The AW Amazon Store
Buy books by AWers

Welcome to the AbsoluteWrite Water Cooler! Please read The Newbie Guide To Absolute Write

Thread: PoetWorks Press / Palmetto Scrubs Publishing

practical experience, FTW VeggieChick's Avatar

PoetWorks Press / Palmetto Scrubs Publishing

They claim to be a small press that publishes poetry anthologies. I sent them a few poems and they accepted one for publication in an upcoming themed book. However, the acceptance email is very general (Dear Author) and the attached contract doesn't even mention which poem they accepted. It also specifies that they will let me buy one copy of the book "at cost" plus additional copies at a 30% discount off the cover price. Average cover price for similar paperback anthologies (according to their website) is $19.99.

Are they legit or is this another poetry scam? Google doesn't turn up anything suspicious.

Preditors & Editors Requiescat In Pace DaveKuzminski's Avatar
    Did you see any of their anthologies for sale in a bookstore?

I'm overseas, so I haven't had a chance to check a bookstore. No English books here.
    Last edited by VeggieChick; 01-01-2006 at 07:53 AM.

I believe B&N, correction, Borders has a web page that lets you check whether they have a particular book in stock in any of their physical stores. Just pick a city, give the book info, and see what it states. If not and you picked a big enough city, then chances are it's a Poetry.com wannabe.
    Last edited by DaveKuzminski; 01-01-2006 at 08:29 AM.
    When it comes to PA, the royalty check and the reality check arrive in the same envelope.

Remember to be kind to writers who step in PA. They really don't know how bad it smells.

The difference between PA and WLA? None. Both have the stench of dead and dying books emanating from their doorways.

Your Genial Uncle Absolute Sage James D. Macdonald's Avatar
    A) Have you personally ever read one of their anthologies?

B) Do you recognize the names of any of the poets who appear in any of their anthologies?

C) Have any of the poems they've published been reprinted by other anthologies or magazines, or won any major awards?

D) Are they edited by someone who is well known as a poet, or as an editor?

Recogizing that self-publication is common among poets, is there a reason you're looking at these folks rather than printing and binding your own collection?

That's Borders, not B&N, so far as I know. Try the "search inventory" function at http://bordersstores.com/index.jsp

volitare nequeo AW Moderator veinglory's Avatar
    The steep cover price and lack of a free contributor's copy are warning signs.
    Emily Veinglory

Thank you, James, for the correction.
    When it comes to PA, the royalty check and the reality check arrive in the same envelope.

Remember to be kind to writers who step in PA. They really don't know how bad it smells.

The difference between PA and WLA? None. Both have the stench of dead and dying books emanating from their doorways.

Quote Originally Posted by VeggieChick
    It also specifies that they will let me buy one copy of the book "at cost" plus additional copies at a 30% discount off the cover price.

I've never heard of them, but the 'let me buy' part made my antennae rise.

$19.99 seems like an odd amount. The fact they didn't tell you which poem they accepted doesn't ring right either. Ask them for more information. Their response (or lack of response) may give you your answers.
    Eat right, exercise, die anyway.

Mostly Harmless SuperModerator CaoPaux's Avatar
    FWIW, PoetWorks Press is a subsidiary of Palmetto Scrubs Publishing. Pricey for a POD, IMO.

http://www.poetworks.com/palmettoscrubs.html
    ICAO
    ---------
    Achievers strive for excellence. Perfectionists drive themselves to extinction. -- A Grapple A Day
    I've never known any trouble that an hour's reading didn't assuage. -- Charles DeSecondat

II 2016: 2017:

It sounds a lot like what I went through with Poetry.com. I don't know if this is a scam or not, but I'd try to dig up some more information on them. Personally, I would pull my work if it's possible, and run far away. That's just my personal opinion, though.

The Arthurian Addict. FolkloreFanatic's Avatar
    The fact that they can't even be bothered to address the letter to your name or list the proper poem means you shouldn't work with them anyway, even if they ARE legit.

Quote Originally Posted by James D. Macdonald
    B) Do you recognize the names of any of the poets who appear in any of their anthologies?

C) Have any of the poems they've published been reprinted by other anthologies or magazines, or won any major awards?

Recogizing that self-publication is common among poets, is there a reason you're looking at these folks rather than printing and binding your own collection?

Actually, many of the poets published in their anthologies seem well-known, including Yale professors, award-winners, and poets published in top journals. I did send an email to PoetWorks after posting here and they responded quickly, answering all my questions.

It was never my intention to self-publish my poetry. They posted a call for submissions and I answered. I also know two other poets who entered and whose poems were not selected, which means they're not taking everything they receive. I don't know what to think.

Ruled by Dachshunds smallthunder's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by VeggieChick
    However, the acceptance email is very general (Dear Author) and the attached contract doesn't even mention which poem they accepted. It also specifies that they will let me buy one copy of the book "at cost" plus additional copies at a 30% discount off the cover price. Average cover price for similar paperback anthologies (according to their website) is $19.99.

Are they legit or is this another poetry scam? Google doesn't turn up anything suspicious.
    Is the Pope Polish?

Er, wait a minute, that doesn't work anymore ...

OK: This screams SCAM to me -- just churn out those "acceptance" e-mails without even having to take the time to type in an individual poet's name, let alone the name of any of the submitted poems. No need to even bother with postage -- isn't the Internet great! Then rake in AT LEAST $20 bucks from each "accepted" poet -- let's see, how many poems/poets can we get into an anthology ...a nice little moneymaker, yes, indeed.

