The No News is No News Purgatory Thread, Vol. 7

Status
Not open for further replies.

sammyig

Vampire Connoisseur
Registered
Reaction score
Morning all.

Had tons of weird dreams last night. Dunno what that was about.

((Ny))

Maryn

Sees All
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I missed that the kitten had been named Doc. Or is this a pet name for Mr. Lily?

Maryn, wiseass

Calla Lily

On hiatus
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.aliceloweecey.net
*snerk*

The kitten's nickname is Doc. His real name is Dioxippus (an ancient Greek athlete, skilled in what was the MMA of his time. He was the only athlete to win an Olympic event by default, because he was so badass that no one would get in the arena with him.

The kitten was going all Parkour on us after a couple of weeks, so that inspired his name search.

CalebJMalcom

And behold... A seed!
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score

Tasmin21

They will come from below...
Registered
Reaction score
Mornin' folk!

I'm taking a day off today, so I can go do the responsible adult eye appointment thingy. Also taking kiddo to school and picking her up, which is a rare treat for both of us.

Tasmin21

They will come from below...
Registered
Reaction score
And apparently, I picked the best day ever to take kiddo to school, 'cause they were handing out donuts to the parents! :snoopy:

It's the little things...

dystophil

Wielder of the Literary Lead Pipe
Registered
Reaction score
Website
alexharrow.blogspot.com
Yay donuts and kittens in the morning! My tiny gray cat apparently was "trapped" under the blanket with me when I slept yesterday and made the most adorable, if slightly put-upon "Let me out, biped" kind of meow.

Caleb, good luck with the paperwork!

Go, Ink, for wordage!

I did not in fact kill my co-worker (though we might have plotted it in quite the detail). I guess Prison Orange would have the advantage that I wouldn't have to coordinate anything with it (as Supervisor Friend tells me, I'm a tad compulsive as far as accessorizing goes).

On which note, I bought a dress in size M this morning and it fits me perfectly. :D The little things, indeed.

chan

Hello!
Registered
Reaction score
Thanks for the welcome, peeps!

Book Forte is beautiful. Seriously lovely books!

Good luck on the words, ink! I need to write a synopsis today. Fun....

Rick

"Thriller" Apprentice
Registered
Reaction score
Good Morning, Purgies!

You're just now figuring that out, Submarine Boy? :D
:ROFL: You're killing me, Red. I'm soooooo looking forward to meeting you. You clearly have no respect for a man in my position. (I've been, er... flipping through Fire's book.)

(((Dys))) You look good in orange to me. (Yay! for size M dress!)

(((Clovia))) "No." * Hits reply and offers chapstick *

Caleb - glad you made it there safe. Good luck with the paperwork.

WOOT! for physician kittens and free donuts.

Ink - good luck with the wordage.

Tas - enjoy the day off.

I've got the day off too, as well as next week. I've stacked up 95 days of Leave, plus I get another 20 days of Job/House-hunting time off since I'm retiring, which I'll have to burn between now and 1 June, so I've got to get started. I'll take one big chunk at the end, around 80 days worth, called "Terminal Leave". I'm looking forward to going Terminal.

Little Red Barn

haz own threads
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
happy friday, purgies.
welcome back, chan!! x0

Dragonstar

a wishin' and a hopin'
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Hi everyone. My 3 days of teaching are done and now I'm back to my 4 days of writing. I have to go to the store this morning, but other than that, I'm curling up under a blanket and tippy-typing away.

Maryn

Sees All
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Atta-girl, Dragon!

The sun is shining and I've laid in what I can buy ahead of time for the upcoming holiday eat-a-thon, so it just might be time to put on the sneaks and take a walk.

My fake NaNo isn't going well, as in badly enough to be abandoned. One of my other half-baked ideas has more appeal at the moment. But as usual, I'm just flumphing around. I need to get serious or I'll just be leaving my heirs a body of work for posthumous publication.

Maryn, wondering how cold it is

xiaotien

bedazzled /bootay shaker!!
Registered
Reaction score
Website
cindypon.com
mornin' puglets!

i'm working on a chinese beauty
in art class that i love dearly. and this
is rare for me to say. i don't love many
of my paintings--i tend to be critical.

i just hope i don't F her up! plan to
share on twitter and fb today. =D

Vespertilion

Flying blind on a rocket cycle.
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Whyyyyy is it Thanksgiving next week already? I need a nap just thinking about it.

