AW Amazon Store

If this site is helpful to you,
Please consider a voluntary subscription to defray ongoing expenses.

Welcome to the AbsoluteWrite Water Cooler! Please read The Newbie Guide To Absolute Write

Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast

Thread: [Agency] The Blair Partnership

practical experience, FTW

[Agency] The Blair Partnership

Does anyone have experience with the Blair Partnership? I just received a full request.

but appreciated anyway... Unimportant's Avatar
    Can you provide a website url?

http://www.theblairpartnership.com/
    This is the website.

I know that they represent JK Rowling and are members of the AAA (British AAR).

The Blair Partnership is a new agency. Neil Blair was the lawyer who looked after J.K.Rowling at Christopher Little.

I received a full request in March, but haven't heard anything since. The woman who I dealt with was very nice and wonderfully helpful, though.

Their website says to send ten pages along with a cover letter -- does anyone know if these ten pages are to be attached or embedded?

Thanks.
    Richard

It was that bastard manís voice that woke my father. Papu found himself back in his cell, lying atop a lush bed crafted of various male and female organs and his enemy's passions. Strong with that bastard manís magic, the organs restrained Papu and sensually rubbed against him. Some xxxxxxx him and some xxxxxx with his xxxxxxx.

Poetry and Jest

Quote Originally Posted by richcapo View Post
    Their website says to send ten pages along with a cover letter -- does anyone know if these ten pages are to be attached or embedded?

Thanks.
    I embedded mine and approx. 2 months later got a full request.

Thanks. I'll give it a go.
    Richard

It was that bastard manís voice that woke my father. Papu found himself back in his cell, lying atop a lush bed crafted of various male and female organs and his enemy's passions. Strong with that bastard manís magic, the organs restrained Papu and sensually rubbed against him. Some xxxxxxx him and some xxxxxx with his xxxxxxx.

Poetry and Jest

Quote Originally Posted by richcapo View Post
    Thanks. I'll give it a go.
    Good luck! -- Just so you know, Richard- when they asked for the full, they also requested a chapter-by-chapter breakdown synopsis of all the important things that happen in each chapter. I hadn't come across that in my requests before (only the short 1-2 page synopsis for those that had asked for one), so maybe it's something you want to put together if you don't have one.

Thanks for the encouragement and suggestions -- I'll get on those breakdowns asap.
    Richard

Poetry and Jest

I've checked the website, but could find no information on submitting.

Quote Originally Posted by RJLeahy View Post
    I've checked the website, but could find no information on submitting.
    http://www.theblairpartnership.com/faqs This page gives submission info.

Found it, thanks.

I sent them a sample chapter and my synopsis two weeks ago (not knowing what they ask for) and they got back asking for the first three chapters and a breakdown.

I pretty much sent them the same thing with the exception of chapter two and three. I figure my synopsis which is 2 and a half pages is the breakdown (beginning, middle and end) and in good detail of the novel. I hope that was okay.

I'm wondering since I sent the first chapter and the syn. why they didn't just request the full. Would anyone know why that is?

Do you address the query to a particular agent? Hard to tell from the website.

No, they just said "we" would be interested in seeing the first three chapters and breakdown thing. It was Liz from the submission department, but I figure when they say "we" there will be a few of them looking at it.

The only new thing they're seeing is chap. 2 and 3. Unless they wanted a more detail breakdown then what I had for my synopsis. If that's the case, why not just give the full a try? Ya know?

not napping... brainstorming! TudorRose's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Undercover View Post
    No, they just said "we" would be interested in seeing the first three chapters and breakdown thing. It was Liz from the submission department, but I figure when they say "we" there will be a few of them looking at it.

The only new thing they're seeing is chap. 2 and 3. Unless they wanted a more detail breakdown then what I had for my synopsis. If that's the case, why not just give the full a try? Ya know?
    Fingers crossed for you

Were you able to submit requested material by email, or did they ask for hard copy to be snailed?

Email-- and for mine, I addressed it to Mr. Blair since he seemed to be the one person with the specific title of literary agent at the agency.

For my chapter breakdown, I went all out and wrote a sizable paragraph for each chapter indicating the main things that happen in them. It ended up being several pages, but I figured I should play is safe and give them too detailed rather than not enough detail that they wanted.

I also addressed my query to Mr. Blair and heard back from Liz, who I believe is the person primarily in charge of the slush.

Received a request back from Liz for the full, plus a chapter breakdown. I had mentioned in the query letter that I was presently at work on another novel and interestingly, she asked to see a synopsis of it as well, even though I explained that it was unfinished and unrelated to the other work.

They requested the first three chapters and a breakdown, like I mentioned. June 1st I sent it and by the 19th, I recieved an email with their decline. They gave me a nice detailed message why and complimented me on my work.

It was actually a nice rejection. Very professional and I liked the fact I knew why they were passing on it.

Good Luck to everyone else in the thread, hopefully you guys will have better luck!

Quote Originally Posted by Undercover View Post
    They requested the first three chapters and a breakdown, like I mentioned. June 1st I sent it and by the 19th, I recieved an email with their decline. They gave me a nice detailed message why and complimented me on my work.

It was actually a nice rejection. Very professional and I liked the fact I knew why they were passing on it.

Good Luck to everyone else in the thread, hopefully you guys will have better luck!
    Thanks for sharing! That's great that they gave you specifics. Good luck as you continue to query!

New Fish; Learning About Thick Skin

Waiting

Hello. Been following this thread for a bit and thought I'd share my situation. I've been waiting two months on a response for an exclusive full from TBP...should I wait three months to contact them, because after I sent the requested full, I've yet to receive a response that says they got it. I emailed them a week ago simply to ask if they had gotten the material, but no response yet.

I absolutely love everything I've read about Blair, and Liz has been kind and receptive. Should I wait three months and then email again?

Quote Originally Posted by JohnMaravich View Post
    Hello. Been following this thread for a bit and thought I'd share my situation. I've been waiting two months on a response for an exclusive full from TBP...should I wait three months to contact them, because after I sent the requested full, I've yet to receive a response that says they got it. I emailed them a week ago simply to ask if they had gotten the material, but no response yet.

I absolutely love everything I've read about Blair, and Liz has been kind and receptive. Should I wait three months and then email again?
    Just my opinion but months on an exclusive is just wrong. Look after your own interests and start querying other agents. It can take months and months for them to read it so don't worry about chasing them up, but you clearly have a great ms and you need to get it out there

Ready to kick the WIP's butt! Haunted_October's Avatar
    I sent a query and the first 10 pages + synopsis this morning and when I checked my email at lunchtime (8:20pm- I'm a second shifter), there was a request for a full from Zoe. Just sent it off!

Libby Bishop (romance writing alter-ego): twitter / blog

Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast