Welcome to the AbsoluteWrite Water Cooler! Please read The Newbie Guide To Absolute Write

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Joe Konrath issues challenge to fisk his latest blog entry or any of his blog entries.

Joe Konrath issues challenge to fisk his latest blog entry or any of his blog entries.

http://jakonrath.blogspot.com/2012/0...09850467972064

Challenge issued in comments section by Joe Konrath at 2:07 AM near the end of the comments.

Any takers?
    Last edited by Draco; 05-19-2012 at 04:45 PM.

I'm writing. Undistractable. mccardey's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Draco View Post

Challenge issued in comments section by Joe Konrath at 2:07 AM near the end of the comments.

Any takers?
    You're really intrigued by this Konrath thing, aren't you?
    Last edited by mccardey; 05-19-2012 at 04:29 PM.

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by mccardey View Post
    You're really intrigued by this Konrath thing, aren't you?
    Yes I am.

Read his comment and you may be intrigued as well.

They've been very bad, Mr Flibble Mr Flibble's Avatar
    We couldn't possibly do that. Who'd clear up the mess?
    Oh, I see he quoted me...I suppose that makes me a pinhead to him. How flattering. I shall have a t shirt made. (ETA: Where's my attribution, huh? huh? )

It's an opinion. He's allowed one, same as I'm allowed mine. Oh well.

I see he asks us to respond to his points etc*. Can't be arsed, tbh. If he wants to do this, that's great. If other people want to listen to him, that's their prerogative. My only point was this: If you want to self publish, read widely about it. He says that AW is all 'Nyah nyah', but he's nothing but 'rah rah'. You (proto-self-publishing person) need to see all POVs on this.

Read. Learn. Make up your own mind.

*ETA I did respond to ask that IF he's going to quote me, he should include the most salient part, which I then added.
    Last edited by Mr Flibble; 05-19-2012 at 04:50 PM.

"Fade to Black is a dynamic and original introduction to a world and character that promise further exciting stories". British Fantasy Society

The series has grown in complexity since the beginning, reaches a profoundly moving conclusion that is both unexpected and entirely satisfying - Publisher's Weekly

Twitter

Your Genial Uncle Absolute Sage James D. Macdonald's Avatar
    ...or any of his blog entries.
    Already been done.

A long time since.

Me? Not interested enough in Konrath to even look at his blog.

The colors! THE COLORS! leahzero's Avatar
    When this guy learns how to write a succinct, focused, non-ranting journal entry, I'll give him another shot.

I don't have time to read 3400 words of crazy.
    UNTEACHABLE
    BLACK IRIS
    CAMGIRL - 2015
    Untitled Book #4 - 2016-ish

My self-publishing saga, in all its gory detail, is here.

Queen of the Upmarket Bagladies HoneyBadger's Avatar
    My advice to writers: stop being stupid.

Publishing Culture is guaranteed to end, and when it does everyone will be better off.

Well, everyone except the gatekeepers. But don't cry for them. They never cried for you.
    I think I'll just keep being stupid, as being stupid in pursuing a stupid traditional writing career via trade and journal publishing is what will help my stupid writing career so I can win the stupid Orange Prize and make stupid money.

I'm writing. Undistractable. mccardey's Avatar
    I read it! (most of it)

So, now I know who Mr Konrath is, and although that's fifteen minutes of my life I'm not going to get back again, can I just quote his statement -

If some legacy publisher gave me 1.5 million for a book, I'd take it.
    and add -

Me too, Mr K!

Oh, me too!

Last edited by mccardey; 05-19-2012 at 06:03 PM.

They've been very bad, Mr Flibble Mr Flibble's Avatar
    We couldn't possibly do that. Who'd clear up the mess?
    Quote Originally Posted by leahzero View Post
    When this guy learns how to write a succinct, focused, non-ranting journal entry, I'll give him another shot.

I don't have time to read 3400 words of crazy.
    Yup.

I think he has a point in that writers should really think about contracts etc. He's taken a contract from Amazon which he finds appealing. Others may well find contracts with Big Six appealing, for their own reasons. That's up to them, and I lose him when he bashes authors who are taking a contract that works for them.

Sadly any good points are lost in a landslide of:

"Fade to Black is a dynamic and original introduction to a world and character that promise further exciting stories". British Fantasy Society

The series has grown in complexity since the beginning, reaches a profoundly moving conclusion that is both unexpected and entirely satisfying - Publisher's Weekly

Twitter

One thing he's got down pat - how to tell people what they want to hear. Or is it fooling some of the people all of the time. Or... something...

But yeah - I prefer being my kind of stupid to his kind.
    Je suis Charlie

"It seems rather like wanting to be ... a writer, rather than wanting to write. It should be a by-product, not a thing in itself. Otherwise, it's just an ego trip." - Roger Zelazny

Passion is easy; commitment is hard.

resident curmudgeon
    God, who cares what Konrath says? It's all opinion. He should spend more time writing, and less time issuing challenges.

Your Genial Uncle Absolute Sage James D. Macdonald's Avatar
    Publishing Culture is guaranteed to end, and when it does everyone will be better off.

Well, everyone except the gatekeepers. But don't cry for them. They never cried for you.
    Oh, does he mean the people who nurture the careers of young authors, including the young Joe Konrath?

MacAllister's Official Minion & Greeter AW Moderator Ari Meermans's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Jamesaritchie View Post
    God, who cares what Konrath says? It's all opinion. He should spend more time writing, and less time issuing challenges.
    But he can't, you know. That blog is, at the very least, a big chunk of his marketing effort.

