The AW Amazon Store
Buy Books by AWers!

Welcome to the AbsoluteWrite Water Cooler! Please read The Newbie Guide To Absolute Write

Thread: Lucky Excentrique Publishing

practical experience, FTW

Lucky Excentrique Publishing

http://www.luckyexcentrique.com

Someone recently sent me this link so I wanted to post it here anyway.

Their facebook page:
    https://www.facebook.com/LuckyExcentriquePublishing

Description from facebook as their website is hard to navigate:
    We are an e-book publishing company based in Portland, Oregon. We are devoted to working with talented and creative writers to bring quality e-books to the general public.

Description
    Have you worked months or years on a novel, only to have countless agents and publishers reject it? Do you want marketing and publicity that most publishers do not provide? Then Lucky Excentrique Publishing is for you.

With competition stiffer than ever in the writing business, it is hard for an unrecognized author to receive attention. At Lucky Excentrique Publishing, we are devoted to working with unknown writers to produce quality e-books.

We also publish an anthology featuring short stories and poetry, Quirk of Simplicity. All profits go to charity.
    I found out they use printing services of:
    http://www.magcloud.com/

And are run by a teenager from this group:
    http://figment.com/groups/7328-Lucky...que-Publishing

I'm guessing one to avoid then?

Ok well this is one definitely to be wary of

http://figment.com/topics/203524-Hav...sh-your-novel-

Oregon. We have no employees, currently, since it's a small independent company. And as for offices, right here
    Yes, advances are used by traditional publishers, but we like to think our writers aren't in it for the money. Obviously, none of them can make a living off of this, but this is directed towards teens who just want to get their words out there.

It sounds like a perfume.
    http://www.staciakane.com

FIVE DOWN, a Downside anthology, available now!
    Four previously published short stories and one brand new novella, together in one volume.

Click here for more details.

WRONG WAYS DOWN available now!

volitare nequeo AW Moderator veinglory's Avatar
    Her profile says she is thirteen. So I foresee a problem with creating binding contracts, amongst other things.
    Emily Veinglory

Quote Originally Posted by veinglory View Post
    Her profile says she is thirteen. So I foresee a problem with creating binding contracts, amongst other things.
    Is it possible this is a school project and not meant to be an actual publisher?
    Changing Gears (available now) -- Winning the race doesn’t equal winning at life.

The DragonSpawn Cycle: AutumnQuest | WinterMaejic | SpringFire | SummerDanse available for Kindle

Author website | Author blog

Quote Originally Posted by Terie View Post
    Is it possible this is a school project and not meant to be an actual publisher?
    No I don't think so. She says in one of her groups she's in the process of getting the company registered in Oregon and she's advertising for novel submissions and creating an anthology.

This reminds me of those teen web hosts that came out a few years ago.

practical experience, FTW htrent's Avatar
    Pretty good at copy writing for a prepubescent, though, huh?

The King and Queen of Cheese BenPanced's Avatar
    Pretty smart for a 13-year-old, playing on the basic fears of n00bs:

Have you worked months or years on a novel, only to have countless agents and publishers reject it? Do you want marketing and publicity that most publishers do not provide? Then Lucky Excentrique Publishing is for you.

With competition stiffer than ever in the writing business, it is hard for an unrecognized author to receive attention. At Lucky Excentrique Publishing, we are devoted to working with unknown writers to produce quality e-books.

We also publish an anthology featuring short stories and poetry, Quirk of Simplicity. All profits go to charity.
    BEWARE: serious lime green ahead.

Troubling discussion in the Figment link above. Somebody asked some hard questions and the responses became typically petulant before the thread was closed.
    Last edited by BenPanced; 05-22-2012 at 09:09 AM.
    I still poop rainbows.

I won't steal any of your ideas. I have enough of my own I'm not using.

Ben, I think it's a bit unfair to call the responses in the Figment link petulant (or maybe I'm just hardened by the regular BRBC cries of "Karma", "You only say that because you're all anonymous", "Publishers talk, you know" and "Rather than speculating, why don't you ask?").

This has disaster written all over it. If she, or her parents, or whoever is signing the documents are reading this, please, for the love of everything, make it clear on your website that this is a "by teens, for teens" operation which should not be confused with a "proper" publishing house (ie, one which pays my gas bill).

Board Visitor
    As a professional enterprise - this has disaster written all over

But I'm still impressed if there is a 13 year old kid behind it.

This will fail - but as long as she learns a few things then she could be a force to be reckoned with in a decade's time.

If you stop thinking about it as a publishing company and start thinking of it as a good old fashioned teenage-run zine (but with books instead) - then it sounds like a laudable enterprise.

Good on 'em.

Mac
    (PS: Who ran across an old copy of 'The Mars Archaeological Society' recently.. Ahh .. Those were the days.)

Quote Originally Posted by Mac H. View Post
    As a professional enterprise - this has disaster written all over

But I'm still impressed if there is a 13 year old kid behind it.

This will fail - but as long as she learns a few things then she could be a force to be reckoned with in a decade's time.

If you stop thinking about it as a publishing company and start thinking of it as a good old fashioned teenage-run zine (but with books instead) - then it sounds like a laudable enterprise.

Good on 'em.
    While her enterprisingness is undeniably laudable, I don't think it's right to commend her (and/or whoever is advising her). When the whole thing goes down in flames, as it inevitably will, it will take down the rights and dreams of other people with it.

The failure of a publisher hurts more than just the principal(s) of the company. It hurts writers. Which is what this forum at AW is all about: helping writers to get informed about publishers so they can make the best possible decisions about their work.

As for me, I can't commend someone whose business risk means hurting other people.
    Changing Gears (available now) -- Winning the race doesn’t equal winning at life.

The DragonSpawn Cycle: AutumnQuest | WinterMaejic | SpringFire | SummerDanse available for Kindle

Author website | Author blog

practical experience, FTW Silver-Midnight's Avatar
    rising from the depths of a cup of coffee
    Yeah, I'm joining the "this looks bad" group too. This just has a bad vibe all over it.

volitare nequeo AW Moderator veinglory's Avatar
    It is a good case in point for illustrating that it is unwise to judge a publisher by first impressions of the website.
    Emily Veinglory

Your Genial Uncle Absolute Sage James D. Macdonald's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by tpridgen View Post
    Pretty good at copy writing for a prepubescent, though, huh?
    It reads like a compilation of Greatest Red Flags of the Eighties.

Seriously, "publisher" is not an entry-level position.

I think she may get bored of this in 6 months lol. And I agree with you about publisher not being an entry level position.

I noticed she compares business to http://www.pubslush.com/.

Mostly Harmless SuperModerator CaoPaux's Avatar
    Updating URL: http://purplestar.wix.com/lucky-excentrique-publishing

Although the first volume of the anthology was published, there's no sign of the second mentioned here, nor of any activity after mid-'12.
    ICAO
    ---------
    Achievers strive for excellence. Perfectionists drive themselves to extinction. -- A Grapple A Day
    I've never known any trouble that an hour's reading didn't assuage. -- Charles DeSecondat

II 2016: 2017: