• Guest please check The Index before starting a thread.

Annie Bomke Literary Agency

AnyaHarker

Registered
Reaction score
I submitted to her a little bit ago. Said she liked it but wanted more 'visceral' descriptions, so it was a pass. Dealings with her were very nice and I know another friend of mine who dealt with her on an R&R that said she was wonderful to work with.

Dunno of anyone who has signed with her, however.

CallMeIshmael

Registered
Reaction score
Submitted a query last Wed. and just received a full request 30 minutes ago. Seems friendly and professional.

Would love to hear from anyone who has dealt with her before. Thanks in advance!

StephanieDiaz

The Girl Who Waited
Registered
Reaction score
Website
steph-diaz.blogspot.com
She read my first 100 pages, but ended up passing with compliments once I received an offer of rep. I definitely recommend querying her. She gives great pubtips on twitter, too. You can find her here.

Undercover

I got it covered
Registered
Reaction score
Annie was a sweetheart when I dealt with her. She requested a partial and promptly responded to it...unfortunately it was a pass. But it was a nicely detailed message saying what she liked and what she didn't like.

I think anyone that works with her would have an enjoyable and perhaps successful experience too. It does help that she has an impressive resume too.

Good luck guys!

Jehhillenberg

N/A
Registered
Reaction score
I had queried her not long ago. She was "very intrigued by the story" but had trouble connecting with my characters. Ouch, but I really appreciated the personal pass.

TheCakeNovelist

Magically delicious
Registered
Reaction score
Got a rejection on a query after about a week, but Annie was a real class act. She offered some lovely praise for my plot and gave me detailed feedback on exactly why she was passing. I was floored to get such a nice response on a query, it was clear that she'd actually read the material I sent. I don't usually respond to a pass, but her response was so kind that I sent a quick thank you.

Good luck to anyone who queries, I think Annie would be great to work with!

CallMeIshmael

Registered
Reaction score
To add to what everyone else has been saying, Annie's a real class act. I heard back re: my full ms about 2-3 weeks after sending it to her. She didn't offer rep. but she did include detailed feedback.

She has asked to see a revised draft of my ms provided I make the changes. Any advice from people who have experienced this before? Does a revised ms typically garner more interest with the agent? Success rates? Any insight? Anything anything?

Thank you! (And please let me know if this question is better suited for a diff. forum ... still new here.)

waylander

Who's going for a beer?
Registered
Reaction score
Agents don't ask for R+R unless they are seriously interested. It is a big investment of their time and they are very busy people.

CallMeIshmael

Registered
Reaction score
^ Thanks for the input!

I'm working on edits right now. I just wanted reassurance that this isn't some sort of runaround and it's not atypical for agents to ask for a R+R.

LateNightLady

Yield to the beauty
Registered
Reaction score
Website
latenightlady.deviantart.com
I got a response back in less than a month. She said she loved the concept but it lacked detail. I asked if a resubmit was okay if I added to the piece. Ms. Bromke then said she didn't take on stories with vampires.

All correspondence was polite. Hardly ever get a rejection with input!

CallMeIshmael

Registered
Reaction score
Out of curiosity, do we know anyone who has signed with Annie? I know she's still new and while she comes with a great resume, what sales has she made since opening her own agency?

Thank you.

ralf58

shhh, I'm writing
Registered
Reaction score
Sounds like my experience was similar to others reported here. I queried her last week. She said she was excited by my query but the sample chapters didn't transport her into my character's world the way she had hoped. I'm gathering from that and other comments here that she's very keen on description.

It is nice to get personalized rejections for a change.

DPRichard

Sockpuppet
Banned
Richard Paolinelli Sock
Reaction score
1/7 Queried with two chapters.

1/28 Got this back today: I was very intrigued by the setting and characters of your book, and I was curious to see how the story would unfold. Unfortunately, I wasn't pulled in by the sample chapters, so I'm afraid this isn't right for me.

Oh well, still waiting to hear on the other 30 or so queries.......

Sage

Currently titleless
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
During #pitmad this weekend, I got a request via twitter from Annie Bomke to query her, and I'm having trouble finding information on her. People seem to respect her, and she was part of Margret McBride Lit Agency in foreign sales.

Most of the info I find is the same stuff on her website. On the website for the Writers Digest West Conference, where she was agent guest along with a lot of agents I recognize, she said she didn't want SF, but my pitch was about androids, so I'm just really confused, haha.

Does anyone have any more information on her?

Sage

Currently titleless
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
No, I didn't because I couldn't find any information

Madeleines

Je ne regrette rein
Registered
Reaction score
I just came here because I was having trouble finding information on her, too. She's not even in QueryTracker (which isn't always a good sign). Anyone have any updates?

Hathor

Goddess of Rationalization
Registered
Reaction score
She still doesn't have any reported sales, not just on PM, but her own website as well. Also, her resume isn't impressive in terms of knowing how to be an agent. At least she doesn't mention any.

Too bad. Even if she knows how to edit and loves books, that doesn't mean she has the contacts to sell books, much less knowledge as contract terms, royalty statement, or the like. I say too bad because her desires, as expressed yesterday on #MSWL, seemed to describe my book. Sigh.

Madeleines

Je ne regrette rein
Registered
Reaction score
Thanks Hathor. I recently saw somewhere (a tweet or a blog post, I forget) where she said she is still trying to make her first sale. Seems like she's been at it for over a year now. So...good to know!

Madeleines

Je ne regrette rein
Registered
Reaction score
Thanks, Hathor. Ms. Reid always dishes out helpful advice.

For what it's worth, I received a super nice rejection from her today (so I guess it's all a moot point!) saying that she liked the concept and the vivid imagery, but just "didn't fall in love" the way she'd hoped. Ah well, better luck elsewhere perhaps.

Antonin

▐п╣�▀╪? ╧ы§�Й!
Registered
Reaction score
Does no one have any updates on this agency/agent? She seems nice and even states she's looking for a book that fits mine, but I can't even find her on pred-ed.com

Am I just looking in the wrong place? I can't find any evidence of sales anywhere. Even her twitter feed is absent of books she's sold. (I notice a lot of agents post ARCs and such of their clients.)