Quote Originally Posted by lorna_w View Post
I don't particularly enjoy reading women-hating narratives, is the problem for me with pure accuracy.
Flicka has already made some excellent points about this, so I'll try not to go off into a long rant. (I've been extremely touchy about this perception of history=oppressed women ever since a child that I was babysitting said, in the middle of a game of pioneers, "I'll just sit down here on this stump and watch you, since this was back when women had no point." No point? Our culture is telling our daughters that up until just now, they had no point? )

Ahem. Working on this not-ranting thing.

Anyhow, I'd like to add that history is not a monolith, and there is no broad "historical mindset". Finding misogynistic mindsets obnoxious does not necessarily mean that an accurate Anglo-Saxon mindset would be obnoxious.

It's also worth bearing in mind that a huge amount of the history that has been passed down to us was filtered through a Victorian mindset.

That said, I agree that there can be "historical mindsets" that are obnoxious to me as well. Like the ones where the character is so busy being a Medieval Person that they forget to be human. Or the scenario when the spunky female MC with an inexplicably modern mindset is running around in a historical setting, feeling oppressed because she can't be a modern women.

If a person from another century (past or future) was transported to now, I'm sure our social mores could also be perceived as oppressive. Different social mores are just different. Differences can sometimes involve oppression; but they can also mean that there's an entirely different system in place, with different ways to thrive. Less-well-researched historical writing can forget that, and throw a blanket of generic misogyny and backwardness over everything more than a few decades ago. Which makes me ranty.

I'm sorry to hear about your personal experiences with misogyny, though, lorna_w - I can see how that could sour the entire discussion. I'm not in a position of having ever been told that I couldn't do something because I was a girl (though I do wish I'd picked up more mechanics from my dad, the way my brothers did), so I'm coming at this from a very different angle.