Status
Not open for further replies.

sammyig

Vampire Connoisseur
Registered
Reaction score
Morning all!

Vamp dust for Leanan!

Made it to page 126 in edits yesterday. Let's see how far I get today. God, I'm starting to talk like a game show announcer. This is scary.

MrsBrommers

Registered
Reaction score
Rick, I'm very, very late to the party, but you have my congratulations. I hope you are having a wonderful time!

Snappy, I loved Fear Street as a kid. My mom was a middle school English teacher, and she used to order me a ton of those books off the Scholastic book orders. Along with Christopher Pike, Caroline B. Cooney, and a bunch of other teen horror writers from 20 years ago.

I've been around. Kind of. I've had a lot of up and down and up again with the book currently on sub. I was just released from physical therapy for vertigo, but I'm not much better. It takes time. It's not like physical therapy after you break your ankle or something and see results within a few weeks. It can take months for vertigo. For me, it may be semi-permanent. Driving is precarious because going around curves on the highway or sometimes just watching the stripes on the road can make me dizzy and sick. The scanning motion of my eyes when I read or the new letters popping up on the screen when I type can do the same thing. Medication works only a fraction of the time. It's been very challenging to write or spend much time on the computer. I have three small kids who depend on me to ferry them around to school, appointments, and various activities. I have coping mechanisms, but it's can still be rough. I "just keep swimming" one day to the next about now.

kellion92

A cat may not look at a king
Registered
Reaction score
(((Mrs. B)))

Red, Red, Red, Red!!!! Krampus smut is demanded by all. And you will make some Yule bucks off it.

Maryn

Baaa!
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Morning, people! Except those of you where it's not morning. To you, I bid a fond hello instead.

Maryn, no content to share

JennW

Hangin' with my writing peeps
Registered
Reaction score
Morning purgies!:D

Dragonstar

a wishin' and a hopin'
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Yay, Red!!!

(((Mrs. B.)))

I was approached to edit a blog for my favoritest vet in the world yesterday. His morning radio show may be going into syndication and he was also asked to write a weekly blog for a well-known pet site that gets somewhere around a million hits a day. He came to me as his resident "expert" on writing. Yeah, yeah, it's pretty laughable when newb me is an expert, but I said yes anyway.

He has always been so good to me and my dogs and besides, it lets me do something in a roundabout way for animals. I turned down money. My podcast producer was ready to shoot me for that. I figure if he makes a ton, then I'll revisit, but meantime, I'm doing a good deed and building good karma. And paying back someone who is always ready to walk me through the medical issues with my dogs, even though he isn't in an office again yet.

When he called, even though he already asked to talk to me about writing stuff, his first questions were about my girls. He's a good man and young and even easy on the eyes. I'm enormously pleased that his show is becoming so successful, but I'll also be glad when he is back in an office.

Rick

"Thriller" Apprentice
Registered
Reaction score
(((Mrs. B))) Welcome back, and I hope the vertigo stops soon!

Red - Yay! for Krampus smut. End of Oct? Go-go-go!

a well-known pet site that gets somewhere around a million hits a day.
* ponders putting dog into Book 1 and adjusting target audience *

phoenix

rising from the ashes
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.lizmichalski.com
{Mrs. B}

Yay Red!

Dragon, that's awesome.

Bad dog story of the day: The Slobbering Beast has been very unhappy lately on leash around other dogs -- he's had a couple of unpleasant experiences this summer, and he's holding onto them. I was hiking with him today in the woods and a very small white fluffy dog barked at him. I didn't pay much attention, just kept going, but apparently he did. I went left, he pulled right and SNAPPED the web leash in HALF (while wearing a prong collar!) The little fluffy white dog got the surprise of her life. Thank God he didn't actually do anything -- just stuck his nose under her and almost lifted her into the air, but no snapping or growling or anything. Scared the $#$# out of me, though, and definitely out of the other dog owner. (Who hopefully will think twice before letting her pet randomly sass other animals...)

Off to buy a new leash.

kellion92

A cat may not look at a king
Registered
Reaction score
Phoenix, I bet the Beast felt better and less aggressive as soon as he snapped that dratted leash. Of course, he was the only one...

Cake

Registered
Reaction score
phoenix - haha thank goodness he didn't do anything! That would have given me a heart attack.

Today at work I was going through proposals sent in by authors before we do a meeting about them next week. Was very strange being on the other side of things, but it's not fiction so I don't feel as dirty :p

WritingDemons

Reclusive doesn't begin to cover it
Registered
Reaction score
Website
jackykendricks.blogspot.com
Coming really late the reading as a kid discussion, but: I didn't get into reading until jr. high. I read @nastaia Krumpn1k in elementary, but other than that, I didn't like reading. It wasn't until I picked up a copy of The Sw0rd of Sh@nara my brother had left lying around and discovered the wonderful worlds of fantasy that I found I really loved reading.

Zoom forward to twenty-year-old me and the revelation from my mom that I'm dyslexic. I tell you what, I had one of those stunning moments where my entire childhood suddenly made sense. It also explained why reading was always such a chore for me, until I discovered a genre that was WORTH taking three months to read.

After that I read constantly, and now I can read a book in a day. A very slow 12-14 hour day, but still a day. :)

Calla Lily

On hiatus
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.aliceloweecey.net
{{{phoenix}}}

Dragon, yay!

Not. Happy. Someone(s) may have stolen our (small) apple crop sometime in the last week and a half. I need to check when I get home, because it could've been deer going after the low-hanging fruit, but people also could be thieves and scum. :mad:

dystophil

Wielder of the Literary Lead Pipe
Registered
Reaction score
Website
alexharrow.blogspot.com
Morning, well...okay, early afternoon, Purgs!

Red, count me in in Team Pro-Krampus-Smut. :D Also hugs for everything else. :Hug2:

(((Phoenix and BSB))) Poor puppies. Glad everything went okay after all. May the Big Slobbering Beast only encounter nice, friendly dogs from now on.

Lily, that's just not cool. :( We have tons (tons!) of apple, pear and apricot trees in our backyard and two cherry trees up front. We have neighbors come up to us and ask whether they can have any of the fruit all the time. Since neither housemate nor I really do anything with them, we just have other people go at it (really, I leave anything outdoorsy to Housemate, since I have a black thumb or something... ;)).

Um. So that whole sleep thing? Still not working out for me. Actually contemplating whether the meds my doctor prescribed aren't actually making it worse. Guess it's too early to tell. But hey, I "made" myself chill and sit through a whole two-hour movie last night (which actually was writing research of a sort, so hey, I did something writing-related!). Something I haven't let myself do in...oh, a year at least? There always seem to be so many other things to do. Anyway, it's a silly little thing, but I did that and finished reading a book last night and that's all I did. Sometimes it's the little things.

suki

Opinionated
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Hi all. Quick lunchtime checkin. I repped as I went, as I wasn't sure if I would get interrupted.

((Mrs. B)) I hope the recovery doesn't take as long as you fear.

((Dys)) - if it doesn't start working, call your doctor.

Phoenix - see, as the owner of a little dog with fear aggression, I always worry about something like this. Yay for your dog only scaring the little furball.

yay for Fire! I responded on twitter, but I am assuming you cheered here somewhere, too.

Lily - I hope it was just deer - it would be sucky if people theived your apples.

Still working on the outline for my agent (note outline, not synopsis, which makes it simultaneously better and worse). I hope to finish tonight.

~suki

dystophil

Wielder of the Literary Lead Pipe
Registered
Reaction score
Website
alexharrow.blogspot.com
*gives dys a totally platonic full-body massage, to encourage sleep*

You call THAT platonic?

...I like your take on that one. :tongue

Anyway, yeah, seeing my doctor for a follow up at the end of the month actually, so we'll see.

Now I must do homework and start writing all the book reviews for all the YA I've read recently.

Also, continuing yay's for Fire! :D

And I hope Suki gets to catch an actual break, too. :) Also, synopses are scary. I'd take outlines over those, too. :)

Amarie

carpe libri
Registered
Reaction score
Skype visit later today and I just happen to have black kitten to show the kids who is just like the black kitten in WR. They'll be far more interested in her than me.

I don't know if I've posted this before, but the librarian who arranged this told me their area is so poor, parents won't let the kids have library cards because they are afraid they will run up the fines. Very sad.

Status
Not open for further replies.