The No News is No News Purgatory Thread, Vol. 7

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dragonstar

a wishin' and a hopin'
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
If you don't prune your roses back to teensy little stumps every year, your roses won't grow.

Oh yeah? (Dogs inserted for scale purposes.)

RosesandTrea.jpg

RosesandChloe.jpg

xiaotien

bedazzled /bootay shaker!!
Registered
Reaction score
Website
cindypon.com
lily pie, maybe because we're nekkid?

totally kidding! =D

dragon, that is *adorable*!!!!!

also, hound had the most gorgeous
necklace on last night!

and alas, i think i might be stuck always
with the worst toaster (ha!) ever title.

dystophil

Wielder of the Literary Lead Pipe
Registered
Reaction score
Website
alexharrow.blogspot.com
I feel like there's a tracts of land joke in here somewhere.

I would like to go on record stating that you said that. ;)

Also, of course that's not your only notable quality. Like the mockery. Oh, the mockery. :tongue

Love the picture, SD purgies! Also, why does it look like Rick and GJB are secretly up to something?

Because they are of course. Duh.

ETA: That would be Houndie (houndrat), Caleb. Which totally should summon her to this thread by the way. *summons Hound spell*

K. Taylor

Bah Humbug
Registered
Reaction score
Website
carlakrae.blogspot.com
Plain green tea. No jasmine, no lemongrass, or any other crap they wanna foul it up with. It's perfect as is and I'll drink it with or without sugar. The purer the tea, the better it is without sugar.

Went shopping again. 3 shirts, 3 hats, 2 watches, and some regular supplies. Kinda splurging, but I don't feel bad about it since my last new clothes shopping was years ago. Most of my wardrobe isn't close to being in this decade, so.

My watch still works like new, but the band is falling apart and the face has a few scratches from me swinging my arm too close to things, so it was time to get a couple nicer ones. I officially love Timex watches - this one is at least 15 years old and I've only replaced the battery twice and the goldtone still hasn't warn off. If I could polish the scratches out of the face it would still look new.

Attachments - I attach to everything. Practically everything. I hate change unless I've decided to enact it. Bugs me when landmarks change and people paint buildings different colors and everything. I'm a softie deep down, and I have this freak of a memory that doesn't forget much, so I can still tell you what everything looks like back to my toddler years.

When I dream and my subconscious defaults to a "home" setting, it's still the Yorba Linda house I haven't lived in since '98. We moved in May '85 and I lived there longer than anywhere else so far. I'd buy it back if I ever had the option.

Vespertilion

Flying blind on a rocket cycle.
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Wow, that's gorgeous, Dragon. Daddy never pruned ours much either, and there were sprays of flower-heavy canes just choking out the side yard. Smelled gorgeous, though, and since my room was on that side, it was always shady-green and cooler than other parts of the (non-airconditioned Texas) house.

ETA: Great Meet-up pic! You all look guilty.

Calla Lily

On hiatus
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.aliceloweecey.net
Dreams: The 100-year-old house I grew up in was once twice the size I knew. It was cut in half to make room for the gas station my folks owned. To this day, I occasionally dream that I'm in its attic, which goes on for the entire original length of the house. The windows show the correct view, everything. There are books and trunks that were there when I grew up, and when I move into the other part, there are dressmaker's forms and different trunks and old books and other unexplored treasures, all lit by the occasional 60-watt bulb on a pullchain. Odd and fun.

xiaotien

bedazzled /bootay shaker!!
Registered
Reaction score
Website
cindypon.com
clovia, we were very very guilty.

i was loud and obnoxious.
and of note, the only one who didn't
drink alcohol. haha!

i'm critiquing after lunch but just
want to google pretty dresses. =)

CheekyWench

O.o
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.elysabethwilliams.com
If you don't prune your roses back to teensy little stumps every year, your roses won't grow.

Oh yeah? (Dogs inserted for scale purposes.)

RosesandTrea.jpg

RosesandChloe.jpg

Dragon, I have a rose bush I always trim back to the ground, never blooms. The other? I let go like crazy. Blooms a few.
IDK what I'm doing wrong or not.

Yours are beautiful.

Dragonstar

a wishin' and a hopin'
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Dragon, I have a rose bush I always trim back to the ground, never blooms. The other? I let go like crazy. Blooms a few.
IDK what I'm doing wrong or not.

Yours are beautiful.

I ignore them. They are on an irrigation system and someone throws vitamins at them every few years, when I remember to tell them. I have no idea why they are as nice as they are. Usually I excel at killing stuffs.

The Purgie meetup pic is awesome! Love it!

I'm getting in a rather social mood. Going to Vegas this weekend to see my brother and friends. That might cure it. :D (j/k - I think I might have to think about a road trip this summer.)