Isn't he on AW?
    My feature film WHY AM I IN A BOX? is now online! I wrote, directed, and acted in it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rzglH...ature=youtu.be

my IMDB page: http://www.imdb.com/name/nm2097751/

My decoupage shoes, now on Etsy:

https://www.etsy.com/shop/CeliaCyani...shop-info-name

Hello. My name is Inigo Montoya. kaitie's Avatar
    Pretty sure he was banned awhile back. Came and spouted some pretty nasty insults at the mods in the self-publishing forum, if I remember correctly. I could be wrong on that, though. He might have just been given a time out.

ETA: Just correcting myself to say I looked it up and he wasn't, so it was just a time-out. But yeah, he's here. He pops in sometimes.
    Last edited by kaitie; 05-19-2012 at 08:16 PM.
    "You will experience a tingling sensation and then death."

And just because it's still awesome: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zSgiXGELjbc

Take two: 90,008
    Current: 7,680

Cultus Gopherus MacAllister SuperModerator Medievalist's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Draco View Post

Any takers?
    He's already been pwnd.

Also? He's an not really in a position to pontificate regarding the history of publishing; publishing has at least a 3,000 year old history. It's still working just fine. The current publishing paradigm works so well that if I want to read something by Konrath, I have to look for it; I'm otherwise protected from his ramblings.

AW Admin
    About.Me
    AWers On Twitter
    Lisa L. Spangenberg
    My opinions are my own. | Who else would want them?

Sophipygian AW Moderator Alessandra Kelley's Avatar
    What does "fisk" mean?

all hail zombie babies! CrastersBabies's Avatar
    Seems like a great way to drum up site-traffic to this blog. I don't know the guy. Don't read his blog or posts or books (except glancing at his page for a few minutes now). If he's found a model that works for him, great. I read one post where he yells at his readers to get the F off his blog and websites and message boards and just WRITE, and then he baits people into coming to his website to debate with him?

Maybe he has a blog-monkey to do the net stuff for him.
    Maybe he has a clone.

I dunno. I never took to people thumping their chest on the internet in hopes of getting into an epic pissing contest. I'll pass. The people on this board (minus the few asshats which every board has) are pretty damn helpful and thoughtful. You get out of the board what you "put in," in terms of reading and educating yourself.

Again, don't read this guy's stuff. It could be that the more I read him, the more I agree with him. I'm just not interested seeing the few internet tantrums he's already had. Doesn't seem very professional to me. Maybe it's my loss.
    Last edited by CrastersBabies; 05-19-2012 at 09:40 PM.
    "That is hoity-toity nonsense." ~ Bufty

Quote Originally Posted by Alessandra Kelley View Post
    What does "fisk" mean?
    An odd way of spelling fish.

A Gentleman of a refined age... thothguard51's Avatar
    I wonder how many self published books Koranth buys and reads a month...
    Knowledge is learned while wisdom is earned.

Currently working on...

From, The Tales of Netherron,
    Book 1, A Game of Pawns
    Book 2, Pawn takes Queen,
    Book 3, Pawn's Gambit,

In the pipeline,
    Children of Netherron, follow up trilogy
    Guardians of Netherron, prequel trilogy

http://nickanthony51.wordpress.com (on hiatus)

Nick Anthony

Cultus Gopherus MacAllister SuperModerator Medievalist's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Xelebes View Post
    An odd way of spelling fish.
    No; it's a reference to a journalist named Robert Fisk.

It's from the early years of blogging history, roughly contemporary with Ken Layne's Its 2001, and we can Fact Check your ass.

AW Admin
    About.Me
    AWers On Twitter
    Lisa L. Spangenberg
    My opinions are my own. | Who else would want them?

Holding out for a Superhero... Sheryl Nantus's Avatar
    Brownsville, Pennsylvania. Or New Babbage, Second Life!
    Sounds like an attempt to encourage more visitors to his blog.

The visits have been dying down as of late as the devotees tend to discover there's not a golden pot o'gold at the end of the rainbow like Joe said.

*yawn*

Quote Originally Posted by IdiotsRUs View Post
    Oh, I see he quoted me...I suppose that makes me a pinhead to him. How flattering. I shall have a t shirt made. (ETA: Where's my attribution, huh? huh? )
    Ohhh, I will buy one of your shirts.

Attends The School of AW Alitriona's Avatar
    This is a classic case of someone believing their own hype. I have no interest in anyone with such blinkers on and this is him blowing more hot air about the evils of every way but how he tells people to publish. A route he doesn't follow himself.

I would love his sales but not his crazy distorted opinion of how he achieved them.

I wonder how good his sales are, since he keeps stirring up the blog pot to get more readers. When I first heard about him, I was impressed with his story (if not his actual writing). The more I read of his rants, the less I care.

Self-publishing works for some people, if they can spend the time on promotions. Ol' Joe lucked out because he already had street cred from his work with Hyperion. I guarantee you, his results are not typical. Folks who will not get rich off multi-level marketing, real estate, gold sales, Mary Kay, or Amway will not get Konrath-style returns from self-publishing. Not in the current economy.

Now, there's still a lot I don't like about the Big Six model, and even some of the standard operating procedures from the smaller, nimbler trade publishers. But I'm currently working with an e-pub for a niche market piece, and will be working with a 'tradtional' agent to sell some mainstream SF&F. I'm looking at self-publishing as a sales tool linked with those other efforts, not as a replacement.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast