Getting People to Come to Your Facebook Page

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pearl

Registered
Reaction score
Forgive me if this has already been brought up, but how do you bring people to your Facebook page?

I certainly do not want to announce on FB to all my friends that I have a page set up for my authoring (is that a word?). That would mean I'll get a lot of people I know liking my page just because they know me, are friends with me, etc. I want genuine interest in my book, but how do I get strangers to my page?

BTW, if you check out my page, you'll notice it's quite empty because I do not know what to fill it with because I have no followers.

merrihiatt

Writing! Writing! Writing!
Absolute Sage
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
Website
merrihiatt.com
Not all of your friends will LIKE your page, only those who like your book(s) and/or want to support you. Making a single post about it would be fine. It's the people who post ten times a day that get annoying!

Do you have a website? If so, put a link to your Facebook page on it. Add a link to your signature line here at AW. Do you have an Author Central page set-up? If so, add a link there as well. Also, include a link at the end of your e-book.

Mclesh

It's too hot
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.storyrhyme.com
Pearl, I just "liked" your page. I'd appreciate if if you'd like mine back!

See, that's how you do it. :)

And I agree with Merri, if you announce your author page once, that's not going to bug anyone in your FB network. Just don't spam people. Those who want to like your page will, those who won't won't.

Pearl

Registered
Reaction score
Thanks, Mclesh. I liked yours too!

I didn't mean that ALL of my friends will like my page. It's just that when I announced on FB that I had finished my novel and was going to E-publish it, people I hadn't spoken to in months or years (yet I'm friends with them on FB) came out of nowhere to congratulate me. That shocked me because I didn't expect such a turnout. So, I was concerned that by announcing my FB page, those same people will like it.

Of course, now that I think about it, it was a very silly concern, LOL.

I'll check out Author Central, too. Thanks!

merrihiatt

Writing! Writing! Writing!
Absolute Sage
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
Website
merrihiatt.com
As far as content for your page, post excerpts, book covers, links to where your book can be purchased and let people know what you're working on now.

Last edited:

BubbleCow

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.bubblecow.net
The key to a Facebook page is to encourage interaction. The best was to do this is to ask questions. Start small with easy to answer questions - 'What's best Twilight or Harry Potter' and then, over time, open up your followers to more interesting questions.

As to driving people to your site - be bullish. Add a link to the sig of your email (or your bio in this forum), post questions on Facebook and the post the same question on Twitter with a link to your FB page. Make sure you have big link on your blog. Also log into FB as your page and then go and comment on other pages.

See if you can resist clicking this link...

http://www.facebook.com/BubbleCow

KellyC1

Registered
Reaction score
Hi Pearl, I was just working on my own Facebook page when I read your question - thanks.
I have also liked your page, and your book cover looks great too!!

areteus

Registered
Reaction score
Facebook works on a spiderweb network model...

You have a list of friends. You send a link to them.

Your friends each have their own list of friends. They send the link on to them.

Their friends also each have their own list of friends and they send the link on...

Ok, a lot of the friends will overlap (because people your friends know are people you also know and so on...) and there are many who won't bother to repost the link or are not interested in what you have to say. However, by posting to your friends, you are quite likely to get strangers seeing your link. If you have something a lot of people are interested in it could go viral and that means a hell of a lot of people see it.

I recently wrote an article for a blog page about ghosts. It was a simple article, giving my personal opinions on a ghost photo. It was not posted on my blog but on a blog about paranormal stuff. I posted a link to it on facebook. The owner of the blog posted it on his facebook. Not long after that, the stats for the blog showed over a thousand hits for that post alone (normal hits for that site are around a hundred or so per day). The link had gone viral and we were getting hits from all over the world.

We suspect, BTW, that the reason that article was so popular was because it was a 'cool picture' and absolutely nothing to do with the genius of my writing :) And that is the key - find something to attract readers, make them want to come to you. Just posting the link may get some but if the content is not interesting (from the brief preview you get on facebook) many won't bother. Use a good title for your posts and good photos.

Many authors also use give aways and other treats to encourage likes. For example, they may set a target (if I get to 500 likes by this deadline...) and then say what they are going to do (...I will release an exclusive preview of my next novel... or, I will give a prize to the 500th liker or something...). This encourages people to post your links themselves in order to encourage them to like and therefore up that total to the target before the deadline. Be careful with this, however, as too much is likely to get you seen as a spammer...

Pearl

Registered
Reaction score
Hi Pearl, I was just working on my own Facebook page when I read your question - thanks.
I have also liked your page, and your book cover looks great too!!

Thanks Kelly! I liked your page back!

T.D. Dewmer

Creating Worlds; One Page At A Time
Registered
Reaction score
Website
tddewmer.webs.com
Hello Pearl, I was wondering the same thing and this thread has been helpful. By the way, I liked your facebook page!

Status
Not open for further replies.