20-year old Oxford student: "the new JK Rowling"?

Status
Not open for further replies.

aruna

On a wing and a prayer
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.sharonmaas.co.uk
http://www.heraldsun.com.au/enterta...e-new-jk-rowling/story-fn7euh6j-1226347954799

A 20-year-old Oxford student has been dubbed the "new J.K. Rowling" after signing a seven-figure deal for her futuristic adventure series with the publishers of the Harry Potter books.

Samantha Shannon landed the multimillion-pound deal with Bloomsbury for her first novel, The Bone Season, and two sequels
This will be interesting to watch. At the very least, it proves that publishers are still on the prowl for great books.

Last edited:

fireluxlou

Registered
Reaction score
Good luck to her I will be reading it. I love that she has a female protag.

Katrina S. Forest

Registered
Reaction score
Website
katrinasforest.com
I don't want to hold any book to the standard of, "the next Harry Potter," before I read it.

I'll wait and see what happens when the book actually comes out.

aruna

On a wing and a prayer
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.sharonmaas.co.uk
I don't want to hold any book to the standard of, "the next Harry Potter," before I read it.

I'll wait and see what happens when the book actually comes out.

Yes, I should have put that in quotation marks. In fact, I think I will. When I hear "the next.... anybody" I get the heebie jeebies.

JoeSmith

Registered
Reaction score
I think it's a bit early to get excited about this, but a seven figure deal for three books is very impressive.

Toothpaste

THE RECKLESS RESCUE is out now!
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.adriennekress.com
I get kind of annoyed that people consistently call those people who are writing a series and get a massive book deal "the next JK Rowling". I automatically think, "So we finally have the next big middle grade then?" But nope, again, this is YA or likely more YA/Adult Crossover, and dystopian. If anything she's the next Collins.

It's a minor frustration, but I really don't like the inaccuracy with it.

Nonetheless, hey, props to her! I hope she does well! :)

Shadow_Ferret

Court Jester
Registered
Reaction score
Website
shadowferret.wordpress.com
Labels like this are usually the death knell to someone's career. They never live up to the hype and they crash and burn. Better to go in without any expectations and surprise the hell out of everyone. "Where the hell did they come from?"

To use music as an analogy, how many players ever lived up to the "next Jimi Hendrix" or bands survive "the next Beatles" label?

shaldna

The cake is a lie. But still cake.
Registered
Reaction score
I read this earlier. Kudos to her. From what I read this morning she worked hard on it, and IIRC, this was only her second novel, which makes it even more impressive.

Libbie

Worst song played on ugliest guitar
Registered
Reaction score
Labels like this are usually the death knell to someone's career. They never live up to the hype and they crash and burn. Better to go in without any expectations and surprise the hell out of everyone. "Where the hell did they come from?"

That's what I thought, too. I feel sorry for the kid. That's an enormous expectation to live up to. I'd be scared shitless if somebody made such a comparison about my work before it was even published.

After it was published, preferably years later, would be okay with me. Definitely not before.

rynthewin

Plotting Princess
Registered
Reaction score
While I'm happy for this author and hope the book lives up to the hype for her sake, I'm also a tad breathless with envy at the seven figure deal.

Raventongue

little orphan anarchist
Registered
Reaction score
I'm not a fan of J.K. Rowling, so if she fails to live up to the hype I may, paradoxically, read it. Just on the off chance that the reason it plunked was that it was too profound for the folks who were looking for another Rowling.

I'm of the general opinion that the vast majority of HP readers had no taste. Not to be judgmental, of course; I was one at one point. Probably had something to do with the fact that we were all 10 freakin' years old.

aruna

On a wing and a prayer
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.sharonmaas.co.uk

To use music as an analogy, how many players ever lived up to the "next Jimi Hendrix" or bands survive "the next Beatles" label?

Exactly. Remember that JKR came out of nowhere; that was part of the phenomenon. I do like the sound of this kid's beginnings, though; she seems really dedicated. More on the (sorry!) Daily Mail website:
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...ng-Oxford-student-lands-figure-book-deal.html

thebloodfiend

Cory
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.thebooklantern.com
Labeling someone the "next" big thing is probably the worst thing you can do for their career. JK Rowling and Steph Meyer didn't have artificial praise, huge advances, and huge PR campaigns. You can't make publishing fame.

Good luck to the girl, but I feel sorry for her. Out of all the "next" Steph Meyer's/Rowlings, not one is remembered in 2012 as someone who'll go down in history books. Not even the author of The Night Circus. You can't be the "next" blank. You've got to make people want to be the next you.