K. Taylor

Bah Humbug
Registered
Reaction score
Website
carlakrae.blogspot.com
Cheeky, you're probably cutting the one back too much. Also, some rose types are once-a year bloomers, others for a whole season or more.

Selective pruning is a moderate approach to keep them controlled yet still natural if your climate is warm enough to not have to cut them back and dig them out of the frosty ground every year.

Jeremy's chest hair doesn't look quite real in that pic for some reason...

Russian - There's a new tech at D's work that's from Russia and the guys find him hilarious. Unfortunately, his English is a bit on the not so good side for answering e-mails in a professional manner, and he's started the new job with attendance issues. Really a bummer since they all like him personally and he's smart enough to do the job. Hard to find techs that actually know their stuff, can stand their ground on the phone, and will take odd hours, and meld with the crew. But it has been fun to hear D's stories of how the Russian guy made them laugh today.

kellion92

A cat may not look at a king
Registered
Reaction score
Beautiful roses, Dragon! Where do you live? It looks like a lovely dry climate where black spot would not trouble you.

Pruning depends on type of roses. Shrub roses and climbers need less pruning. Hybrid teas need more because they typically only have one bloom per stem, so pruning helps them branch well. I like polyanthas best, which are twiggy and require little pruning.

sunna

Registered
Reaction score
Ohhhhhh, roses. I miss roses.

Lily, I'm sure I've said this on this thread before, but if you like black teas Twinings Earl Gray with Lavender is amazing.

And I'll be damned if the various declensions make any sense.

Personally, I find I'm happier just not expecting them to. :rolleyes:

(Seriously: I can remember whole phrases and deconstruct them to add bits to my extremely patchy vocabulary, but if I try to think in terms of structure, my head, it asplodey. This may just be me. Or it may just be Russian.)

Dude, I would be waiting in your hot-tub by the time you got home from work if I could. You and Mr. Sunna sound like such a blast. I'd hide in your luggage for your vacation this year, just because I know it would be fun no matter what jacked-up travel weirdness happened.

I can just see it now: I come home, hair all Buckwheat from driving with the windows down, and Mr. Sunna, instead of kissing me hello, points to the back deck and makes a little I-dunno gesture. And I wander out there and there's Clovia lounging in steam, glass of wine in hand and the rest of the bottle floating next to her, who gives me an eyebrow waggle and asks when dinner will be.

Do this. Please? That would so make my year. :D

Love the meetup pic!!

Now brewing: HUGE Tracts of Land tea. A blend of gunpowder and jasmine, for people who like their tea strong but with a hint of delicacy.

I suppose I'll have to make an exception for this blend, and take mine with milk...

Blondchen

Honey Badger don't give a shit.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.gretchenmcneil.com
So JL leaves tonight for 4 days on the east coast for his fancy private high school reunion. While I desperately need the forced alone tonight to work on this Manuscript From Hell[SUP]TM[/SUP], I'm already getting all "I miss you" and mopey.

WTF is wrong with me?

K. Taylor

Bah Humbug
Registered
Reaction score
Website
carlakrae.blogspot.com
LOL, Cheeky. Yeah, that doesn't narrow it down. :D

If you want a big blooming bush, get a grandiflora rose type. I loved the one I grew. Ton of pure white flowers. The hybrid teas I had were much slower to mature, and the one was only a once-a-year bloomer.

I keep asking for a pair of big pruning shears so I can take care of the rose bush in front - it's currently at least 10 feet tall. Red flowers with a lot of fragrance, and the thing always looks like crap because they aren't taking care of it and I don't have the tools.

I had to laugh when D's father thought cutting it down to the root ball would kill the bush. Ha! Not one this established and not a rose, lol. He's a weirdo that doesn't think anything should be planted that doesn't produce something useful like fruit or nuts or veggies. :rolleyes

dystophil

Wielder of the Literary Lead Pipe
Registered
Reaction score
Website
alexharrow.blogspot.com
I can just see it now: I come home, hair all Buckwheat from driving with the windows down, and Mr. Sunna, instead of kissing me hello, points to the back deck and makes a little I-dunno gesture. And I wander out there and there's Clovia lounging in steam, glass of wine in hand and the rest of the bottle floating next to her, who gives me an eyebrow waggle and asks when dinner will be.

Do this. Please? That would so make my year. :D

I suppose I'll have to make an exception for this blend, and take mine with milk...

Hot tub party at Sunna's house! Wait...I don't have a bathing suit... That's okay, right? I mean, who needs those anyway?

Also, the Brits may have converted me to drink my black tea with milk, too. ;)

Renner... Um. Chest hair. Ew. Ewewew. You can have him. I'll take Scarlett Johansson. Kthxbai.

Status
Not open for further replies.