AW Amazon Store

If this site is helpful to you,
Please consider a voluntary subscription to defray ongoing expenses.

Welcome to the AbsoluteWrite Water Cooler! Please read The Newbie Guide To Absolute Write

Thread: Megalithica Books / Immanion Press

new in town, but an old web hand

Megalithica Books / Immanion Press

Megalithica Books is the esoteric/"occult" non-fiction imprint of Immanion Press, a "dark fantasy" publisher. They've offered me a contract (hooray!) for Why Buddha Touched the Earth. I know they're a small press, using POD, but they seem generally legit -- anyone know more? Thanks.
    Tom Swiss | the infamous tms
    my homepage | my blog
    Why Buddha Touched the Earth: Zen Paganism for the 21st Century -- querying! All help appreciated!

Know what you write...
    Here is the link for anyone else who wants to check things out: http://www.immanion-press.com/index.asp

The only thing bothering me at the moment is the fact the founder and acquiring editor is an author herself and appears to have no publishing experience. You want to ask some questions to make sure she knows what she is doing. Writing is very different from publishing and doing one well, doesn't necessarily mean the other will go well too.

Also, track down some of the authors they already publish and see what they think.

If you have the actual contract in hand, send it over to Victoria Strauss from Writer Beware to make sure it has all the right clauses.

Such a nasty woman SuperModerator Old Hack's Avatar
    I have just a couple of quibbles, neither of which really relate to the publisher under consideration.

It's best to check out publishers before you submit your work to them, and not after; and while Victoria Strauss is always interested to see contracts, especially from presses she's not encountered before, it seems a little much to me to expect her to check everyone's contracts for free (I might well be wrong here, though), as she has her own living to earn and can't spend all her time helping out writers for nothing. There are writers' organisations which do these things for their fee-paying members: for example, the UK's Society of Authors.

Who's going for a beer? waylander's Avatar
    Immanion Press has been around a while and is well connected to the British Fantasy Society. Good quality small press.

"wonderfully old-school epic adventure fare"
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hcvasKnJlV8

Know what you write...
    Quote Originally Posted by Old Hack View Post
    I have just a couple of quibbles, neither of which really relate to the publisher under consideration.

It's best to check out publishers before you submit your work to them, and not after; and while Victoria Strauss is always interested to see contracts, especially from presses she's not encountered before, it seems a little much to me to expect her to check everyone's contracts for free (I might well be wrong here, though), as she has her own living to earn and can't spend all her time helping out writers for nothing.
    I guess you have a good point. Dig through the Writer Beware posts anyway. She's covered contracts on the blog so you'll at least know what to look out for.

I don't know anyone who has signed with Immanion, but I know Storm Constantine founded it after she got screwed over by her first publisher.
    I've read a couple of Immanion books from my local library, and they were well-printed and edited.

This M/M space opera
    Blog: Blue Night
    Art and jewelry online at Etsy.

Writing from my Seaside Palace Diana_Rajchel's Avatar
    I personally know a couple of their regular authors, and I've reviewed books from them for years now for Facing North. They're a stable business model, on the up and up, and very small. It can appear a bit incestuous, they're so small, but they maintain professionalism and give the market something it needs.

Available at:
    Amazon, Amazon UK
    Barnes and Noble
    Powell's

I'd actually considered approaching them with something, before I got a US e-pub.

This M/M space opera
    Blog: Blue Night
    Art and jewelry online at Etsy.