The No News is No News Purgatory Thread, Vol. 7

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tasmin21

They will come from below...
Registered
Reaction score
Ok, the next time I work from home and think "Hey, I'll just do a quick workout on my lunch break", somebody hit me with Lily's spatula.

firedrake

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
I don't know, Fire. I don't think those quotes are very damning. "I do not feel as passionately as you do about the fandom" is not the same thing as "hates the Twilight fans that made her famous," as the headline claims.

I think it's uncool to publish chat logs though, if they were conducting privately or in a members-only section.

I think it's uncool to pass off someone else's creation as your own. But that's just me.

kellion92

A cat may not look at a king
Registered
Reaction score
I know there are many reasons that some dislike J@mes, but this charge seems trumped up.

lwalker

Butterflies
Registered
Reaction score
Went to oldest kid’s field day today, barely walked in before I was told by 2 children and a mom that they found a box of bullets in the bathroom attached to her classroom.

And the kid who got taken to the office was the boy she’s been complaining has been picking on her for 2 weeks. Generally one to encourage her to figure it out for herself, I’ve been going “ignore him” or “use your words and ask him to leave you alone” but I hadn’t encouraged her to tell or gotten involved in it myself.

Not today. We spent 20 minutes in with the vice principal being reassured that she’s safe there. They sent the kid home, and said the parents swore that they no longer own a gun and couldn’t pinpoint where the kid found the ammo. They also said since it was field day and all the kids were outside all morning, they searched the classroom and every bathroom, the gym, and the cafeteria to make sure he couldn’t have hidden anything else.

Purgy moms? Opinions?

Also, WTF kind of world do we live in where a second grader is bringing this shit to school?

Grrrr.

*goes back to revising and lurking*

Amarie

carpe libri
Registered
Reaction score
Went to oldest kid’s field day today, barely walked in before I was told by 2 children and a mom that they found a box of bullets in the bathroom attached to her classroom.

And the kid who got taken to the office was the boy she’s been complaining has been picking on her for 2 weeks. Generally one to encourage her to figure it out for herself, I’ve been going “ignore him” or “use your words and ask him to leave you alone” but I hadn’t encouraged her to tell or gotten involved in it myself.

Not today. We spent 20 minutes in with the vice principal being reassured that she’s safe there. They sent the kid home, and said the parents swore that they no longer own a gun and couldn’t pinpoint where the kid found the ammo. They also said since it was field day and all the kids were outside all morning, they searched the classroom and every bathroom, the gym, and the cafeteria to make sure he couldn’t have hidden anything else.

Purgy moms? Opinions?

Also, WTF kind of world do we live in where a second grader is bringing this shit to school?

Grrrr.

*goes back to revising and lurking*

I don't believe the parents no longer have the gun. It's probably unregistered and they don't want to admit it. In this district, the police would be called for an incident like that. Some kids that age want to show off, and they will take things they aren't supposed to have to impress friends without meaning anything evil by doing it, but that also means little kids will pick up a gun if they find it.

Years ago when my son was in second grade, he was friends with a boy whose dad was a policeman. The dad was a great guy and I knew he was obsessively careful with his weapons and had a gun safe etc. The kid though, was completely untrustworthy and always really wanted to get his hands on them, so I told my son if he ever saw this kid with anything, gun, knife, anything, to leave right away and come home.

I think that's the message you have to give to all children, because even with kids whose parents you think you know, you may not know whether they have guns in the house or not.

lwalker

Butterflies
Registered
Reaction score
Oh, yeah — and though I have always loved our school, I’m having a bad day with it. That substitute that literally put my friend’s son into counseling with her shit about his ADHD? She was back in HIS classroom yesterday and today. No, I’m not kidding. And, another child told my friend yesterday that she walked over to her son's table group, looked at the boy next to him and said “Timmy, is it difficult to have to sit next to H?”

What. The. Fuck?

Really, y’all. I’m not particularly violent, but my redneck heritage is coming out here. Foot, right up her ass.

I have to admit, I’m a little aggravated with my friend because she’s so nice. Too nice. And that’s why people treat her this way a lot of the time. The school administrators know she’s a pushover, and the teacher feels untouchable. Were it my child, they’d be paying his therapy bills AND removing that witch from the classroom. It’d be easy to keep him home, but damned if my kid would miss two days of school because they won’t fire this old cow who’s tormenting him in front of his class. I’d go sit in the room if I had to, but they would find someone else to sub for his teacher.

/rant.

Really going to revise now. Nichelle might get an unexpected dose of pissiness, though.

lwalker

Butterflies
Registered
Reaction score
Dee, see — that’s what I thought. But hubs and my FIL, who is a retired police officer, both said it was ok and she should stay.

