The No News is No News Purgatory Thread, Vol. 7

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dragonstar

a wishin' and a hopin'
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Off to class. I'm trying to remember the 23 students who are awesome and not think about the problem child. We are now at 6 notes explaining how to do an outline properly as far as content. *sigh* 2 after I referred him to the damned text.

*Waves forlornly as she wanders off to class*

kellion92

A cat may not look at a king
Registered
Reaction score
Thanks for the support, all! Too weary to catch up. My call is rescheduled to a secret time -- I don't want to tell you when because if you started to hold your breath, I couldn't bear to have that on my conscience.

Rick

"Thriller" Apprentice
Registered
Reaction score
(((Kell))) ETA: Whew! Glad you're still on track with Agent call. * starts holding breath *

Dys - glad the scholarship reception went well, and good luck on the lesson plans, then get some sleep.

Go Amarie! Kick some @$$!
+1! You've already got his name, so time to kick ass!

LW, I call Rat Rule, too! Spill!
Ditto! I'm guessing, but - SHOW US YOUR COVER!

*Waves forlornly as she wanders off to class*
:hi: Bye Dragon! Have fun!

and *i* did all of that as well for my
pinup fotos. i was doing all sorts of twisted
and unnatural things so i could look beguiling.
(arched back, standing on toes, thrusting booty
out, etc etc.).
I'm not going to tell you what we do
on submarines on Halfway night.
Nope. Not gonna tell.

BTW, what is it that causes your posts
to come out this way?

xiaotien

bedazzled /bootay shaker!!
Registered
Reaction score
Website
cindypon.com
rick what's halfway night?
is there a pinup orgy?

my posts come out that way
because i press return. ha!
has been so since i got my
first email in 1991. end of screen
seemed ridiculously far away.

dystophil

Wielder of the Literary Lead Pipe
Registered
Reaction score
Website
alexharrow.blogspot.com
Ahhh, I'd actually been wondering about that, too, Cindy. That explains it.

Count me in with those who want to be in the know about Halfway Night!

Keeping myself awake by listening to the new Muse album (which is bloody fantastic, by the way!) while making lesson plans (yes, I know I'm boring). Living the glamorous life. :tongue

Amarie

carpe libri
Registered
Reaction score
Cake, major congratulations on the job.

Amarie, good for you (and your kiddo!). I hate, hate, hate stubborn, uncooperative teachers who put their own egos before the good of their students. Personally, it is one of my personal nightmare visions to have to deal with an angry parent. Which of course will happen, but honestly, that's the time to get cooperative and come up with solutions that will benefit the student. Teaching isn't a sport in ego-flaunting. Wow. :(

I don't think the angry parent thing happens much with good teachers, especially one who try to deal with a situation early.

I was talking to my kids at dinner about why they love certain teachers. They like the teachers who let their sense of humor show, yet keep control of the class so that they aren't always yelling at the ones who are goofing around. My 7th grader has a Latin teacher who looks like you'd imagine a stereotypical Latin teacher, yet the woman has little toys on her desk that she'll use to get a student's attention, like this crazy-looking noise clapper she'll employ to wake up a sleeping student.

Of course any kid can sense whether or not a teacher really wants to be there, and that's a part of it too.

lwalker

Butterflies
Registered
Reaction score
Cake, major congratulations on the job.

I don't think the angry parent thing happens much with good teachers, especially one who try to deal with a situation early.

I was talking to my kids at dinner about why they love certain teachers. They like the teachers who let their sense of humor show, yet keep control of the class so that they aren't always yelling at the ones who are goofing around. My 7th grader has a Latin teacher who looks like you'd imagine a stereotypical Latin teacher, yet the woman has little toys on her desk that she'll use to get a student's attention, like this crazy-looking noise clapper she'll employ to wake up a sleeping student.

Of course any kid can sense whether or not a teacher really wants to be there, and that's a part of it too.

QFT.

My daughter's teacher this year is AMAZING. We're four weeks into the school year and I adore this woman, as does kiddo. She bounces onto the bus every morning, saying "I wonder what fun thing we're going to do today?"

The teacher sings and dances and cuts up with the kids, and the curriculum is so inventive. I'm absolutely sure that we chose correctly, and this is where kiddo belongs. :snoopy:

Aside, because I know there are a few other mama bears in here: interim grades came home yesterday. The teacher warned us at open house night that Cs and even Ds are not uncommon, especially at first, as the kids get used to much harder material and a faster pace. My kid has 4 As and 2 Bs, and Es in conduct and work/study. I know that emailing a copy of that to her teacher from last year would be petty and childish and bitchy and not serve any purpose -- but that didn't stop me from thinking of it for a good minute. "She's not that smart," my ass. :tongue:

*stares at inbox*

*taps foot*

I'm never going to get anything done today. And I didn't get much sleep. Like a kid waiting to leave for Disney. :D Someone distract me!

Tasmin21

They will come from below...
Registered
Reaction score
Mornin' folk!

Working from home today, 'cause I had to take the kitten to the vet to get fixed. (please join me in hoping fervently that nothing happens to this cat. Kiddo is SO freakin' attached to the little furball)

Other than that, I got nothing.

ink wench

ray of motherf#%&ing sunshine
Registered
Reaction score
Morning, all.

