Father of the year nominee.

Vince524

Are you gonna finish that bacon?
Registered
Reaction score
Website
vincentmorrone.com
So clearly, there's something wrong with this guy and the situation as a whole, but what can be done about it? Is there anything that legally can be done, beyond what they're doing with his paychecks?

a Tennessee man who has fathered 30 children is asking the courts for a break on child support.

The state already takes half his paycheck and divides it up, which doesn't amount to much when Hatchett is making only minimum wage. Some of the moms receive as little as $1.49 a month. The oldest child is 14 years old.

blacbird

Registered
Reaction score
Sadly, there's really nothing that can be done about it. I saw this story a couple of days ago, and it just left me with a headache. Worst of it is, I'd bet the actual number of children he fathered, and the actual number of women he fathered with, is even higher, and nobody will ever know.

And the women involved ain't exactly absolved of culpability.

And I'll also bet he ain't anywhere near stopping.

caw

JohnnyGottaKeyboard

Who let this guy in...?
Registered
Reaction score
On the rooftoop where he climbed when the laughter
This photo sums up the problem for me:

z11756328X,Desmond-Hatchett.jpg

Perhaps if Knox County wasn't promoting this like some sort of Guiness event, people wouldn't be trying to break the record. Is there a prize?

Gregg

Life is good
Registered
Reaction score
Sadly, there's really nothing that can be done about it. I saw this story a couple of days ago, and it just left me with a headache. Worst of it is, I'd bet the actual number of children he fathered, and the actual number of women he fathered with, is even higher, and nobody will ever know.

And the women involved ain't exactly absolved of culpability.

And I'll also bet he ain't anywhere near stopping.

caw

Unfortunately, spot on.

There might be an opportunity here to make an example of this guy..a teaching moment....somehow, I doubt it will happen.

Don

All Living is Local
Registered
Reaction score
“Bailiff, whack his pee pee!”

missesdash

You can't sit with us!
Registered
Reaction score
This kind of thing makes me understand why there was ever a widespread eugenics movement in the US.

Fins Left

Registered
Reaction score
what can be done about it?

Make him the primary baby-sitter for every one of those women. Once he's put in 30 hours a week 'baby sitting' his kids, he'll quit making more.

ETA: ON another note... dating is gonna be really dodgy in that town with 30 kids from the same father... "Who's your daddy?" may end up as more than just sex talk in the next couple years.

Alpha Echo

I should be writing.
Registered
Reaction score
Wow. What an...idiot? Ass? Not sue. But those kids deserve more.

Bookewyrme

Imagined half of it.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
bookewyrme.straydreamers.com
I saw this story the other day, and just had to go "Bwah? :Wha:"
But what really blows my mind is that the guy looks so young! I mean, I'd guess he's 30 at maximum, and probably more like mid-20's. Can you imagine how many more children he might father in the coming years if he doesn't learn to use some birth-control? Though, I would suspect with all the publicity he'll start to get a reputation and find it harder to impregnate random women, one way or another. At least one might hope.

And yea, those poor kids do deserve better. Can you imagine having 29 half-siblings?

blacbird

Registered
Reaction score

Gale Haut

waxing digital artistic
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.galehaut.com
Then please explain to me why this concept:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eugenics

has anything to do with the current thread topic, other than implied racism.

caw

Easy enough.

Referring to eugenics in this context could easily apply to population control practices such as sterilization and selective breeding. The word eugenics doesn't have to be racist.

It can be a loaded word that can be Godwin'd by it's Nazism connotation. So I understand why you felt that way. But I'm pretty sure that since I already made a vasectomy joke earlier in the thread, it's more likely she was referring, as a joke, to social sterilization based on this man's proven negative traits as a father.

:Shrug:

Fins Left

Registered
Reaction score
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eugenics

has anything to do with the current thread topic, other than implied racism.

I personally took it as a counter-action to creating their own local implementation of the movie Idiocracy. (But, given this guy's reproduction record, I wonder how long it will take before Idiocracy is taken out of the 'fiction' realm and moved over to 'documentary')

Gale Haut

waxing digital artistic
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.galehaut.com
*Methinks* blacbird was referring to America's (especially North Carolina's) past use of eugenics to forcibly sterilize poor, mainly black, women in the early 20th century.

It was arguably driven by racism and eugenics has since carried the baggage of horrific racism with it, at least in the South.

All I'm saying...

This is an international forum and some words carry different weight depending on where and what cultural perspective you're writing from. It's not that huge of a leap to assume that the OP in question wasn't being racist. And I think it a necessary courtesy to assume the best of people on these boards whenever possible.

J.S.F.

Red fish, blue fish...
Registered
Reaction score
The man is 33, makes minimum wage, and while there's no law against having babies, there should be a law against stupidity. Then again, we'd have to put half the world's population in jail if it came to that.

Don't be silly, wrap the willy! I just feel sorry for the children as they'll have to bear the brunt of it all for the next few years of their lives if not their whole lives. I'm also sort of appalled the women who probably knew he was boinking someone else wanted to sleep with him. The sad thing is, the state will have to cough up the cash for the kids sooner or later.

JohnnyGottaKeyboard

Who let this guy in...?
Registered
Reaction score
On the rooftoop where he climbed when the laughter
Though, I would suspect with all the publicity he'll start to get a reputation and find it harder to impregnate random women, one way or another. At least one might hope.
Yeah, I think he goes after a different sort of woman. The kind who would considering bearing Baby #50 the key to fame and quite an accomplishment to boot.

On a more serious note, we have to start making these young people learn about responsibility (and consequences). He really should not ever be allowed a spare dime; every cent should be divvied up between those kids.