She and I will have a long talk this afternoon. And I plan to email the teacher and ask what they plan to do to keep my kid safe for the next 5 weeks, too.

Thank GOD, she’s going to the other school next year.

Amarie

carpe libri
Registered
Reaction score
Lwalker, if the parents claim they got rid of the gun and it was registered, they should have paperwork to prove it. Can you can put on your investigative reporter hat and find out?

lwalker

Butterflies
Registered
Reaction score
Lwalker, if the parents claim they got rid of the gun and it was registered, they should have paperwork to prove it. Can you can put on your investigative reporter hat and find out?

Hmmmm. I don’t know. I dn’t know much about gun laws here. But I’ll find out. Thanks!

SteveCordero

Pit Livin' & Purgatory Dreamin'
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.stevencordero.com
YAY, LG!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I'm wondering when St3phan13 M3y3r is going to sue? Is she waiting for the books to hit their peak in sales and then strike with a lawsuit in order to get the most profits?

That's what R0lling St0nes did with "B1tt3rsw33t Symph0ny" by The V3rv3.

CalebJMalcom

And behold... A seed!
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Gun laws are touchy and a State by State thing. There is also the "Gun show" loop hole. My first retail job was working for an outdoor and sporting goods store. I was a camping and backpacking associate but was certified and trained as a backup sales person for the gun counter. Anyway the gun show loop hole is this. In gun shows you can walk up and buy a gun. You filled out all the paperwork, the back ground check was done under your name, you pass, pay for the firearm and walk away with it. As you walk away someone offers you money for it and you take the money and give them the gone. It's a perfectly legal private transaction in most states. Then there is the family loop hole. Same situation where a gun is purchased. Then it is given as a gift to a family member again perfectly legal in most states.

caleb, the person with way way way too much random trivia and knowledge locked up in his head.

ETA: I would like to add it's also very situational from state to state and the interpretation of the individual lawyers and judges. It's also interesting that if you get a conceal carry permit in one state you may or may not be allowed to carry it in another. Just depends.

another ETA: I was trained to be a back up gun salesman for the simply fact that I was "cute, baby face and disarming to the women" Yeah when they were trying to make a gun sell to a woman they paged me to come over.

Last edited:

Rick

"Thriller" Apprentice
Registered
Reaction score
* stumbles into Purgatory *

:hi: How's everyone doing? I hope it's been all good news and no bad the last few days.

It's been a busy week for me, but it's finally over and I'm at the airport in Seattle, on my way home.

I've got almost an hour before I board, and I'm going to catch up a bit. :)

See ya!

Rick

"Thriller" Apprentice
Registered
Reaction score
A few weeks ago, a girl in kiddo's 5th grade class brought a dildo to school. And she knew how to use it - "My mom does this with it..."

Too. Many. Questions.

(I shake my head - I don't even know where to begin on this.) Luckily, kiddo wasn't in this girl's "circle of friends", and apparently didn't see it. Sex Ed this month with kiddo is going to be tough enough without having to answer those types of questions.

ETA: Thanks Caleb!

lwalker

Butterflies
Registered
Reaction score
ETA: Hey, Rick! And — OMG. ew. how the hell would a kid know what mom does with ... never mind.

Turns out Caleb is right. And there’s no requirement to register a gun in this state.

Scary on one hand, but maybe less likely that they were lying on the other.

The school did call the cops.

The vice principal called me just now to tell me what happened, and what they’d said to the children, and also that the kid was suspended and when he’s allowed back, if my little girl has ANY trouble with him, she needs to tell. “We do not take this lightly, and I wanted to let you know that if she’s too shy to speak up, you speak up for her. If he’s bothering her, I need to put a stop to that.”

She did say that the parents were suitably horrified and apologetic, and didn’t argue with the punishment.

Ugh. Parenting is hard.

Need to dig into revising before the baby wakes, but am afraid anything I write right now will be either pissy or weepy.

Rick

"Thriller" Apprentice
Registered
Reaction score
LGwenn!!!! YAY!!!!! THAT'S AWESOME! Calls for dancing bananas...

rainbow.gif
rainbow.gif
rainbow.gif
Lela - Rep please!

Haupe

Mad Thread Killa
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
janohara.net
lwalker, how do they know this kid had anything to do with the bullets? I feel I missed something. I'd actually be concerned that an adult or older child with a plan stashed them there...

*waves hi to Rick*

lwalker

Butterflies
Registered
Reaction score
Haupe, sorry if I didn’t explain properly.

He admitted it after a lot of questioning by the vice principal. ETC: He started off saying nothing, then went to saying his sister “might have put them in his bookbag but he didn’t know how they got out” and finally admitted to bringing them in, but never would say why. The dad also confirmed that they belonged to their family. Apparently they were in a clear little plastic box that the dad recognized.

Status
Not open for further replies.