Welcome to the AbsoluteWrite Water Cooler! Please read The Newbie Guide To Absolute Write

Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast
Results 26 to 50 of 221

Thread: Another Weasel Apology

  1. #26
    practical experience, FTW rwam's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Glen Carbon, Illinois
    Posts
    1,741
    Some cut hair, some snort coke. Kids do stupid things when they're young.

  2. #27
    Benefactor Member Nymtoc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Between the lines
    Posts
    34,092
    "I donít remember that incident and Iíll tell you I certainly donít believe that I, I canít speak for other people of course, thought the fellow was homosexual. That was the furthest thing from my mind back in the 1960s, so that was not the case. But as to pranks that were played back then, I donít remember them all...."


    "The presence of those seeking the truth is infinitely to be preferred to the presence of those who think they've found it.Ē ~ Terry Pratchett

  3. #28
    Lost in the Fog rugcat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    East O' The Sun & West O' The Moon
    Posts
    14,039
    Quote Originally Posted by rwam View Post
    Some cut hair, some snort coke. Kids do stupid things when they're young.
    Lots of kids do stupid things.

    Most of them do not do mean and hurtful things.
    Urban Fantasy rules:Play Dead My Website

  4. #29
    It's too hot Mclesh's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Southern California
    Posts
    4,006
    Quote Originally Posted by rugcat View Post
    Lots of kids do stupid things.

    Most of them do not do mean and hurtful things.
    Thank you.

  5. #30
    practical experience, FTW cmi0616's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    With you in Rockland
    Posts
    1,291

    And In Case You Needed More Proof...

    ...That Romney blatantly hates homosexuals, the Washington Post dropped this story recently:

    http://www.washingtonpost.com/politi...KFU_story.html

    Goodreads- let's be friends!
    [/COLOR][/FONT] [/FONT][/COLOR]

  6. #31
    practical experience, FTW cmi0616's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    With you in Rockland
    Posts
    1,291
    Whoops, sorry there's already a thread about this. Mods, feel free to delete this.
    Goodreads- let's be friends!
    [/COLOR][/FONT] [/FONT][/COLOR]

  7. #32
    Merovingian Superhero ULTRAGOTHA's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    1,914
    Quote Originally Posted by rugcat View Post
    Lots of kids do stupid things.

    Most of them do not do mean and hurtful things.
    Not to mention assault. That's not just bullying, that's breaking the damn law.
    "Everyone is entitled to their own opinions; but everyone is not entitled to their own facts."
    --Daniel Patrick Moynihan

    ================================
    "He has the courage of a fighting cock and the brains of a chicken."
    -I cannot find the attribution for this :-(
    ================================

    @ULTRAGOTHA on Twitter

  8. #33
    Liker Of Happy Things Mharvey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    The Nexus
    Posts
    1,862
    Quote Originally Posted by rugcat View Post
    Lots of kids do stupid things.

    Most of them do not do mean and hurtful things.
    I think almost everyone I knew in high school (myself include) have done mean and hurtful things as well as stupid. I know a guy who actually pushed someone with a broken arm off a bleacher when he was 13. The kid rebroke it, had to spend another 2 months in a cast, but never told on my buddy. We were drinking once and I brought it up. He told me he thinks about it at least once a month without fail and always feels like garbage about it.

    Even an act you'd think only a sociopath capable of doing can still not necessarily reflect on who someone becomes.

    Bottom line: if Mittens just owned the damn thing, I wouldn't care. It's this "I can't remember" crap that he seems to get afflicted with every time someone calls him on something that drives me nuts. You do something horrible to someone else, it stays with you, unless you're just a horrible person.
    Last edited by Mharvey; 05-11-2012 at 07:22 AM.
    Currently Working On: Untitled Urban Fantasy, 10000ish words in
    In The Bottom Drawer:Too Damn Many To Count.

  9. #34
    "Upgrade your gray matter"- Deltron AW Moderator Jcomp's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    5,258
    Quote Originally Posted by Mharvey View Post
    I think almost everyone I knew in high school (myself include) have done mean and hurtful things as well as stupid. I know a guy who actually pushed someone with a broken arm off a bleacher when he was 13. The kid rebroke it, had to spend another 2 months in a cast, but never told on my buddy. We were drinking once and I brought it up. He told me he thinks about it at least once a month without fail and always feels like garbage about it.

    Even an act you'd think only a sociopath capable of doing can still not necessarily reflect on who someone becomes.

