• Guest please check The Index before starting a thread.

Bestseller Society

Bubastes

bananaed
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.gracewen.com
This popped up on my radar via Rachelle Gardner's blog.

The Society is made up of three academies: the Marketing Academy led by Thomas, The fiction Academy led by Jeff, and the Nonfiction Academy led by Mary. Each academy is $37 a month, but you can become a Mastermind by joining all three for $55.

Yes, that's a recurring monthly subscription fee.

http://www.rachellegardner.com/2012/05/the-bestseller-society/

Link to the website here. http://www.bestsellersociety.com/

It looks rather slick, but my AW spidey-sense doesn't feel good about this. :side eyes:

Last edited:

frolzagain

Registered
Reaction score
I got a bad feeling about this too. Agents charging writers fees for services never sits well with me. Especially with a fee that high.

htrent

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.holleytrent.com
I got goggle-eyed at this:

Thomas Umstattd runs the Marketing Academy. He’s uniquely qualified because:

1. Thomas is still in his twenties (oh the energy!), Thomas has pioneered several successful companies.

I couldn't tell if she was being sarcastic at first.

BenPanced

THE BLUEBERRY QUEEN OF HADES (he/him)
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Yeah, I'm looking at the page on their Fiction Academy:

In summary the Fiction Academy helps you:
  • Write and publish your novel
  • Understand the publishing revolution we’re living in
  • Join other novelists on the same path you're on
  • Become a publishing insider
  • Craft incredible characters
  • Form irresistible plots
  • Master the skills and disciplines of fictions
  • Cancel at any time with 1 click
Probably just an online version of something you could find at your local community ed or even here, but that last point really makes me want to consider it! I've never been too successful with that.

Last edited:

Pinguicha

Has the cutest cat in the world!
Registered
Reaction score
Website
pinguicha.wordpress.com
From what I've read so far, I wouldn't touch them with a ten feet pole. Sounds really shady, to be honest.

Stacia Kane

Girl Detective
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.staciakane.com
I got a bad feeling about this too. Agents charging writers fees for services never sits well with me. Especially with a fee that high.

Is Rachelle actually involved? I'm not clear from looking at the post that she's actually part of the company.

Either way I admit to being rather shocked that she would effectively endorse them by allowing the guest post on her blog (it's not written by her), but I do want to be clear that from what I see--admittedly only a quick look--it doesn't appear that she actually stands to profit from it.

If I'm wrong though...

Soccer Mom

Crypto-fascist
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
The guest blogger who post about this is one of Rachelle's long-time clients. I'm not sure I would call this "shady" but there are all sorts of graditions between shady and not helpful. I don't see anything being offered that I can't find elsewhere for free or do on my own.

frolzagain

Registered
Reaction score
Is Rachelle actually involved? I'm not clear from looking at the post that she's actually part of the company.

Either way I admit to being rather shocked that she would effectively endorse them by allowing the guest post on her blog (it's not written by her), but I do want to be clear that from what I see--admittedly only a quick look--it doesn't appear that she actually stands to profit from it.

If I'm wrong though...

I can't tell if she is actually involved. She hasn't responded to the people questioning that on the post. I can't imagine why she would allow someone to post something like that unless she stood to gain something from it. The whole thing just seems strange. I had her down as one of the good guys. This kind of stuff makes me question that. I wish she would clarify things a bit. Honestly, none of the people involved have credentials that are that impressive to me and marketing their pay-to-use site as a way for a writer to become a best selling author is just not good business ethics to me.

shadowwalker

empty-nester!
Registered
Reaction score
I was surprised she had it on there as well. Glorified spam, IMHO. I looked up these folks and frankly, I wouldn't do business with any of them as individuals, let alone as a group doing nothing more than I can get here and other forums/blogs/sites/books... elsewhere. And that fee is outrageous. Claim to save you hundreds in services, etc - but after paying hundreds just to be a member? I don't think so.

BenPanced

THE BLUEBERRY QUEEN OF HADES (he/him)
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I can't tell if she is actually involved. She hasn't responded to the people questioning that on the post. I can't imagine why she would allow someone to post something like that unless she stood to gain something from it. The whole thing just seems strange. I had her down as one of the good guys. This kind of stuff makes me question that. I wish she would clarify things a bit. Honestly, none of the people involved have credentials that are that impressive to me and marketing their pay-to-use site as a way for a writer to become a best selling author is just not good business ethics to me.

I don't know if it's personal gain -- I can only speculate and that tends to annoy people -- but she might know some of the people involved and is just doing them a favor, y'know?

Captcha

Banned
Reaction score
I think it's off the blog - I looked for it again last night, and again this morning, but couldn't find it.

Maybe Rachelle thought better of it? It seemed skeevy to me, too.

frolzagain

Registered
Reaction score
I don't know if it's personal gain -- I can only speculate and that tends to annoy people -- but she might know some of the people involved and is just doing them a favor, y'know?

I thought about that as well, but if I had a friend doing something shady, I wouldn't let them post about it on my blog. It is possible she had a moment of bad judgement, though. Happens to everyone on occasion.

jaksen

Caped Codder
Registered
Reaction score
In MA, USA, across from a 17th century cemetery
Darn, couldn't find it either and I'd been following this subject with some interest. I even posted a comment on the page. But I got this:

Sorry, the page your requested could not be found, or no longer exists.

Ari Meermans

MacAllister's Official Minion & Greeter
Registered
Reaction score
I'd watched waiting for a comment from Rachelle. Any comment. I didn't see one before the page was taken down. I wish she had.