The No News is No News Purgatory Thread, Vol. 7

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tasmin21

They will come from below...
Registered
Reaction score
Happy birthday observed, Steve! (No pics, since I'm at work, but I'll try to hook you up from home tonight.)

Re: Kids & Email: Kiddo is 9 and has never asked for an email account. Since the only computers in the house belong to me & her father, she can't use them without us knowing, so there'll be no secrecy going on. (I'd kill her) She does occasionally ask for a cell phone, 'cause "so-and-so has one". I usually first ask Who the hell would you call? Her new answer is "You." So I tell her "Then use so-and-so's phone."

*shrug* She'll get one when her father and I are ready, and since she's not dating til she's 50 and we're both dead, it's gonna be a while. ;)

Spent yesterday at hubby's softball practice (I actually ran laps in the park) then we went and had a cookout dinner with my cousin and his wife. I think hubby is determined to make sure I thoroughly bond with what little family I have left now. Hubby grew up with his herd of cousins like they were all brothers, so the fact that I see my cousins about three times a year really bothers him.

sammyig

Vampire Connoisseur
Registered
Reaction score
We have that here too. I remember going through it when I was little.

Amarie

carpe libri
Registered
Reaction score
Happy Birthday, Steve,

Point was, there's nothing wrong with a simple life for kids. It's good to learn how to entertain yourself, and it's good to be encouraged to do healthy indivdual activities like reading. There's enough social life at school.

But that's you. My daughter occupies herself on her own most of the time, but she is a social child and i'm thrilled she has such a nice group of friends. Developing skills to interact in a group is just as important as other aspects of life. I can already tell she is not going to be one of those kids who hates junior high or high school because of the social issues, and that is important to me.

Thalia

better off with a really good lie
Registered
Reaction score
I was an extremely self-entertaining kid, but that's been really bad for me growing older. Most of my friends don't go to my school and don't live near me- I met them through swimming and theatre- and the only way to keep up these friendships is through the internet (and actually, mostly bbm). And I need a strong social life for my own mental health.

Of course, I'm going to boarding school next year, so I'll be with people constantly and probably looking for alone time.

Maryn

Sees All
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Happy Birthday, Steve!

steveblakevogue.jpg

Maryn, wishing you the best

sunna

Registered
Reaction score
*pant pant*

Okay, I just read through 7 pages. Jeebus, you people do talk. :)

Lisa, your signing looks like it went wonderfully, and I so wish I could have been there! Love the pics.

Cindy and Clovia, hot damn, but that necklace is amazingly beautiful.

Niy, love the hair, and lovely pics!

{{Ink}} ugh on the yardwork soreness. I dodged most of the heavy-duty stuff this weekend, but I did finally bust out the new pressure washer and clean off the entire back of the house. I felt all badass (those things are actually really cool), but my hands are like big bags of lactic acid today. Yow.

Just home from a lovely day in London with Dys, VFury and Para. It was marvellous. It just went too quickly. :(

HAS A JEALOUS.

You guys look like you're having so much fun.

I think I started using email when I was 14 or 15, I'm not sure -- but then again, it wasn't widely used at all before that, and it wasn't really something I thought of as a primary means of communicating with friends --most of my friends didn't have a computer. I did discover RPG (in its most hilariously basic form) at 13, and spent rather a lot of time doing that. :rolleyes:

My little cousins, one of whom could take apart/rebuild a computer by the time he was 11, started using email much, much earlier. I think they had FB accounts by the time they were 12, each of them. I don't know if I think that's necessarily wise -- it seems like my aunt spends a lot of time wading into the online dogpiles and flame wars that their friends drag them into-- but they're both good kids, and handle it fairly well.

SteveCordero

Pit Livin' & Purgatory Dreamin'
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.stevencordero.com
Mornin', Purgies!!!

Thanks for all the bday wishes and great pics, keep em' coming.

Had an awesome weekend. Avengers was fantastic and I had a feeling it was going to break boxoffice records because our 1:50 Saturday showing had sold out and the theater had to actually add more showings. Went to dinner afterwards (Alex, Betsy & I, with Elena at my SILs). Then on Sunday, my actual bday, my wife cooked a great dinner and actually baked me a cake. For those on Facebook you've seen the pic. And, last, the Knicks finally won a playoff game after 11 years. I believe my streak continues because the Knicks have never lost on May 6 as long as I remember.

{{{Ink}}}

CalebJMalcom

And behold... A seed!
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
A blasphemy has been spoken to me today. Amazon, she sits behind me, had never seen Dark Crystal. So I brought it to her. She finally watched it this weekend and said it was "bad and dumb."

Thalia

better off with a really good lie
Registered
Reaction score
Avengers was all sold-out yesterday! I guess that's what happens when there's only one movie theatre on the island... *sighs*

sunna

Registered
Reaction score
Caleb, if there was ever a statement that called for an I know you are but what am I? response, that there is one o' those.

I loved The Avengers. Loved. I was slightly worried going in, because the alien-overlords-invading-earth meta theme completely ruined ROTF for me, but Joss handled it with with his usual wit.

And The Hulk, oh my god, hilarious. The whole theater was howling.

Leanan-Sidhe

leaving trails of fairy dust
Registered
Reaction score
Happy Birthday, Steve!!!

Copying Sunna and posting another Black Widow, courtesy of the Marvel Swimsuit Edition:

320px-Marvel_Swimsuit_Special_Vol_1_2_page_23_Natalia_Romanova_Earth-616.jpg

sunna

Registered
Reaction score
I do love Steve's Birthday. :drool

kellion92

A cat may not look at a king
Registered
Reaction score
I love the cover, Niy! Wonderful to have your own photo on it -- taken by you, and of you.

Status
Not open for further replies.