They may be too new for anything to show up on Google -- or, perhaps more likely, their newest name is too new to show up ...
    "'Reeling and Writhing, of course, to begin with,' the Mock Turtle replied; 'and then the different branches of arithmetic -- Ambition, Distraction, Uglification, and Derision.'

johnwade
    Sounds just like the Internation Society of Poets. They will accept your poem, always, and then ask for $50 for a single copy. They will say you are nominated for Poet of The Year and need to be at their convention. Oh, that costs almost $500. If you don't go, they will then try to sell you your awards. This happened to me, so I know this to be true. If they won't say which poem and want money, they are either a scam or a vanity publisher. All legitimate poetry publishers as well as good publishers do not ask the author for money. Ask other writers. The best way to get published by the best is to have a literary agent represent you.

However, you probably won't find an agent to represent poetry. Too hard to sell for too small a return.

SimFenton

Nefarious Motives???

I have it on good authority that PoetWorks Press is a small, independent and struggling publisher that only publishes poetry of merit.

It is a 10 year old company whose goal is to publish new writers, previously published writers, and decent literature.

Their acceptance letter for the anthology Passing was addressed to to all selected authors (84 authors, out of over 2400 poems submitted) and followed up with information on which poems were selected.

In their publishing release form they mention that inclusion in the anthology "was not based on purchase of the book, that all poetry selected for inclusion was based solely on the merit of the poetry". Six qualified editors scored the submissions based on criteria such as the quality of the writing, adherance to the theme of the book and originality of the work.

This publisher, although small, short staffed and under-funded does not charge reading fees, demand that an author buy a book to have their work included, or ask for donations. What can their motives for publishing decent poetry be?

For more information about PoetWorks Press go to www.poetworks.com.

PoetWorks selects talented authors from the submissions for their anthologies to underwrite individual collections of poetry by outstanding authors whose books can be found in their Catalog of Titles on the web site http://www.poetworks.com/PSP_Titles.html

Each author is an outstanding writer in their own right and receives royalties (based on sales of their book) far greater than industry standards.

If you want undiluted facts about this organization, write them at PoetWorks@aol.com. You will find them open, friendly, professional and extremely independent.

Gone
    Hi, SimFenton. Welcome to AW. May I ask who or what is the "good authority" you mention? And do you have any affiliation with PoetWorks?

Thanks for stopping by.
    Winner of Uncle Jim's Whoo Hoo Super Writer Award and Nomad's Most Use of Vowels in a Screen Name Award as well as Maryn's Only Person on AW Whose Name Anagrams to "I, Octane," "Act I (One)" and "Nice tao" Award in addition to batgirl's Culpeper Award for Botanically Erudite Screen Name plus awatkins' AW's Most Creative Srounger [sic] of Rep Points Award not to mention azbikergirl's Arizona Most Awarded Writer Award and also Dawno's Most Interesting Signature Line Award

SimFenton

Glad You Asked

Quote Originally Posted by Aconite
    Hi, SimFenton. Welcome to AW. May I ask who or what is the "good authority" you mention? And do you have any affiliation with PoetWorks?

Thanks for stopping by.
    The "good authority" that you inquire about is my dear wife, owner and publisher. As for "any affiliation", that would be obvious

Thank you AW for the welcome.

Gone
    Quote Originally Posted by SimFenton
    The "good authority" that you inquire about is my dear wife, owner and publisher. As for "any affiliation", that would be obvious
    Yes, I'd say so. Thanks for letting us know.
    Winner of Uncle Jim's Whoo Hoo Super Writer Award and Nomad's Most Use of Vowels in a Screen Name Award as well as Maryn's Only Person on AW Whose Name Anagrams to "I, Octane," "Act I (One)" and "Nice tao" Award in addition to batgirl's Culpeper Award for Botanically Erudite Screen Name plus awatkins' AW's Most Creative Srounger [sic] of Rep Points Award not to mention azbikergirl's Arizona Most Awarded Writer Award and also Dawno's Most Interesting Signature Line Award

Quote Originally Posted by SimFenton
    This publisher, although small, short staffed and under-funded does not charge reading fees, demand that an author buy a book to have their work included, or ask for donations. What can their motives for publishing decent poetry be?
    Assuming for the moment you are indeed striving to bring "decent" poetry to the world, why are your books $5 more than other POD's (and that's before S&H)? Do you sell through any outlet other than your website? I don't find any of the books listed on Amazon, etc.

Even allowing that most of a poet's sales are face-to-face after readings, your 30% author discount still prices them out of the market.
    ICAO
    ---------
    Achievers strive for excellence. Perfectionists drive themselves to extinction. -- A Grapple A Day
    I've never known any trouble that an hour's reading didn't assuage. -- Charles DeSecondat

Writer Beware Goddess Absolute Sage victoriastrauss's Avatar
    Writer Beware has gotten two complaints about PoetWorks from authors who cite major errors in layout and content, and shoddy production values. Both say they had difficulty getting the publisher to make corrections.

- Victoria

Re: production values...compare this author's new book against the previous by a different publisher: http://www.poetworks.com/JosephineDarner.html (Ink Drop Press was an imprint of Road Publishers, the defunct chapbook arm of an art gallery in Virginia.)

Is it worth mentioning how many of their authors have work on poetry.com? No, I'd better not go there....
    ICAO
    ---------

Sites are gone. Survived through '10, at least.
    ICAO
    ---------