The No News is No News Purgatory Thread, Vol. 7

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tasmin21

They will come from below...
Registered
Reaction score
Back from the doc office. She has apparently given up the idea that my body conforms to any type of normal, and as long as my levels are pseudo-normal and I'm feeling good, she's gonna let me be. (Thank gods!) Don't have to go back for a year.

Also, The Editor was talking about reading a nice little Asian fantasy called Silver Phoenix on Twitter today, so I had to throw my two cents in that she had made a fine choice. ;)

Snappy

A new year, a new avatar
Registered
Reaction score
Dragon, (stealing from Maryn), part of the non-fur crowd who thinks fur belongs on her dogs, not her men - unless of course he's really hot and then she could maybe overlook it :D

+1 Little hair = okay. Man-looks-like-ape = not okay.

agreed with this statement here. I was born 83 and knew who magnum P.I. was, and macgyver (which my parents banned me from watching) and knight rider, and all the other greatly terrible 80s movies.

+1. I'm 1984, which I always thought was cool. Thank you Orwell.

I've reached the point where I dress how I like, listen to music I like, watch and read what I like, and if the rest of the world disapproves, they can suck it, because I don't give a crap anymore. It's my life and I worked my ass off to get here.

So there. :D

Love it.

That's the one thing that bothers me about losing weight now--chubby faces look younger. I'm hoping if I do it steadily enough, I won't end up constantly wearing a hella-tight ponytail as a cheap face-lift.

Yup. That's the one thing about having a chubby round face. I'm 28 and I STILL get carded for EVERYTHING. Even to buy lotto tickets!

When I'm typing, on my computer, y'know... Can I really, really... when I type the end of a sentence, am I really allowed to put ONLY ONE SPACE after the period now? Is this really true in the modern world? I mean, is this how the young people do it? Is this what young magazine editors are expecting me to do?

I'm so embarrassed.

Yes. Yes, it is true. One space only. Enjoy it!

kellion92

A cat may not look at a king
Registered
Reaction score
Kris, I'm older than you and I haven't used double spaces for 20 years now!

CalebJMalcom

And behold... A seed!
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
LMAO!

Okay, wait. I'm going to take advantage of the fact that we have so many young whippersnappers in here!

No, not like THAT!

But here is my question. When I'm typing, on my computer, y'know... Can I really, really... when I type the end of a sentence, am I really allowed to put ONLY ONE SPACE after the period now? Is this really true in the modern world? I mean, is this how the young people do it? Is this what young magazine editors are expecting me to do?

I'm so embarrassed.

Taking advantage? *steps in line*

Actually it is the norm now for only one space after a period. I am still guilty of the two spacer because I went to a backwater country school and the computer classes were taught by a dirty old man that was hell bent on the two space rule and would count off a lot on any assignment if you even missed one of those extra spaces. I'm trying really really hard of breaking myself of it but it's difficult.

Tasmin21

Registered
Reaction score
Kris -I still use double spaces, and I assume if my editor doesn't like it, she changes it without mentioning it, 'cause I've never been called on it.

Kris

like motherf&cking Tolstoy
VPXIII
Registered
Reaction score
Sheesh. I do it when I can remember -- and I did first hear of it a LONG time ago -- but I have trouble breaking the habit! I learned to type on an actual typewriter :) hahahah.
*hides in shame*

ETA: and Tas-- one reason I'm still unsure about it is that writing has been the MAIN component of ALL of my jobs since about 2001. And no has mentioned the one-space thing to me since about 1996! If it was a big deal, wouldn't people mercilessly shame me into stopping doing it?

Last edited:

Calla Lily

On hiatus
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.aliceloweecey.net
Kris, that's not an "old" question; it's a typesetting question. :) Yes, one space after periods, always, forever, no exceptions or you get sent to the paddling stool.

:D

I started typesetting in the mid 1980s. That's where I relearned the spaces-after-period thing.

See? You're young again! :D

Snappy

A new year, a new avatar
Registered
Reaction score
Sheesh. I do it when I can remember -- and I did first hear of it a LONG time ago -- but I have trouble breaking the habit! I learned to type on an actual typewriter :) hahahah.
*hides in shame*

Funny enough. I had typing classes in Junior High. The machines were these huge, heavy old typewriters that you had to slam down the keys to get to work right. I ended up breaking two keyboards because I got into the habit of typing so heavy.

JBuck

Registered
Reaction score
I learned on a typewriter as well.
Makes me feel all romantic and writerly.
We only used one space, though.

JBuck

Registered
Reaction score
I learned at a 'business school' along with manual bookkeeping.
Ha, that sounds so old fashioned now.

