AW Amazon Store

If this site is helpful to you,
Please consider a voluntary subscription to defray ongoing expenses.

Welcome to the AbsoluteWrite Water Cooler! Please read The Newbie Guide To Absolute Write

Thread: Diamond Heart Press

Diamond Heart Press

This publisher turned up on a Duotrope search. Thoughts? Duotrope lists them as paying pro-level advances ($2k and up) but there's nothing I could find on the site that tells about advances, royalties, distribution, or publishing experience of the mother-daughter staff. They have one book available but I don't see any activity on the site since February.
    Visit my website!

but appreciated anyway... Unimportant's Avatar
    Can you give us the url?

*dies of embarrassment* I'm so sorry, I thought I had. http://diamondheartpress.com/
    Visit my website!

Is this the company?

http://diamondheartpress.com/

Looks like they only have one book so far. I didn't see anything about advances on the submission page.

Wilde about Oscar aliceshortcake's Avatar
    From their FAQ page:

Is Diamond Heart Press a small publisher?
    Yes. Our staff consists of only the co-founders: Tomiko Mitchell and Kyana Mayfield, also mother and daughter. We feel this offers us a chance to have a closer relationship with our authors and give more care and attention to the titles we choose to carry.

Do you charge a fee of any kind? Such as a reading fee?
    No. We do things the traditional way by offering authors a contract with an advance against royalties, and we take on the entire expense of producing their book for ourselves, including editing, design, marketing, distribution, etc. We also make digital versions of all our titles.
    Unfortunately, due to the limit of our budget, we can take on no more than 6 of the titles we receive per year (3 titles per season).
    Diamond Heart's sole author to date, K Rene, is barely 16 (her book won't be published until summer 2013). Back to the FAQ:

You say you accept young authors. What is the minimum age requirement for one to be considered for publication by Diamond Heart Press?
    We do not base our decisions on age, but on the quality of the writing. For example, we would naturally be more inclined to consider a 12-year-old who has read and followed our guidelines, versus an older writer who has obviously not read our formatting principles and whose work is riddled with errors. We accept manuscripts from all ages, though a parental consent form must be included with the work (if underage).

Do you publish both print and e-book formats for all titles?
    Yes, we publish every one of our books in both print and e-book format. We like to offer readers a wide array of choices to read their favorite books. If there is a sufficient demand for it, we will even consider publishing it in audio format. Whether the print version is hardcover or paperback depends on a number of things, including how experienced or well-known the author is, what our financial situation looks like, etcetera.

Where will your books be available for purchase?
    Titles we publish will be available anywhere books are purchased, as we will go through an independent distributor.

Through Diamond Heart Press, is there any possibility of getting my book into physical stores?
    Thereís a very large possibility of our titles being available in brick and mortar stores, but ultimately it depends on the bookseller. A number of factors thatíll aid their decision, besides having a good story, will be whether the book has a professional cover and interior design, whether itís professionally edited, whether the book was printed via print-on-demand or offset, whether sufficient marketing has been done to get buyers into the bookstores, etcetera. Seeing as how we offer all of this, weíd say the odds are in our favor .

Will Diamond Heart Press help with marketing, or is most of the marketing the responsibility of the author?
    We treat every book we take on as if it were our child, so we do our best to get our titles out there and share the authorís message with the world. Of course itís important for the author to be just as involved in the promotion of their book, but we see it as more of a team effort, and we offer the financial backing and assistance needed to let people know about it.

http://diamondheartpress.com/frequen...ked-questions/
    I couldn't find any information about the previous publishing experience of co-founders Tomiko Mitchell and Kyana Mayfield. Kyana's name turned up a few Google hits - she seems to be a teenager with writing/modelling/acting ambitions, and I can't help wondering if she's also K Rene.

Made a submission here, but they're going to have to change their form (drop-down boxes) to indicate an actual fiction submission. It confused me at first. I made both a form and email sub in an attempt to cover the bases.

tri

Banned
    Hi Guys,

I recently queried this publisher and received an Email back requesting the full manuscript. I was tempted at first but then decided not to bother.

Firstly the only writer on their books is clearly the founders daughter. Which is fine, but doesn't really instil a lot of confidence. It also looked as though the release date of the book had changed once or twice which didn't strike me as professional, and I wasn't impressed with the cover of the book.

So, to cut a long story short, I didn't feel as though they could offer me anything I couldn't do for myself through self-publishing. And at least then I would have full creative control and be able to keep more of the royalties.

I don't think they are a scam or anything sinister, just very small and inexperienced. It could probably work well for some writers but not for me.

Sara, what was your turnaround time for the request? I still have a sub with them I'm waiting on.

tri

Banned
    I think it was about 4-6 weeks. Not too bad really. I'd query if they haven't responded in a couple of months.

Site Down Until Further Notice

Greetings! The official website for Diamond Heart Press is currently down due to problems within the company. We do not have a specified date for when we will be back up and running. We are working hard to correct the problem, and offer our sincere apologies if this causes you any inconvenience. In the meantime, we will keep you posted

I dunno. I have the sneaking suspicion that they're non-responders since my subs have been with them over eight months and counting.

I worry about the "problem with the company" bit.

tri

Mostly Harmless SuperModerator CaoPaux's Avatar
    Social media stopped Dec '12, and site is now gone completely.
    ICAO
    ---------

Censorship always defeats its own purpose, for it creates in the end the kind of society that is incapable of exercising real discretion. -- Henry Steele Commager
    Achievers strive for excellence. Perfectionists drive themselves to extinction. -- A Grapple A Day
    I've never known any trouble that an hour's reading didn't assuage. -- Charles DeSecondat

II 2016: 2017:

That explains it. Oye.