Status
Not open for further replies.

Michael Drakich

A wanderer in the sea of publishing
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.michaeldrakich.wordpress.com
Okay, I've just released my second novel, but first as a self publish. The novel is professionally edited. My other novel is with a small publisher (and doing nothing).

I have decided on a campaign of getting as many book blogger reviews as possible. There are thousands of bloggers out there. Reading through their Review Policies, and only willing to send e-copies, I am having a success rate of only 1 in 4 who will consider my review request. The others I don't bother because they either want a hard copy, won't review self pub, or I just don't fit their criteria on what they review. I've been on this campaign for almost 2 months now and have sent out app 1,000 requests. To date I have app 60 confirmed will do and (though it's early) 3 reviews in, one 5 star and two 4 star. I'm just about at the end because I've read through 4,000 blogs and I'm fresh out of new bloggers. I was hoping for 100 reviews and I suspect a few more will trickle in over the 60 but that target of 100 may not be reached. Right now, it's about a 1.5% success rate when examining bloggers to getting a review.

I realize they are swamped for requests, and that established authors and publishers take precedence. Still, I had higher hopes for success.

Is there anyone else out there following a similar practice and to what success have you had?

ripple

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.nanonoodle.com
It sounds like you've done really well, actually.

I've heard that Librarything is a place where you can ask readers for a review of your book.

I've never tried it, but am thinking about it.

mshaw2268

Registered
Reaction score
Website
itsjustmarty.blogspot.com
Sounds like you're actually doing good with the responses. You might want to try The Indie Book Reviewers List if you're still looking for reviews. Reviewers listed have to be willing to review self-published and willing to review eBooks. It helps a lot with the screening process. Their link is http://www.theindieview.com/indie-reviewers/

eternalised

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
Website
majankaverstraete.com
That's actually a pretty good success rate. :) Wow, 1000 blogs contacted is a lot though! I'm surprised you never came past mine during your search :p

Something else you may consider are 'virtual book tours' set up by tour organizers. These are usually book bloggers themselves, and already have established contacts in the community. They tend to accept self-published books.

AnneGlynn

If you don't try, you can't fail
Registered
Reaction score
Website
anneglynn.com
I'm very impressed with your push for reviews. Like the others here, I think you've had strong success.

Let us know if reviews = sales, will you?

Michael Drakich

A wanderer in the sea of publishing
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.michaeldrakich.wordpress.com
Hi Majanka,

Thank you for the comment. I actually viewed some 4,000 sites to send out the 1,000 requests. The other 3,000 had review policies that restricted me. The reasons varied from, no ebooks, to no self-published, to no epic fantasy, to closed for requests, and a sundry list of other things.

I did review your site. Your Review Policy is quite clear.
http://iheartreading.net/review-policy/
As my review copies are strictly ebooks and I do not use NetGalley, I fall out of your main parameters. Your exception clause fails me as the genre for my book is Epic Fantasy. Yes, you go on that you will look at just about anything, but after all the earlier exemptions, my apologies, but I believed it would fall on deaf ears.

Saying that, you will now find my review request in your mailbox.

I will keep this thread updated as to how the campaign goes.

Status
Not open for further replies.