Blondchen

Honey Badger don't give a shit.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.gretchenmcneil.com
I don't think I mentioned this yet, but earlier this week I asked for a raise.

Context: I haven't gotten a raise - or a bonus - in five years. Kind of business-imposed "austerity" measures to survive the recession since we're a staffing firm.

But since we downsized to executive suite office space at literally 1/10 our previous rent and sent 3 Lunches Guy and Angry Old Lady working commission only from home, the burden of running this company has fallen to my boss.

Which means it's fallen to me. The woman doesn't even know how to print a check let alone deal with the day-to-day issues of payroll, billing, workers' comp and EDD audits, etc. So even though I've been working part time the last two weeks, I've been under a LOT of stress and basically, I'm the only person keeping this stupid place going.

So I asked for a raise. I hefty one, considering what I mentioned above about no raises in 5 years. My boss balked at it, even though with the raise I asked for I'd still be making less than what she was paying me before, and getting the same amount of work out of me.

We came to an agreement somewhere in the middle, but I'm still kind of pissed off about her attitude. Especially since she calls and emails me repeatedly on my days off asking me questions about shit I've already told her how to do multiple times.

I'm stuck in the office all day today (and yesterday) because boss lady is in Texas on vacation. And apparently, no one made the bank transfer yesterday to cover payroll (that's her job - I'm "not allowed" access to banking.) So literally I had temps taking their checks to cashing places and there were no funds to cover it. Had to call boss in Texas - she was pissed - and let her know. Whereupon she had to call and deal with the bank.

Yes, this is my day job.

Not that my attitude here was ever great, but now I feel no loyalty, no investment, no reason to answer calls on off days or kill myself to get the filing done. Sadly, I still need this job (and the benefits) for at least six more months, depending on JL's situation. Ugh.

Speaking of, CA Bar exam results go up today, sometime after 6pm PST. Cuisinart a Cullen for JL to pass, pretty please?

xiaotien

Registered
Reaction score
Website
cindypon.com
blondie, good for you for asking!
hiss at her for balking! she seems
utterly clueless.

/bootay shake! for your JL!!!

i've posted my chinese beauty in progress:

https://twitter.com/cindypon/status/269488719420067841/photo/1

now i'm at the boba shop on my "day out"
to write.

tomorrow, i sit at the art gallery all day.
Inscrutable Cat original is on display and for
sale! i missed the reception but heard he's
been getting love. =D

xiaotien

Registered
Reaction score
Website
cindypon.com
so philip roth, some award winning guy
i haven't read, told a debut author to quit
while he was ahead.

thoughts?

is he giving good advice ore being
a privileged asshole?

i can't decide.

not that we don't ALL know how crazy
ass this business is. there's a reason
purgatory was created.

but given the options that are out there
now (perhaps not to roth back then, but
he's swept some big awards--so it's not like
he didn't suffer and did well) is it okay to say
to a young writer: DO NOT follow your dreams?

http://www.guardian.co.uk/books/2012/nov/16/philip-roth-young-writer-julian-tepper

Vespertilion

Flying blind on a rocket cycle.
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I don't think he was being an asshole. That piece is short, but it sounds like Roth was sincere, and the author didn't seem discouraged.

I think he's allowed to be honest, at the end of his career, even if people don't like what he has to say. Would it have been nicer for him to just congratulate his fan and take the book? Of course. Could Roth change his mind in a few years, and think it was a dick move on his part to disappoint a lifelong fan? Probably. But it doesn't sound like he was trying to crush anyone's spirit, and if anything, it sounds very human, if impolitic.

We all have days we could have handled better.

Red-Green

KoalaKoalaKoala!
Registered
Reaction score
At the publishing party, whacking the piñata
Website
www.bryngreenwood.com
Speaking of, CA Bar exam results go up today, sometime after 6pm PST. Cuisinart a Cullen for JL to pass, pretty please?

Sending all my powerful positive swirlies JL's way. (Little known fact, curmudgeons actually stockpile their positivity, so they have more when it's really needed.)

Oh how I am thinking of that glorious day when you can afford to walk out and leave boss lady swimming in her own incompetence.

Status
Not open for further replies.