"There are two cardinal rules when writing a short story:"

Status
Not open for further replies.

EugeneCross

Registered
Reaction score
Thanks for This!

These are fantastic! I'm Eugene Cross, author of Fires of Our Choosing, the book reviewed in the Pittsburgh Post Gazette where those "two cardinal rules" were originally mentioned. Not sure if I pull them off in every story, but I definitely keep those in mind as I write. That being said, I had a writing teacher once who put it much more directly. Writers have to use words and be entertaining. That might be oversimplifying, but I've forgotten to entertain the reader at times in the past and in its own way that can be a cardinal sin. Thanks again for all these great riffs on the rules. I loved the Poe "single effect" reference as well.

magicmint

Registered
Reaction score
I'm not big on rules, but I think the most important thing to think about when writing short stories is narrative voice. If any thing you should focus on, it's the voice. It makes or breaks shorts for me personally.

Pyekett

I need no hot / Words.
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Go for the jugular. Write towards problems, not away from them. When in doubt, always choose the more emotionally painful option. Never miss a chance to play with shame, guilt, anxiety or regret. And if you're afraid to write something, write just that.

Orchestra, this is great, but ...

Don't mind the gap. Readers need a lot less hand-holding than you think. No need to spell everything out. Small details carry a long way and things left unsaid are often just as effective.

This is true for big "T" true. And this--

Same goes for events: subtract them from your story until it breaks.

Effin' spot on priceless. Love it. With that approach, would crit for you anytime. Would pay to crit for you if you are pulling it off.

AUthoress

Living my dreams.
Registered
Reaction score
1. Learn the rules.
2. Break the rules.

RJLeahy

Banned
Reaction score
Rule 1: You are free to begin your story in any way you wish,, including with an arbitrary and completely unlikely set of coincidences.

Rule 2: You may not end a story this way.

toraguru

Tryhard
Registered
Reaction score
Ditto. :D

I hear everyone say "you need sympathetic characters," to which I ask: Why? I've read sympathetic characters--a lot of them, in fact--and in the end, I didn't care for them anymore than the characters who're rotten bastards. (Actually, the rotten bastards tend to have the better voice.)

Honestly, I believe it's the interesting characters that make me want to invest in them, the ones who are slightly (or really) fucked up. There's something compelling about those screwy characters, you want to read on, figure out what makes them tick, if they ever get through their struggles (either external or internal). And those are the characters who will give you one hell of a ride. ;)

This. I agree completely. You don't need to relate/like the character, really. I just finished reading Stephen King's "The Shining" again after many years, and always end up enjoying Jack Torrance's parts the best. His general f---ed up persona is what makes him entertaining and three-dimensional. He was sort of a horrible guy, but I wanted to read about him.

GFanthome

At the computer, opening a vein
Registered
Reaction score
Website
bit.ly
2. Don't write about realistic situations, or avoid social realism. My favourite short stories tend to be have aspects of magical realism and/or are very intertextual. I enjoy having my everyday characters navigate worlds where reality is slightly more malleable than they are used to.

I can't say that I agree this would be a "cardinal rule" as I rather enjoy stories that portray characters trying to navigate challenging yet realistic situations. I must admit, your second point seems like more of a personal preference.

rugcat

Lost in the Fog
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jlevitt.com
Since novels are longer, they need three rules, not two:

There are three rules for writing the novel. Unfortunately, no one knows what they are.

-- W. Somerset Maugham
English dramatist & novelist (1874 - 1965)

blacbird

Registered
Reaction score
2. Don't write about realistic situations, or avoid social realism. My favourite short stories tend to be have aspects of magical realism and/or are very intertextual. I enjoy having my everyday characters navigate worlds where reality is slightly more malleable than they are used to.

This is pure personal preference, not a "rule" applicable to all good, effective short fiction. Joyce Carol Oates, John O'Hara, Stuart Dybek, a lot of other highly successful and acclaimed writers of short fiction would take issue with you here.

caw

CQuinlan

Registered
Reaction score
Hmm. Mine are either/or.
1.Make 'em cry in happiness.
2.Make 'em cry in despair.

Flagship

Registered
Reaction score
Rule 1. Don't talk about fight club.
Rule 2. Don't talk about...
Oh, whoops.

In all seriousness though:
1.) This is a short story. You only have so many words to use. So make them all count. Every single word should have a purpose.
2.) Don't tell them everything. Tell your story, and give hints and tastes of the world around it, but no more. This will empower your story using the biggest guns imaginable: Your reader's imagination.

Status
Not open for further replies.