you are looking to represent. Can you direct me to your guidelines?

Thanks.

Selena

Hagiographically Advantaged AW Moderator HapiSofi's Avatar
    How do you do, Ms. Pudick.

"We specialize in first-time authors" is normally a cause for consternation, even if it's later amended to "first-time and established." Have any of your clients made significant sales? Have you made any significant sales for your clients?

I'm not sure I understand what do your personal problems have to do with slow-to-respond publishers. Do you mean your hiatus kept you from sending out manuscripts?

I would be interested in seeing your list of manuscripts and where they are currently placed. Could you please send it to me in care of yog@sff.net?

Thank you.
    Winner of the Best Drycleaner on the Block Award.

Your Genial Uncle Absolute Sage James D. Macdonald's Avatar
    For clarification sake: Mail to yog@sff.net comes to me. I can forward to Hapi. I know his/her true identity. Hapi uses a pseudonym here in order to speak freely.

Hapi is an acquiring editor at a major house.

What? I have a title? Julie Worth's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by James D. Macdonald
    Hapi is an acquiring editor at a major house.
    Oh good god! <hoping I haven't offended Hapi somewhere along the line>

Will write for peace of mind Kevin Yarbrough's Avatar
    To me it sounds like she had problems and wasn't able to send them out and that was the reason for the long wait. I'm going to give her the benefit of the doubt. She came here, answered our questions and didn't get snippy about it, and seems to be willing to show us where she is sending out her clientels work. Until I hear something negative about this agency I'm going to wish them well. I might have to email them and see what kind of work they are looking for.
    The inner machinations of my mind are an enigma.

Gone
    Quote Originally Posted by Julie Worth
    Oh good god! <hoping I haven't offended Hapi somewhere along the line>
    Gosh. You just never know who you might be telling they don't know what they're talking about, do you? I'm tellin' ya, it's a minefield.
    Winner of Uncle Jim's Whoo Hoo Super Writer Award and Nomad's Most Use of Vowels in a Screen Name Award as well as Maryn's Only Person on AW Whose Name Anagrams to "I, Octane," "Act I (One)" and "Nice tao" Award in addition to batgirl's Culpeper Award for Botanically Erudite Screen Name plus awatkins' AW's Most Creative Srounger [sic] of Rep Points Award not to mention azbikergirl's Arizona Most Awarded Writer Award and also Dawno's Most Interesting Signature Line Award

Moderator In Name Only AW Moderator Roger J Carlson's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Donna Pudick
    Parkeast Literary Agency is a partnership of two women who worked for other agencies (which shall remain unnamed).
    Pardon me, Ms. Pudick, but why? I see listings on Publisher's Marketplace where new agencies list previous employment. Seems to me this would be a great way to establish your credentials. Any time I see secrecy about an agent's background, client list, or submission record, I get nervous.
    --Roger J. Carlson

Print release:Sept.1,'09 Branwyn's Avatar
    Sorry Donna, I deleted it, thought I was doing a favor...
    I apologize.

figuring it all out The Scribbler's Avatar
    I submitted a query with Parkeast Literary Agency, and got a quick reply asking for a partial that is still under review, and I can say that Parkeast has been completely forthcoming with answers to all my questions and have nothing but professional.

HypnoCin67

Smile Parkeast Literary Agency

I, too, sent a query to Parkeast back in 2005 and was asked to send a partial. Recently, Donna asked me to send the full manuscript, and she's been nothing but professional and very nice. From what I understand (I know Dennis Lehane and his agent from being in five of his workshops at Stonecoast and Solstice Confs) new authors shouldn't necessarily be looking to be represented by "Stephen King's agent" or big name agencies, b/c they are generally too busy working with the clients who are already bringing in the "big bucks." It's apparently better to start with an agent who doesn't have big names under their belts yet, as they will have much more time to focus on the new authors. Good luck to Parkeast!

Gone
    HypnoCin67, there's a difference of opinion about that. The other way of looking at it is that if you're good enough to be taken on by a Big Name Agent, it's senseless to aim lower.
    Winner of Uncle Jim's Whoo Hoo Super Writer Award and Nomad's Most Use of Vowels in a Screen Name Award as well as Maryn's Only Person on AW Whose Name Anagrams to "I, Octane," "Act I (One)" and "Nice tao" Award in addition to batgirl's Culpeper Award for Botanically Erudite Screen Name plus awatkins' AW's Most Creative Srounger [sic] of Rep Points Award not to mention azbikergirl's Arizona Most Awarded Writer Award and also Dawno's Most Interesting Signature Line Award

Requiescat In Pace Requiescat In Pace

Parkeast

Of course Writer Beware doesn't endorse any agencies, but I will say that I had a pleasant and very upfront conversation with Donna Pudick a few months ago, where we discussed her startup agency, the backgrounds of the two agents, etc. She was very responsive and helpful during the conversation, which is NOT the hallmark of a scammer, trust me.

