The AW Amazon Store
Buy Books by AWers!

Welcome to the AbsoluteWrite Water Cooler! Please read The Newbie Guide To Absolute Write

Thread: Bestseller Society

Bestseller Society

This popped up on my radar via Rachelle Gardner's blog.

The Society is made up of three academies: the Marketing Academy led by Thomas, The fiction Academy led by Jeff, and the Nonfiction Academy led by Mary. Each academy is $37 a month, but you can become a Mastermind by joining all three for $55.
    Yes, that's a recurring monthly subscription fee.

http://www.rachellegardner.com/2012/...eller-society/

Link to the website here. http://www.bestsellersociety.com/

It looks rather slick, but my AW spidey-sense doesn't feel good about this. :side eyes:
    Last edited by Bubastes; 05-21-2012 at 12:52 AM. Reason: added bolding

practical experience, FTW frolzagain's Avatar
    I got a bad feeling about this too. Agents charging writers fees for services never sits well with me. Especially with a fee that high.
    I occasionally blog about writing http://alysonburdette.blogspot.com/

Check out my book, Nightfire, here!

practical experience, FTW htrent's Avatar
    I got goggle-eyed at this:

Thomas Umstattd runs the Marketing Academy. He’s uniquely qualified because:

1. Thomas is still in his twenties (oh the energy!), Thomas has pioneered several successful companies.
    I couldn't tell if she was being sarcastic at first.

The King and Queen of Cheese BenPanced's Avatar
    Yeah, I'm looking at the page on their Fiction Academy:

In summary the Fiction Academy helps you:
    • Write and publish your novel
    • Understand the publishing revolution we’re living in
    • Join other novelists on the same path you're on
    • Become a publishing insider
    • Craft incredible characters
    • Form irresistible plots
    • Master the skills and disciplines of fictions
    • Cancel at any time with 1 click
    Probably just an online version of something you could find at your local community ed or even here, but that last point really makes me want to consider it! I've never been too successful with that.
    Last edited by BenPanced; 05-21-2012 at 06:21 AM.
    I still poop rainbows.

I won't steal any of your ideas. I have enough of my own I'm not using.

Has the cutest cat in the world! Pinguicha's Avatar
    From what I've read so far, I wouldn't touch them with a ten feet pole. Sounds really shady, to be honest.
    My blog
    Tumblr
    Goodreads

Wish Upon A Star (Contemporary YA): 56k - Revising

The Road to Hell (Epic Fantasy YA): 9546/100k+

Quote Originally Posted by frolzagain View Post
    I got a bad feeling about this too. Agents charging writers fees for services never sits well with me. Especially with a fee that high.

Is Rachelle actually involved? I'm not clear from looking at the post that she's actually part of the company.

Either way I admit to being rather shocked that she would effectively endorse them by allowing the guest post on her blog (it's not written by her), but I do want to be clear that from what I see--admittedly only a quick look--it doesn't appear that she actually stands to profit from it.

If I'm wrong though...
    http://www.staciakane.com

FIVE DOWN, a Downside anthology, available now!
    Four previously published short stories and one brand new novella, together in one volume.

Click here for more details.

WRONG WAYS DOWN available now!

Somebody posted that question in the blog.
    I still poop rainbows.

The guest blogger who post about this is one of Rachelle's long-time clients. I'm not sure I would call this "shady" but there are all sorts of graditions between shady and not helpful. I don't see anything being offered that I can't find elsewhere for free or do on my own.
    <clickety to see my books

Join us for the Absolute Write-in #AWritein

Marguerite Says...Microwave Peanut Butter Fudge

I also Twitter & Facebook

People think I’m disciplined. It is not discipline. It is devotion. There is a great difference ~Luciano Pavarotti

Quote Originally Posted by Stacia Kane View Post
    Is Rachelle actually involved? I'm not clear from looking at the post that she's actually part of the company.