KTC

Stand in the Place Where You Live
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
ktcraig.com
Congrats to her. I'm sure of one thing...she's going to be the next big Samantha Shannon. That's enough...to be ourselves. I would give her a try based soley on the title. (I couldn't get through book 1 of Potter. Hated the writing...loved the movies)

Cyia

Rewriting My Destiny
Registered
Reaction score
First - this is not a dig at the author, because anyone who can land a "multi-million pound (or dollar) deal" straight out of the gate has something going for their writing, but I have to agree with Toothpaste on this one. It's not MG by any stretch. The protag is 19, which would exclude it from even YA by most current market standards. The MC's not in school, either.

http://www.adelaidenow.com.au/enter...e-new-jk-rowling/story-e6fredpu-1226349356015

She has mapped out her story to be spread over seven books, just like Rowling's Harry Potter series, following the adventures of Paige, a 19-year-old clairvoyant who escapes from life in a criminal underworld.

The Bone Season is set in 2059 where Paige is captured by the repressive government, Scion, and sent to Oxford, a town which has been kept secret, where she meets Warden, who becomes her "keeper."
It sounds like Alias meets Eureka + supernatural aspects to me. (A good thing, since I liked both shows.)

Toothpaste

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.adriennekress.com
I'm of the general opinion that the vast majority of HP readers had no taste. Not to be judgmental, of course; I was one at one point. Probably had something to do with the fact that we were all 10 freakin' years old.

This is a totally unnecessary statement, has nothing to do with the topic at hand, and is pretty darn insulting (on so many levels, not only insulting adult readers of the books as having no taste, but assuming that kids will like pretty much anything).

Just pointing it out in the hopes that the next time you feel like saying something incredibly negative about a great number of people and it has absolutely nothing to do with the subject at hand . . . you might . . . you know, not.

(also just because you claim you aren't being judgmental in saying that almost everyone who likes HP has no taste, uh, doesn't mean you actually aren't)

Cyia

Rewriting My Destiny
Registered
Reaction score
Also, I was NOT 10 when I read the books (or even when they came out), as was the case with a great many Potter fans. That was the "Secret" of the books' success. The parents bought the books for their kids, then got so caught up in the stories, they wanted to read them, too.

Raventongue

little orphan anarchist
Registered
Reaction score
This is a totally unnecessary statement, has nothing to do with the topic at hand, and is pretty darn insulting (on so many levels, not only insulting adult readers of the books as having no taste, but assuming that kids will like pretty much anything).

Just pointing it out in the hopes that the next time you feel like saying something incredibly negative about a great number of people and it has absolutely nothing to do with the subject at hand . . . you might . . . you know, not.

(also just because you claim you aren't being judgmental in saying that almost everyone who likes HP has no taste, uh, doesn't mean you actually aren't)

Unnecessary? Oh, I'm sorry, I thought we were discussing the concept of labelling an author "the next J.K. Rowling". I must be in the wrong thread.

It wasn't even negative. Rowling did what she set out to do, and better than she probably expected anyone could do it. We all have different goals.

And if that's judgmental, I'll take judgmental over jumping down someone's throat for voicing an opinion any day.

Toothpaste

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.adriennekress.com
It wasn't even negative? Did you or did you not say that almost everyone who likes Harry potter has bad taste?

You'll note that was the part of your statement I quoted and took issue with. How is that not a judgment? I guess if you truly believe it as fact you could therefore think it not judgmental. But if it's fact I'd like to see proof of that.

And despite your supposed explanation I still have no idea what saying the lion's share of her fans have no taste has to do with this thread. Please do explain it to me however.

Phaeal

Whatever I did, I didn't do it.
Registered
Reaction score
Unnecessary? Oh, I'm sorry, I thought we were discussing the concept of labelling an author "the next J.K. Rowling". I must be in the wrong thread.

It wasn't even negative. Rowling did what she set out to do, and better than she probably expected anyone could do it. We all have different goals.

And if that's judgmental, I'll take judgmental over jumping down someone's throat for voicing an opinion any day.

You're perfectly free to state your opinion and vent your bile. The rest of us are perfectly free to react to it, and to check our cabinets to make sure we have ample supplies of troll repellent.

I have mine shipped in monthly from a dear little shop in Diagon Alley. At bulk rates, you might as well go for the best.

But back to topic:

I can't tell from the linked articles who is dubbing Shannon "the next JKR." Could be anyone from Bloomsbury (who, after all, have the cash for monster advances thanks to JKR) to the press to anyone on the streets. Almost every time someone finds out I write, the first thing they say (regardless of whether they know my genre and audience) is, "Oh, you mean like that Harry Potter thing?"

Okay, some say "that Twilight thing." But Harry still leads at about two-to-one. Poor Dan Brown has dropped way back in the pack. Watching to see if E. L. James makes a move on the outside (or whether all those chains and whips slow her down.)

From the description, as others have noted, Shannon's series sounds much more like The Hunger Games and other YA dystopians than it sounds like Harry Potter. If Scholastic buys the US rights, it can invoke two of its heavy hitters and declare that Shannon is "the next Harry Potter but kind of more like Suzanne Collins!"

This will be an interesting one to watch, both for the marketing and the book itself.

Last edited:

ladybritches

late to the party
Registered
Reaction score

:e2thud:

Labeling the vast majority of Harry Potter readers as having no taste is definitely judgmental. I think that's the offensive part of your original statement, not your opinion of the series itself.

Status
Not open for further replies.