    Bottom line: if Mittens just owned the damn thing, I wouldn't care. It's this "I can't remember" crap that he seems to get afflicted with every time someone calls him on something that drives me nuts. You do something horrible to someone else, it stays with you, unless you're just a horrible person.
    Yep.

  10. #35
    Is me. Monkey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Texas, usually
    Posts
    8,941
    This isn't the worst thing they have on Romney, and I wouldn't think much of it if he remembered it as a horrible mistake he made as a kid, but the thing is, here's a man who bullied as a teen, mistreated the family dog as an adult, and seemingly sees nothing wrong with either.
    ---------------------

    Website where you can get sculptures made of your (or your child's) drawings.

    My favorite indie musician could use some support.

  11. #36
    Lost in the Fog rugcat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    East O' The Sun & West O' The Moon
    Posts
    14,039
    Quote Originally Posted by Mharvey View Post
    Bottom line: if Mittens just owned the damn thing, I wouldn't care. It's this "I can't remember" crap that he seems to get afflicted with every time someone calls him on something that drives me nuts. You do something horrible to someone else, it stays with you, unless you're just a horrible person.
    Well, he can't deny it happened, because so many of his classmates were there and they remember quite clearly. But the excuse that he simply has no recollection of the incident -- when he was the one cutting the other kid's hair-- is more than ludicrous.
    Urban Fantasy rules:Play Dead My Website

  12. #37
    waxing digital artistic Gale Haut's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    The Swamplands
    Posts
    3,014
    That article makes me want to blame Romney for everything that happened to poor Lauber as a result of that one traumatizing experience.

    But I don't.

  13. #38
    Absinthe O'Malice TerzaRima's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    the foulest in the land
    Posts
    3,202
    I attended a prep school in the '80s similar to Cranbrook--in fact we were one of their crosstown rivals in hockey. Similar to rugcat's description, any out and out bullying would have been quickly shut down. The snobbery of the students at the top of the caste system--kids whose parents had considerable wealth and power--was not to be believed. It was almost as if they didn't perceive the rest of us (nerds, drama kids, fatties, punks) as actual people like them. I think Romney halfassed his apology because he's out of touch--he's shown that before--but also because it really may not have seemed like a big deal to him at the time to attack someone, y'know, not our kind.
    Warren G. Harding looks like that eagle from the Muppets who does the news. AndóIím just going to come out and say itóI find that eagle very attractive.

  14. #39
    not to be taken seriously LAgrunion's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Los Angeles
    Posts
    1,000
    Quote Originally Posted by rugcat View Post
    Well, he can't deny it happened, because so many of his classmates were there and they remember quite clearly. But the excuse that he simply has no recollection of the incident -- when he was the one cutting the other kid's hair-- is more than ludicrous.
    Yeah.

    Mitt is super smart and accomplished. It's hard to imagine that someone like that has a bad memory. If his cohorts remember, then he probably does too. Especially since he seemed to be the leader of the attack on Mr. Lauber.

    Unless, of course, Mitt routinely bullied other kids all the time when he was young. Then I suppose it's hard to keep track. I can see how, after giving 50 wedgies, everything just became a blur...

    I don't think Mitt is an evil guy. I know I've done stuff as a kid and adult that I'm ashamed of. But dude, when you get called out on something you did wrong, just own up to it and apologize. It's not that hard to do. Mr. Lauber is dead; he's not gonna sue Mitt now.

  15. #40
    Banned
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Navigating through the thorns.
    Posts
    1,974
    Quote Originally Posted by Mharvey View Post
    Bottom line: if Mittens just owned the damn thing, I wouldn't care. It's this "I can't remember" crap that he seems to get afflicted with every time someone calls him on something that drives me nuts. You do something horrible to someone else, it stays with you, unless you're just a horrible person.
    I agree. What's horrifying is not that he did something mean once - we've all done that. It's his general complete lack of empathy.

    Same with the dog. Same with the jokes about shutting down a company and leaving all its employees without jobs.

    I don't even have a huge problem with Mittens politically (being that he's not an insanely woman-hating social conservative, at least relatively speaking), but he does seem like a sociopath.

  16. #41
    Psychopompous AW Moderator RichardGarfinkle's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Chicago, Il
    Posts
    8,722
    The thing that worries me most about Romney's response may have to do with the fact that some elements of the Republican party are pushing laws in states in give a right to bully. More precisely, the bills give a religious exemption to bullying.

    Romney may actually be worried that if he says it was a terrible thing to do (rather than 'pranks and hijinks') that he'll turn off some of the party base.

    Tennessee had such a bill:

    http://tpmmuckraker.talkingpointsmem..._religious.php

    So did Michigan:
    http://www.huffingtonpost.com/waymon...b_1081708.html

    To the branch of the base that supports bills like this, Romney may actually look good for what he did as a teenager and for his laughing it off now.
    Sometimes, what people need is to have things asked of them.




    Now on Smashwords

  17. #42
    That hairy-handed gent
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    Who ran amok in Kent
    Posts
    31,536
    This incident, while not central, does contribute to the image of rich-entitled-in-crowd-out-of-touch-dude that seems to hang around his head like an aura. It's not entirely inconsequential to the issue of just what is Mitt Romney about these days. His response is unhelpful, to say the least.

    caw

  18. #43
    New kid...seven years ago! DancingMaenid's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    United States
    Posts
    3,472
    Quote Originally Posted by blacbird View Post
    This incident, while not central, does contribute to the image of rich-entitled-in-crowd-out-of-touch-dude that seems to hang around his head like an aura. It's not entirely inconsequential to the issue of just what is Mitt Romney about these days. His response is unhelpful, to say the least.

    caw
    That's pretty much how I feel about it. It definitely contributes to a negative image.

    As for Romney himself, I don't think there's any excuse for being cruel to others. Being young doesn't make bullying okay. I do believe, however, in allowing people the opportunity to change and grow. But I'm not impressed with Romney's reaction, here.

  19. #44
    The One Ring? Teinz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Cast back into the fiery chasm from whence it came!
    Posts
    1,908
    What happened was, that the real Mitt shone through that day. I don't believe people change that much. When your teenage years have passed, all (most) people do is learn to hide or supress certain behaviour, that is perceived by others as unwanted. At their core, they stay the same, Mitt is still Mitt.

    What he has done that day is one of the most sickening things I've ever heard about (on par with consuming ground up baby-foetuses). These acts utterly destroy people. He did it because he found this boys hair offensive. He should have gone to jail for it. But at least now we know what kind of basterd he really is.

  20. #45
    Banned
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Navigating through the thorns.
    Posts
    1,974
    Quote Originally Posted by RichardGarfinkle View Post
    The thing that worries me most about Romney's response may have to do with the fact that some elements of the Republican party are pushing laws in states in give a right to bully. More precisely, the bills give a religious exemption to bullying.

    Romney may actually be worried that if he says it was a terrible thing to do (rather than 'pranks and hijinks') that he'll turn off some of the party base.
    Leaving the bullying laws alone for a second, because they're contentious by themselves even aside from the gay-hating exemption... I see parallels here with the SYG laws, the "rah rah America f*** yeah" let's-turn-the-Middle-East-into-a-glass-sea philosophy... There's something in the cultural narrative for a part of the U.S. that idealizes being an asshole. What is that? Is it a reaction to changes in masculine identity or something?

    Feel free to ignore me as I tangent the thread to death.

    But seriously, the dog thing. Normal people, even those who can't stand animals, don't torture them for shits and giggles like that.

    I guess what I'm trying to ask is - when did empathy become a dirty word?

  21. #46
    Psychopompous AW Moderator RichardGarfinkle's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Chicago, Il
    Posts
    8,722
    Quote Originally Posted by Yorkist View Post

    I guess what I'm trying to ask is - when did empathy become a dirty word?
    It's not a dirty word, but to a macho mindset empathy is a feminine characteristic. Actually, it doesn't seem to be just a macho mindset. It's part of a general stereotype of femininity. It's actually sitting there on the Wikipedia page:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Femininity

    I think there is a teaching away from empathy for boys being brought up macho. This inevitably idolizes the people who naturally lack empathy: narcissists, bullies etc.

    In short: Empathy = Cooties.
    Sometimes, what people need is to have things asked of them.




    Now on Smashwords

  22. #47
    Banned
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Navigating through the thorns.
    Posts
    1,974
    Quote Originally Posted by RichardGarfinkle View Post
    It's not a dirty word, but to a macho mindset empathy is a feminine characteristic. Actually, it doesn't seem to be just a macho mindset. It's part of a general stereotype of femininity. It's actually sitting there on the Wikipedia page:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Femininity

    I think there is a teaching away from empathy for boys being brought up macho. This inevitably idolizes the people who naturally lack empathy: narcissists, bullies etc.

    In short: Empathy = Cooties.
    Ha! I see.

    So perhaps this cultural movement is an exaggerated response (i.e. embracing sociopathy) to what many see as the "feminization" of culture, where everyone is forced to behave as a civilized human being, where clocking someone is no longer seen as an acceptable route to solving one's problems?

    Or is it a reaction to the (not quite) equalization of the power of the sexes?

    Or can you even separate the two?

    I guess what I'm wondering is: does this come from a loss of masculine identity/narrative, because people are confused where they fit in the grand scheme and this is their reaction? Or does it come from misogyny, because male is less and less synonymous with power?

    Sorry for the derail, once again.

  23. #48
    Psychopompous AW Moderator RichardGarfinkle's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Chicago, Il
    Posts
    8,722
    Quote Originally Posted by Yorkist View Post
    Ha! I see.

    So perhaps this cultural movement is an exaggerated response (i.e. embracing sociopathy) to what many see as the "feminization" of culture, where everyone is forced to behave as a civilized human being, where clocking someone is no longer seen as an acceptable route to solving one's problems?

    Or is it a reaction to the (not quite) equalization of the power of the sexes?

    Or can you even separate the two?

    I guess what I'm wondering is: does this come from a loss of masculine identity/narrative, because people are confused where they fit in the grand scheme and this is their reaction? Or does it come from misogyny, because male is less and less synonymous with power?

    Sorry for the derail, once again.
    I don't think it is a derail.

    <Pure Opinion>
    A lot of anti-gay prejudice by men is, I think, fear of being seen as having feminine characteristics. Since a number of those characteristics are actually human characteristics (love, empathy, caring, appreciation of beauty that isn't automatically sexual) there is a fear of being seen as 'one of those'

    It's the old principle of witch-hunting, the way to not be seen as a witch is to join the hunters. Therefore, the way to not be seen (by oneself or by others) as not feminine (i.e. not gay) is to be as macho as possible and to join in with gay-bashing.

    The stereotype of the gay-basher who's really in the closet is one part of this, but there is a don't look gay idea present in a lot of society.

    It does seem to be dying out in the younger generation in my limited experience. Of course, that may be where I'm living and what kids I'm seeing.
    </Pure Opinion>
    Sometimes, what people need is to have things asked of them.




    Now on Smashwords

  24. #49
    It's dying out depending on where you live. My high school had a GSA ten years ago and there were plenty of guys (not gay) mucking about with long hair. Which was wondrous. I find that quite attractive >_<'

    But yeah. My biggest issue with this, beyond the fact that something I thought I made up for a story has been confirmed realistically plausible, is that not only did he sort of laugh and brush this off, but he doesn't seem to care about any of the measures that would protect LGBT students who were bullied.

    And have you ever seen interviews with him? If someone brings up a question he doesn't feel like answering, he laughs at the interviewer and spouts something about how the question is unimportant and let's talk about real issues.

    Some bullies will change their mindset after high school. Some will feel guilt. Based on his behavior as an adult and his policy choices, I don't believe for a second that he does.
    Morning Star - Edward struggles with depression and self identity within a small community that seems vested in old fashioned beliefs. Weak willed and desperate, he attempts to give himself up to eternal sleep, forcing his friends, family, and fellow students to cope with the choice he's made.

  25. #50
    Banned
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Navigating through the thorns.
    Posts
    1,974
    Oh, good.

    Quote Originally Posted by RichardGarfinkle View Post
    A lot of anti-gay prejudice by men is, I think, fear of being seen as having feminine characteristics.
    I don't disagree with any of your pure opinion, but... I wonder how much of homosexuality = feminine is particular to our time and place in history. The ancients didn't associate homosexuality (or: homosexual acts) with femininity.

    Anyway, this is what I'm thinking:

    (1) Gender identity, like national identity, is in a state of collapse.

    (2) Men, as the "ruling" class, tend to feel this more keenly than women, who while perhaps are ambivalent about it, at least see the freedom in it.

    (3) This compounds with an ongoing loss of male privilege, which is often seen as male discrimination due to a lack of aknowledgment of privilege. You see it in *coughchoke* "men's rights" movements, who are quite upset about things like how fewer men graduate from college than women.

    (4) The response is the celebration of an outside-from-within view of masculinity, which abhors the "feminine" (human) characteristics in favor of an exaggerated mythic masculinity, i.e.: asshole.

    It does seem to be dying out in the younger generation in my limited experience. Of course, that may be where I'm living and what kids I'm seeing.
    I think that's because the younger the kiddos, the less sex is ascribed to their identities; they don't have as many issues with it as the older folks who may feel their gender has been robbed from them over the course of their lifetimes. Perhaps.
    Last edited by Yorkist; 05-11-2012 at 03:22 PM.

Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Custom Search