Either way I admit to being rather shocked that she would effectively endorse them by allowing the guest post on her blog (it's not written by her), but I do want to be clear that from what I see--admittedly only a quick look--it doesn't appear that she actually stands to profit from it.

If I'm wrong though...
    I can't tell if she is actually involved. She hasn't responded to the people questioning that on the post. I can't imagine why she would allow someone to post something like that unless she stood to gain something from it. The whole thing just seems strange. I had her down as one of the good guys. This kind of stuff makes me question that. I wish she would clarify things a bit. Honestly, none of the people involved have credentials that are that impressive to me and marketing their pay-to-use site as a way for a writer to become a best selling author is just not good business ethics to me.

I was surprised she had it on there as well. Glorified spam, IMHO. I looked up these folks and frankly, I wouldn't do business with any of them as individuals, let alone as a group doing nothing more than I can get here and other forums/blogs/sites/books... elsewhere. And that fee is outrageous. Claim to save you hundreds in services, etc - but after paying hundreds just to be a member? I don't think so.
    Je suis Charlie

"It seems rather like wanting to be ... a writer, rather than wanting to write. It should be a by-product, not a thing in itself. Otherwise, it's just an ego trip." - Roger Zelazny

Passion is easy; commitment is hard.

Quote Originally Posted by frolzagain View Post
    I can't tell if she is actually involved. She hasn't responded to the people questioning that on the post. I can't imagine why she would allow someone to post something like that unless she stood to gain something from it. The whole thing just seems strange. I had her down as one of the good guys. This kind of stuff makes me question that. I wish she would clarify things a bit. Honestly, none of the people involved have credentials that are that impressive to me and marketing their pay-to-use site as a way for a writer to become a best selling author is just not good business ethics to me.
    I don't know if it's personal gain -- I can only speculate and that tends to annoy people -- but she might know some of the people involved and is just doing them a favor, y'know?
    I still poop rainbows.

Hmmm... I think I disagree. Captcha's Avatar
    I think it's off the blog - I looked for it again last night, and again this morning, but couldn't find it.

Maybe Rachelle thought better of it? It seemed skeevy to me, too.

Quote Originally Posted by BenPanced View Post
    I don't know if it's personal gain -- I can only speculate and that tends to annoy people -- but she might know some of the people involved and is just doing them a favor, y'know?
    I thought about that as well, but if I had a friend doing something shady, I wouldn't let them post about it on my blog. It is possible she had a moment of bad judgement, though. Happens to everyone on occasion.

In MA, USA, across from a 17th century cemetery
    Darn, couldn't find it either and I'd been following this subject with some interest. I even posted a comment on the page. But I got this:

Sorry, the page your requested could not be found, or no longer exists.
    Latest story in December 2013 issue of EQMM.

Eeyore was saying to himself, “This writing business. Pencils and what-not. Over-rated if you ask me. Silly stuff. Nothing in it.” A.A. Milne

MacAllister's Official Minion & Greeter AW Moderator Ari Meermans's Avatar
    I'd watched waiting for a comment from Rachelle. Any comment. I didn't see one before the page was taken down. I wish she had.
    Resources for Promoting on AbsoluteWrite:

The fact she's taken it down says a lot. Put it down to being human.
    Je suis Charlie

"It seems rather like wanting to be ... a writer, rather than wanting to write. It should be a by-product, not a thing in itself. Otherwise, it's just an ego trip." - Roger Zelazny

Passion is easy; commitment is hard.

Mostly Harmless SuperModerator CaoPaux's Avatar
    In mid '15, began redirecting to subpages of Umstattd's Author Media. Current URL: http://www.authormedia.com/book-mark...eller-society/
    ICAO
    ---------
    Achievers strive for excellence. Perfectionists drive themselves to extinction. -- A Grapple A Day
    I've never known any trouble that an hour's reading didn't assuage. -- Charles DeSecondat

II 2016: 2017: