• Guest please check The Index before starting a thread.

Megalithica Books / Immanion Press

Tom Swiss

new in town, but an old web hand
Registered
Reaction score
Website
infamous.net
Megalithica Books is the esoteric/"occult" non-fiction imprint of Immanion Press, a "dark fantasy" publisher. They've offered me a contract (hooray!) for Why Buddha Touched the Earth. I know they're a small press, using POD, but they seem generally legit -- anyone know more? Thanks.

Stijn Hommes

Know what you write...
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.peccarymagazine.5u.com
Here is the link for anyone else who wants to check things out: http://www.immanion-press.com/index.asp

The only thing bothering me at the moment is the fact the founder and acquiring editor is an author herself and appears to have no publishing experience. You want to ask some questions to make sure she knows what she is doing. Writing is very different from publishing and doing one well, doesn't necessarily mean the other will go well too.

Also, track down some of the authors they already publish and see what they think.

If you have the actual contract in hand, send it over to Victoria Strauss from Writer Beware to make sure it has all the right clauses.

Old Hack

Such a nasty woman
Super Moderator
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
I have just a couple of quibbles, neither of which really relate to the publisher under consideration.

It's best to check out publishers before you submit your work to them, and not after; and while Victoria Strauss is always interested to see contracts, especially from presses she's not encountered before, it seems a little much to me to expect her to check everyone's contracts for free (I might well be wrong here, though), as she has her own living to earn and can't spend all her time helping out writers for nothing. There are writers' organisations which do these things for their fee-paying members: for example, the UK's Society of Authors.

waylander

Who's going for a beer?
Registered
Reaction score
Immanion Press has been around a while and is well connected to the British Fantasy Society. Good quality small press.

Stijn Hommes

Know what you write...
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.peccarymagazine.5u.com
I have just a couple of quibbles, neither of which really relate to the publisher under consideration.

It's best to check out publishers before you submit your work to them, and not after; and while Victoria Strauss is always interested to see contracts, especially from presses she's not encountered before, it seems a little much to me to expect her to check everyone's contracts for free (I might well be wrong here, though), as she has her own living to earn and can't spend all her time helping out writers for nothing.
I guess you have a good point. Dig through the Writer Beware posts anyway. She's covered contracts on the blog so you'll at least know what to look out for.

Filigree

Mildly Disturbing
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.cranehanabooks.com
I don't know anyone who has signed with Immanion, but I know Storm Constantine founded it after she got screwed over by her first publisher.
I've read a couple of Immanion books from my local library, and they were well-printed and edited.

Diana_Rajchel

Writing from my Seaside Palace
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
blog.dianarajchel.com
I personally know a couple of their regular authors, and I've reviewed books from them for years now for Facing North. They're a stable business model, on the up and up, and very small. It can appear a bit incestuous, they're so small, but they maintain professionalism and give the market something it needs.