Writer Beware has not received any complaints about this agency, and they do not charge upfront fees of any kind as far as we can determine -- always a positive sign. They don't have a track record, either, however, though they are submitting manuscripts, and they are upfront about where they're submitting.

I hope Parkeast can get some sales going, so they can achieve a track record.

Best,

-Ann C. Crispin
    Writer Beware

Mostly Harmless SuperModerator CaoPaux's Avatar
    Heh. Y'all beat me to it, but I'll chime in that it's not how big the agent's clients are, but how big a sale the agent can get. IOW, does the agent have enough clout with editors to get your ms read in a timely fashion? Agented slush is better than over-the-transom slush, but it's still not where you want your ms to be.
    ICAO
    ---------
    Achievers strive for excellence. Perfectionists drive themselves to extinction. -- A Grapple A Day
    I've never known any trouble that an hour's reading didn't assuage. -- Charles DeSecondat

II 2016: 2017:

Cool

I will also add that new start-up agents have a stressful, daunting task of establishing their presence in the industry. I know, I belong to one, and am privvy to the heartfelt concerns. They have to spend at least a year (beforehand or during), attending every available conference, workshop, or event in an attempt to meet all of the editors (face to face) that they will be working with in the future. The PR is massive, unending, and sometimes restrictive when you consider that many new agents have to hold down regular jobs and families, before they even begin to establish their presence and make sales. They have it as tough as writers, contantly concerned about rejection, not for their own products, but the products of their clients. The pressure is enourmous--the queries, the gripes, the concerns, the mass mailings (that they have to provide first upfront), the long distance calls (which many of them eat), and all other sundry.

On the other hand an agency that has no sales after a year or two runs up some red flags, and you begin to wonder how they are supporting their business. The gorms and fee-chargers come under this index, and certainly should be avoided at all costs.

Tri

Talking Parkeast is for real

I recently got word that this agency has placed two works with large publishers. I heard this second-hand from a very reliable source so I don't know all the details. From everything I'm told Donna is extremely professional and very nice to work with. Sadly, I don't think they're looking for clients right now.

Transom-Jumper

Half their WN listings do say they're closed. I'm not finding any word of sales. The only published client coming to hand is with Mundania.
    ICAO
    ---------
    Achievers strive for excellence. Perfectionists drive themselves to extinction. -- A Grapple A Day
    I've never known any trouble that an hour's reading didn't assuage. -- Charles DeSecondat

Heroes don't always win egtalbot's Avatar
    I emailed them and got a near immediate response (non-automated). They are currently looking for only non-fiction - expert how-tos, first person accounts, biographies, real disaster or crime. They only sign one or two new clients per year.

My book is a novel, so they aren't a match for me, but figured I'd pass the info along.

Parkeast has a poor Google-print for an agency in business since 2005. I do find mention of one solid sale (McGraw-Hill, pubbed 2008), but a book previously mentioned as on submittal to Simon & Schuster is now vanity pubbed. http://www.amazon.com/First-Do-Harm-...9600795&sr=1-1.
    ICAO
    ---------

new author

Smile Parkeast

Quote Originally Posted by egtalbot View Post
    I emailed them and got a near immediate response (non-automated). They are currently looking for only non-fiction - expert how-tos, first person accounts, biographies, real disaster or crime. They only sign one or two new clients per year.

My book is a novel, so they aren't a match for me, but figured I'd pass the info along.
    I e-mailed Gloria Koehler at Parkeast yesterday. My book is part fiction, part non and she e-mailed me back today saying it sounded interesting and needed the synopsis. I think they're open to contemporary fiction if it sounds interesting. I like their openness and these notes say they're honest and apparently working hard. So, I'm willing to trust them if they want a few chapters to look at or the full ms.

Expert Procrastinator AlterEgox5's Avatar
    So after hearing Parkeast had a new reader for SF, I decided to give them a shot. The reader loved it and got back to me after 2 days, letting me know he intended to show it to Gloria for a second reading before it ended up with Donna.

After about two weeks, I heard back again with an offer of representation. I'm excited - yet I'm not as excited as I feel I should be. I think it's because it's been so long...after so many rejections, it's like I'm waiting for the other shoe to drop, like suddenly they'll say no for whatever reason.

Anyone want to pinch me so I know it's all for real?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast