Goals and progress toward them

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rubay H.

Registered
Reaction score
Website
maryfrikkenpoppins.wordpress.com
3,100/3,000 words written today. Woot! Surpassed my goal and spent half the day visiting Mom at the care center. Double win!
Hot damn! Those numbers are amazing - especially with a mom visit. Good job.

I just finished my short and it's in the hand of a my copy editor/beta reader. I exchanged babysitting for the edits. :D

merrihiatt

Writing! Writing! Writing!
Absolute Sage
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
Website
merrihiatt.com
Hot damn! Those numbers are amazing - especially with a mom visit. Good job.

I just finished my short and it's in the hand of a my copy editor/beta reader. I exchanged babysitting for the edits. :D

Thanks!

Great alternative to exchange edits for babysitting. Creative!

ohthatmomagain

writing, working, weeping, winning
Registered
Reaction score
Sounds like a productive day (for others... not so much me lol). I've been reading blogs and watching old episodes of General Hospital on youtube-- BUT they are inspiring a story (actually a character for novel number 2)... so it's all good ;)

Katallina

Registered
Reaction score
Website
kathyanncoleman.blogspot.com
Sounds like a productive day (for others... not so much me lol). I've been reading blogs and watching old episodes of General Hospital on youtube-- BUT they are inspiring a story (actually a character for novel number 2)... so it's all good ;)

Sometimes you need to do stuff like that. I call it refilling the well. If I get to a point where I am doing writing stuff because I'm making myself rather then because I want to be there, it's a no win situation.

As for me, "Christmas Eve" and "Christmas" are both through their revisions now, and I am working on the chapter where Sara and Kess go on a date. Everything is about to go terribly, horribly wrong. ;) (This is about 2/3 of the way through, so that seems par for the course.)

If I can keep going at this rate, the book should be done with this round's revisions in no time. (Here's hoping!)

merrihiatt

Absolute Sage
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
Website
merrihiatt.com
I also agree with Katallina, you need time away from writing and I never force myself to write. It flows or it doesn't. The characters are always in my head and things get worked at more there than when I'm actually writing. Writing, for me, is more transferring the thoughts in my brain to the keyboard. They're always spinning 'round and 'round. Things that I typed in chapter one that didn't seem important often come back mid-way through and I wonder how I knew to put that little detail in when I didn't know where the story was going. My brain knew.

ohthatmomagain

Registered
Reaction score
I also agree with Katallina, you need time away from writing and I never force myself to write. It flows or it doesn't. The characters are always in my head and things get worked at more there than when I'm actually writing. Writing, for me, is more transferring the thoughts in my brain to the keyboard. They're always spinning 'round and 'round. Things that I typed in chapter one that didn't seem important often come back mid-way through and I wonder how I knew to put that little detail in when I didn't know where the story was going. My brain knew.

I'm actually really excited to start writing this. It's a campnanowrimo book. I love nanowrimo. It's so freeing. You just... write. (ahhh bliss... until the editing lol)

Katallina

Registered
Reaction score
Website
Oh, don't tempt me with CampNaNoWriMo. I want to do that so bad! I'm actually using it to motivate myself to get these revisions done so that I *can* do it. Can't decide whether I'd rather work on Moon Dance's sequel (Tentatively "Moon Shadow") or whether I'd like to work on the mermaid story I've been toying with.

I'm up to Chapter 15 now and I'm still going. I don't totally know (aside from CampNaNo) what's up with me today (tonight) but the revision is going well. :)

merrihiatt

Absolute Sage
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
Website
merrihiatt.com
Busted out another 4,000 words tonight. That makes 7,302 today. Woot! I always get a burst when I'm down the home stretch. Another 3,000-4,000 words and I'll be done with the first draft. Maybe 5,000 words. I'm not exactly sure how many more need to be written to finish off the ending well.

ohthatmomagain

Registered
Reaction score
Busted out another 4,000 words tonight. That makes 7,302 today. Woot! I always get a burst when I'm down the home stretch. Another 3,000-4,000 words and I'll be done with the first draft. Maybe 5,000 words. I'm not exactly sure how many more need to be written to finish off the ending well.

Keep going so I can have a nano buddy :)

I love the homestretch, "I KNOW I can bust out 10,000 words today!"

merrihiatt

Absolute Sage
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
Website
merrihiatt.com
:snoopy: First draft is done! :snoopy: A tiny break and then it's on to the first edit, then sending to my two beta readers. One is great at catching inconsistencies and storyline issues and the other is wonderful at catching typos, oddly worded sentences and punctuation. Then it's two more edits by me.

What is Camp NaNoWriMo? I did NaNoWriMo last year for the first time and knocked out the three books in my Mangadarth Trilogy while working full-time. It was nuts as I ended up with around 150,000 words.

ohthatmomagain

Registered
Reaction score
Camp is Nanowrimo... in the summer :) You can either pick June or August. I did Nano in November and am very excited about June... apparently, I need a goal...

merrihiatt

Absolute Sage
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
Website
merrihiatt.com
Oh, I see. Thanks for letting me know. I won't be participating. I don't have any problem writing every day. I am highly motivated, especially since my next book is the last in the four-book series.

merrihiatt

Absolute Sage
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
Website
merrihiatt.com
Kriven, I thank my lucky stars I took three years of typing in high school. I'm a fast typist. My highest timed test was 116 wpm. I think that really helps. :D

ohthatmomagain

Registered
Reaction score
That is true..... you're speedy! I get excited with 2,000 words a day lol

Norman D Gutter

Engineer Sonneteer
Poetry Book Collaborator
Registered
Reaction score
Website
davidatodd.com
I have two works-in-progress: a baseball novel that is complete, excepting any last minute edits I might want to do; and a non-fiction political book that is only 1000-2000 words away from being done. Both have timeliness implications based on subject matter and world events, if the baseball season can be said to be a world event.

My goal is to have both of these published by July, one of them in June if I can. The novel is more likely to be in June, given its state of completion and significant editing already incorporated. Unfortuately my cover designer doesn't seem to be doing anything. Also, I sent the first three chapters to an interested editor, and would like to hear back from him before taking the self-publishing plunge with this. I already have the e-book cover for the political book, and can have the paper cover in a week once I pull the trigger. But I still have editing to do, and need to obtain some better quality graphs from the Congressional Budget Office. Plus I'll need formatting help because of all the graphs. So this one is more likely to go up in July. It's a definite self-publish.

Rob Lopez

New Skin; Learning About Thick Fish
Registered
Reaction score
Not much progress to report so far. As far as word count is concerned I've occasionally managed to touch my 1000 word limit, but mostly it's about 700 words a day.

Which is an improvement on my old 500 words a day.:)

One thing I can report though - the story is developing in a rich and varied manner.

This is my sequel you see, and for a while I did wonder whether I would have enough to make the second book equal the first (never mind exceed it). The first book took three years to write and got redrafted nine times. That was a learning experience, but it also meant a greater amount of time to dream up new stuff, sub-plots, scenes etc that helped to enrich the novel (it was 127,000 words).

I don't want to, and won't, take three years for this next novel, but I didn't really know what the effect would be of writing it to a shorter deadline. Would the story be simpler and more formulaic because I had less time to mull it over? Would I, in fact, simply grind to a halt halfway through because, in spite of a few sketched out thoughts, I only really had one book inside me?

So I'm happy to announce that, as I grind my way through the various characters' motivations, dilemmas and sub-plots in the opening chapters, the rich tapestry that is the rest of the novel is emerging in my head like finished fabric from a machine (I used to be a textile factory mechanic, so that metaphor works for me, even if it doesn't for anyone else;)) and it looks already as thickly plotted as the first one, which isn't bad after only a couple of months.

It answers the question of 'Do I have it in me?' Because I really didn't have enough to outline the plot before I began. The process of writing however has itself produced more writing.

You know, I could become a writer yet. :D

robertbevan

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
i'm through chapter 18 (of 22) in revision n+2. four more chapters, and i'll give it another look, see if i need a revision n+3.

Katallina

Registered
Reaction score
Website
@ Rob Lopez: I know exactly what you are talking about. I'm just going through the second half of revising Moon Dance, and then I'll be jumping on to writing the first draft of Moon Shadow while I wait for feedback on it. My book has taken about a year from first draft to where I am now, and I am hoping to publish it in December.

How do you write? Do you plan things out or write off the top of your head? I come up with the major stuff and fill in as I go, personally. So hyped to begin working on the outline for Moon Shadow, although I usually prefer calling it my map. It's not a list of instructions. Its a landscape I want to explore that has a few landmarks (major scenes) filled in to help me get where I need to be.

As for how many words you write per day, I think its great just to get something down. The worst for me is when I have one day where I write 3,000 and then two where nothing gets done because I feel stuck. Ugh! But sometimes there is a ball of yarn inside my head that needs to get unraveled so I will know where I am suppose to be going, and I've learnt I'm not great at jumping around in a story -- I prefer to start at the start and go. I add and change stuff later, but that's not the same.

Anyway, I wish you the best of luck with your sequel to Even the Dead Dance to Live. :)

Rob Lopez

New Skin; Learning About Thick Fish
Registered
Reaction score
How do you write? Do you plan things out or write off the top of your head? I come up with the major stuff and fill in as I go, personally.

I gave up on planning things out - didn't work for me, so now I let things unfold as I write. I find that a little easier now, but during the first novel I felt like it was frying my brain, trying to create everything in my head and keeping it there while writing it out. Slows me down, but there it is.

Good luck with publishing Moon Dance!

stranger

Registered
Reaction score
Goal 1: Indie publish print version of my first book
Status: It's already published in ebook form so just need to figure out formatting and CreateSpace
Target: Next few weeks

Goal 2: Indie publish my second book as ebook.
Status: Has been content edited. Need to make improvements based on that and move onto copy editing phase and hire cover designer.
Target: Within 2 months

Goal 3: Indie publish third book as ebook
Status: Really crappy first draft done. Maybe 15% through second draft.
Target: Maybe October. Definitely by end of year.

stranger

Registered
Reaction score
Been working on a title for my second book the last few weeks and I think I finally came up with a good one: Mythweaver.

However, there seems to be an RPG game using that name and there's paperbacks available as "Mythweaver: Some Subtitle" with rules of the RPG.

I assume that doesn't preclude me from using that title. I'm not sure of the rules. I notice that Orson Scott Card recently released a book called PathFinder which is the same title as a previously released movie.

Status
Not open for further replies.