CalebJMalcom

And behold... A seed!
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Totally had a moment of "I'm really weird" last night. Target had some of the Amy's organic frozen pizzas on sale but only had cheese pizza. So I bought a couple took them home harvested some lamb's quarter greens, amaranth greens, and day lily flower buds and scattered those on top and baked it. Pulled it out and I'm staring at it going "Caleb this isn't normal" shrugged it off and ate it and loved it.

phoenix

rising from the ashes
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.lizmichalski.com
I still do two spaces. None of my editors have ever mentioned it.

Homemade chocolate oatmeal raisin cookies are a healthy alternative to breakfast and lunch, right? Fiber, fruit, chocoloate (chocolate is a good thing in any form...) washed down with some green tea it is a complete meal?

Kris

like motherf&cking Tolstoy
VPXIII
Registered
Reaction score
Kris, that's not an "old" question; it's a typesetting question. :) Yes, one space after periods, always, forever, no exceptions or you get sent to the paddling stool.

Oh, I get sent to the paddling stool? Oh, never mind then!!! *eyebrows*

ETA: My typing teacher was named Mrs. Poulos. I really want to use that name in something someday.

xiaotien

bedazzled /bootay shaker!!
Registered
Reaction score
Website
cindypon.com
mornin' puglets!

tas, thank you for the SP shoutout
on twitter! <3 /bootay shake!

kris, alas, yes. i held out through two
novels, but wrote current unsold with only
a single space behind periods. i thought it
didn't matter but my copy editor was simply
too polite to tell me. when i said he could be
thankful i was only using one period on thanksgiving
weekend, he was thankful.

i think it's easier for them to format with only
one space behind.

i had been only doing one space behind
in my 10 years online, so it's not THAT huge
of a leap for me.

vfury

Hearts the furrily challenged.
Registered
Reaction score
I learned on a typewriter, too and was taught two spaces in my computer classes at school (late 90s; 1985 baby here).

Didn't learn it was one space until I stumbled across it online a few years ago. Took ages to break the habit!

(I miss that typewriter...)

Tasmin21

Registered
Reaction score
I learned on an old Brother typewriter of my mother's, which turned out to be the same machine they taught us on when I got to high school (early 90s). The teacher was very disturbed when I started taking the machine apart to fix some things.

At that time, they were still teaching two spaces.

Parametric

Registered
Reaction score
You could just set up a macro to convert all double spaces after periods to single spaces. Then all you ever have to do is hit a button. (Also good for applying standard manuscript formatting.) Or a simple search and replace: ". " with ". ". Or tell autoformat to fix it whenever you type it.

xiaotien

Registered
Reaction score
Website
cindypon.com
so you know during my mexico retreat?
i was STUNNED and AMAZED by all
the authors who had no idea how to type
properly!

haha!

i took typing (very happily too!) in 9th
grade and author friends were using two fingers.
they were fast, yes, but it was all a little crazy.

no offense to puglets who type crazy. =)

i guess we just compensate if we never
learned properly?

i was also madly in love with a boy named
tommy in typing class. certain he didn't know
my name or that i existed. we had no classes
together except for typing.

*sighs wistfully* haha

sunna

Registered
Reaction score
I learned on an IBM PS/2 with Word 4.0 for DOS. :) I believe I used one space until college, when I was told that was wrong. I was taught two spaces my freshman year of college, and then they went to one space my junior year... in English and S&T, that is.

AAA, APSA, APA and gods only know what else stayed firmly at two-spaces. It was fairly confusing, having half the rules change for every paper I wrote. :rolleyes:

It's nice not to have to worry about that any more.

Xiao, I am a crazy-typer. I know I was forced to take some sort of typing class when I was 12, but I was way more interested in boys. :) I can still do about 55-65 wpm, though, so I don't worry about it.

xiaotien

Registered
Reaction score
Website
cindypon.com
that is speedy!

at my fastest--when i was wooing
or being wooed on irc with hub, i neared
100 wpm--now i think i'm lucky if i'm
around your pace.

one author friend POUNDED the keyboard
tho. haha! that was crazy. it was just
very interesting to see how other writers
worked.

GOOD NEWS!

i sold another painting! yippeee!

CalebJMalcom

And behold... A seed!
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I learned to type in 6th grade. The computer lab teacher's name was Mr. Cravens he would always assign the early blooming girls on the corners and hover over them when they were typing. Went most endowed on the corners and down graded and the middle of the rows were the guys.

vfury

Hearts the furrily challenged.
Registered
Reaction score
I type crazy, too!

Dys thought it was hilarious when she watched me type. :)

raburrell

Treguna Makoidees Trecorum SadisDee
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.rebeccaburrell.com
I think I made the two-spaces-to-one switch while writing the last manuscript. (Which I'm told will go on sub a month from today, btw)

Oh, and age-wise, I'm twenty eighteen :p

Status
Not open for further replies.