Rainy here. Friends are arriving tonight and staying for the weekend, and now it's supposed to rain most of the time. Ugh. Don't know what we're going to do. I'd say drink, but they'll have their kids with them and we'll all be cooped up inside together. Eep.

Maryn

Sees All
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
LW, we wait with baited breath. (I baited mine with coffee.)

Ink, light drinking and party games works for lots of shut-in families, with breaks for cooking or baking. Scattergories, Apples to Apples, Taboo, Sequence, Clue. Depending on the age of the kids, you can also send them out to play in the rain, with umbrellas, or to use the rain as their plaything by making a dam or water maze in your garden (which you undo with a fork or hoe later).

Maryn, drinking coffee until the brain kicks in

dystophil

Wielder of the Literary Lead Pipe
Registered
Reaction score
Website
alexharrow.blogspot.com
Morning Purgs!

Just popping in to agree with Amarie. I think it's totally obvious whether a teacher actually wants to be where they are and it shows in their curriculum and the enthusiasm they bring to the classroom. Here's hoping I can be one of the fun teachers who tries new things.

On which note, I'm off to see the senior class I'm observing present their "Let's get rid of the Mullet" pamphlets. (After reading Swift's A Modest Proposal, Coordinating Teacher had them do their own list of "Things That Must Go" and that was probably one of the more hilarious outcomes. Also: there were crayons involved in the making of this. You can never go wrong with crayons. ;))

Ink, seconding lots of games!

Later all!

Snappy

A new year, a new avatar
Registered
Reaction score
Morning, morning!

Think I caught everyone with the reps.

Widening sub round for MS 2, since MS 1 is in all-but-dead phase. Convinced agent to let me edit just one more time, since I'm a neurotic lunatic. Thankfully, she still reps me and called the MS "perfect". Love her, but editing one more time nonetheless. Draft nine, anyone?

Tasmin21

They will come from below...
Registered
Reaction score
Those of you with books out: Do you ever think that sometimes you were happier before you knew all the stuff that happens behind the scenes in publishing?

kellion92

A cat may not look at a king
Registered
Reaction score
Hello, Thursday. Be more Friday, please.

Yay for the new job, Cake!

Good luck with revision and new sub round, Snappy! Hugs on Bk 1.

Lost the rest of the thread.

firedrake

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
Those of you with books out: Do you ever think that sometimes you were happier before you knew all the stuff that happens behind the scenes in publishing?

Yes, yes and yes.

I would prefer to be writing in blissful ignorance without having to worry about the next submission, the fact that my books sell fuck all, that they never get reviewed, etc. It's such a joyful industry to work in. :D There's always something to fret about but, still, probably wouldn't trade it for anything, apart from maybe winning an obscene amount of money on the lottery.

sammyig

Vampire Connoisseur
Registered
Reaction score
Morning all.

Checking in late cause I had my every-three-month shot in the ass this morning. :)

A couple of things. I'm now supposed to get my second round of edits for the vamp book around the end of the week. And, we are slightly changing the title as we think it might be hard to see on a smaller screen being so long. So... we're discussing possibilities. It will likely just be a variation of what I have now, but shorter.

I also, somehow, cranked out about 3,000 words yesterday. If I could do that everyday, I'd have this W.I.P. done by the end of the month.

FruitTree

Registered
Reaction score
Morning Purgs!

Just popping in to agree with Amarie. I think it's totally obvious whether a teacher actually wants to be where they are and it shows in their curriculum and the enthusiasm they bring to the classroom. Here's hoping I can be one of the fun teachers who tries new things.

From the "teacher" side of the desk (though it's true that teaching in higher ed is *way* different from K12 in terms of system - the techniques are really not that different) I'd agree, too - good teachers are all different from each other, but the one thing they share is enthusiasm.

IMO, some of the least effective teachers I've seen (and here I'm talking about the people that really ARE trying) are trying to mimic "best teaching tips" - i.e., they are aping someone else's style.

Seems to me that knowing one's self is at the root of doing pretty much anything well, from teaching to writing to making dinner. And yet so often, we try to go for the easy "this is the best way" route...

Huh. I think I'd better go get some coffee before *I* go enter my classroom full of bright-eyed college freshmen. I am way too wandery/ full of platitudes this am.

Hope you all have a great day!

xiaotien

bedazzled /bootay shaker!!
Registered
Reaction score
Website
cindypon.com
mornin' puglets!

brunch with our lovely blue today, woohoo!

dragon, i did start by writing poetry.
but i am not doing so with my posts. ha!

tas, i'm more jaded and cynical since
being published. i've got through some
drama with my books--race fail
cover blow up on line, my speshul hater,
nothing i was prepared for before publication.

so yeah. i see the smoke and mirrors
for what it is now.

i can't say i'm less happy though.
(though i have my moments of being
down.)
we can still self publish as an alternative
(which wasn't the case just a few years
back) and i've pretty much learned to separate
my self worth from publishing expectations.
how good my book is based on: advances,
royalties, film deals, etc. because if i did,
i'd believe i was a failure and give up.

and i pretty much refuse to believe i'm
a failure. i love my books and i'm proud of them. =D
/bootay shake!

GJB

Oh, what a ride
Registered
Reaction score

Good question. Made me think. Happier, no. Stupider, way stupider.

Status
Not open for further replies.